Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
101 - 120 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,985 Posts
Having just read this thread I thought I'd better check my account as the 14th Jan was my end date and I received an email on the 12th same as the one posted by @George Jetson with the same prices when I clicked on the link.

I've gone to the old dashboard to check my end date and it is showing 14th Jan 2023 not March this year and seems like I've just about squeezed through the loop hole for another year's cheap prices.

·
Registered
469 Posts
If I were one of the people who Octopus was emailing now to extend the current deal so that their belated email could conveniently fall 45days before the end of the contract period then I’d want the energy ombudsman to rule on whether that is allowed.

It is a stretching of the rules to cover up for a, completely avoidable, braking of the rules.

And customers certainly shouldn’t be prevented from getting tariffs that would had been available if Octopus had sent the email on the correct day.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I’ve just had an email from Octopus as my 2018 Go Tariff is ending in March. The new Go rates offered are double what I’m currently on with the variable rate now being cheaper!

·
Registered
97 Posts
You make a very pertinent point there and very well described too. Thanks.

So had things gone as they should have, I believe I would have received my ~45 day renewal invitation notification on or very close to 23rd December.
I see that the latest scary 30p/7.5p tariff is named December 2021 V1.
The preceding 24p/5.5p one was named September 2021 V1.
But on the official tariff lists now, neither of these state the actual day of the tariff introduction, just the month.

So following your very sound logic, just in case I also end up having to attempt some negotiation, does anyone know the exact date when the December 2021 V1 Go Faster tariff was introduced? I think it was pretty late in the month (maybe even at the end of the month?) as I checked it on the Octopus site frequently and didn’t see the very shocking 30p/7.5p one until January.

Hmmm, this is getting complicated now. Peter
I don't know the exact date the tariff increased I'm afraid, but as per posts on the iD3 forum (see link below) the 24p/5p tariff was still being offered on the 21st December.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If I were one of the people who Octopus was emailing now to extend the current deal so that their belated email could conveniently fall 45days before the end of the contract period then I’d want the energy ombudsman to rule on whether that is allowed.

It is a stretching of the rules to cover up for a, completely avoidable, braking of the rules.

And customers certainly shouldn’t be prevented from getting tariffs that would had been available if Octopus had sent the email on the correct day.
It's certainly 'not right', and I shall be following it up with them.

The acceptable resolution for myself is that they allow me to renew at the 24p/5p rate that was available at the time I should have received my 45 day email. I'll await the renewal email (still not received despite the tariff being extended!) and see what they offer.

Anything other than the rates that were available in early December would be completely unacceptable and will certainly be heading to their complaints department, and ultimately to the ombudsman if necessary.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,604 Posts

The acceptable resolution for myself is that they allow me to renew at the 24p/5p rate that was available at the time I should have received my 45 day email. I'll await the renewal email (still not received despite the tariff being extended!) and see what they offer.

Anything other than the rates that were available in early December would be completely unacceptable and will certainly be heading to their complaints department, and ultimately to the ombudsman if necessary.
Yes, any idea by octopus that they can just extend your existing contract for 50 days so they can send you the 45day notice is wrong. It's a 12m contract so if no email is received within the 45days, then I would expect to continue on the existing contract for another 12m. Mine renews on the 25th and I've not had any renewal emails.

You can check the emails you've been sent from you account in case you have missed it - I saved a screenshot of the recent list of emails.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yes, any idea by octopus that they can just extend your existing contract for 50 days so they can send you the 45day notice is wrong. It's a 12m contract so if no email is received within the 45days, then I would expect to continue on the existing contract for another 12m. Mine renews on the 25th and I've not had any renewal emails.

You can check the emails you've been sent from you account in case you have missed it - I saved a screenshot of the recent list of emails.
Have you checked what the (old) dashboard says now? Mine got updated yesterday and now says 2nd March - it was previously the 23rd Jan.

Like you I've had no emails, and none are shown in the Octopus account.

