Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It came to me that many of us have our EVs set up on scheduled timers and charges.

Make sure to turn those off if you are not regularly commuting with your vehicle.

In addition if you don't plan to use your vehicle for several days at a time, it may be worth discharging the battery to around 50%. This may benefit longevity for some chemistries.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm in this position. My wife and I both have Nissan Leafs and neither car will get much use over the next few weeks. Currently both are charged to 70% which I assume is a reasonable level to leave them at. Would there be any benefit in discharging to 50%? Would there be any benefit in using the cars from time to time even though we've nowhere to go at the moment? (I may do this anyway to stop myself going mad!)

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
It's ok to leave to any value between 80 and 50%.
If you go for a drive, say 30/50 miles(ish) from time to time it will beneficial not only for the battery bit the car overall.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
70% should be fine. I certainly wouldn't leave it at 100% for a two week isolation.

If you want to run the battery down without going anywhere just leave the heater blasting for an hour or two (depending on battery size!) with the car locked.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,131 Posts
I'm in this position. My wife and I both have Nissan Leafs and neither car will get much use over the next few weeks. Currently both are charged to 70% which I assume is a reasonable level to leave them at. Would there be any benefit in discharging to 50%? Would there be any benefit in using the cars from time to time even though we've nowhere to go at the moment? (I may do this anyway to stop myself going mad!)
A little drive into the countryside, walk along a footpath, picnic and drive home. Can all be done without getting within 2 metres of anyone outside the family.

Might be good for you two as well as the battery.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I would say 80% is too high to leave continuously for more than a few days. If you are planning on not using the car for a few weeks then 40-60% would be better :)

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I will be taking out my car at least once a week, why ?.
1. Helping to keep my sanity in one piece.
2. To ensure that the 12 Volt battery receives some charge.
3. It will also help to remove the surface rust forming on the brake disc's.
This also this reduce the chance of the parking brake becoming seized onto the brake disc's after being applied over a long period of time.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,781 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Essentially, the lower the better when it comes to SoC. But the risk is if the cells become too discharged the battery could brick. So there is a balance between completely flat and empty. 50% is reasonable, also gives you some charge if you need. 10% might be risking it especially with a vehicle like a Tesla with considerable "vampire" drain.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Based on what?
Based on the what I have read and heard over the past 10 years.

"As low as possible" is absolutely not the best approach. In fact, keeping a battery with very low charge is possibly worse than very high charge.

Seriously, if you are keeping you car unused for a while 40-60% is the very best way to look after your battery.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Being retired, I don't have a regular pattern so I have to set my Leaf's charging timer according to what I am planning to do in the following days.

If I have a longish (for my 13Reg 24kWh Leaf) journey planned for the following day, I will set my charger to charge overnight to 100%.

If I have nothing (or only short journeys) planned for the next day, and I have more than 50% (= enough for a quick visit to the in-laws) I don't bother to plug in to charge overnight.

If I have nothing significant planned for the next day and I have less than 50% I will plug in and set the charger to charge to 80%.

I will be taking out my car at least once a week, why ?.
1. Helping to keep my sanity in one piece.
2. To ensure that the 12 Volt battery receives some charge.
3. It will also help to remove the surface rust forming on the brake disc's.
This also this reduce the chance of the parking brake becoming seized onto the brake disc's after being applied over a long period of time.
Agreed, and unless I am ill or the situation in Shropshire gets much worse I will be doing a weekly shop.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
After I've self-isolated myself for a while, who is going to reset my contactor? :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
As it is unlikely we will be using a Polar Rapid charger for at least the next few weeks, does anyone know if it is possible to suspend the monthly subscription and then just restart it when we need to use it again?
Do you still keep the same card and then they re-activate it when you want to start again or do you have to pay for a new card?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
As it is unlikely we will be using a Polar Rapid charger for at least the next few weeks, does anyone know if it is possible to suspend the monthly subscription and then just restart it when we need to use it again?
Do you still keep the same card and then they re-activate it when you want to start again or do you have to pay for a new card?
Have you been a heavy Polar user in the past? Because that's the only reason for keeping up a subscription after the change in pricing structure. For casual use, the