·
jim5452
465 Posts
Occtopus are quite flexible on this there is an announcment on the AGILE FORUM

""Needless to say, if anyone is upset at being left on their existing Go prices, they are more than welcome to contact us and we can get them moved to the latest ones (or onto a different tariff if they prefer).""

·
Registered
97 Posts
Occtopus are quite flexible on this there is an announcment on the AGILE FORUM

Needless to say, if anyone is upset at being left on their existing Go prices, they are more than welcome to contact us and we can get them moved to the latest ones (or onto a different tariff if they prefer).
Do you work for Octopus?

I don't think anybody is upset at being kept on their current tariff for a few extra weeks - the upset is that the renewal email wasn't sent on time, meaning that many of us have missed out on a better rate than we'll now be able to renew onto when those extended weeks are up.

So yes, I have an additional 48 days of my current prices, but then 12 months of much, much higher prices than I would have been paying had the renewal come through on time. 31p/7.5p instead of 24p/5p. I'm assuming that the 31p rate is what I'll be offered now of course (and yes, I know what they say about assumptions). That's the issue.

Where is this Agile forum? I'd be interested to see the post from Octopus.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Having just read this thread I thought I'd better check my account as the 14th Jan was my end date and I received an email on the 12th same as the one posted by @George Jetson with the same prices when I clicked on the link.

I've gone to the old dashboard to check my end date and it is showing 14th Jan 2023 not March this year and seems like I've just about squeezed through the loop hole for another year's cheap prices.
Shhh! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,604 Posts
Have you checked what the (old) dashboard says now? Mine got updated yesterday and now says 2nd March - it was previously the 23rd Jan.

Like you I've had no emails, and none are shown in the Octopus account.
What old dashboard? I login and can see invoices, emails, account details, account balance etc. The last invoice dated 22/12 shows the GO tarrif ending 25/1/22.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,225 Posts
What old dashboard? I login and can see invoices, emails, account details, account balance etc. The last invoice dated 22/12 shows the GO tarrif ending 25/1/22.
Scroll right down to the foot of the main dashboard web page. Select the link to old dashboard. Then you can see the present tariff end date to see if they’ve surreptitiously changed it since your last statement. Peter

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,604 Posts
Scroll right down to the foot of the main dashboard web page. Select the link to old dashboard. Then you can see the present tariff end date to see if they’ve changed it since your last statement. Peter
The cheeky so and sos have said it ends on March 22, giving them the 45days they need to send me the email.

I'm not having it but will wait until the the existing renewal date. I'm fairly sure its against Ofgem rules and is certainly underhand.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
33,006 Posts

The acceptable resolution for myself is that they allow me to renew at the 24p/5p rate

That is where I would have been at. Offering 24p/5p after 3 months 'malaise', a bummer but we're all in it.

30p/7.5p I would have been very malcontent with because I have been asking them to update me on prices since late November.

They might have missed me heading off to the Ombudsman but there are, surely, others who will. The idea of bridging the contract doesn't strike me as legitimate if it is only to then offer a delayed advisory of change. Not clever in the circumstances.

I think if Octopus is reading social media like this, it needs to reconsider implementing a 24p/5p, it's hard on everyone but fair(er).

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
33,006 Posts
The cheeky so and sos have said it ends on March 22, giving them the 45days they need to send me the email.

I'm not having it but will wait until the the existing renewal date. I'm fairly sure its against Ofgem rules and is certainly underhand.
You should follow up now, so you're ahead on the Ombudsman's surely very long queue.

It's not the renewal in 3 months time that is wrong, it is the renewal now to a 3 month 'non-contract' that has been enacted to get around regulations.

I doubt that any regulators will feel very warmly to anyone trying to get around their regulations.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,604 Posts
You should follow up now, so you're ahead on the Ombudsman's surely very long queue.

It's not the renewal in 3 months time that is wrong, it is the renewal now to a 3 month 'non-contract' that has been enacted to get around regulations.

I doubt that any regulators will feel very warmly to anyone trying to get around their regulations.
Yes, I will contact them next week.

101 - 120 of 150 Posts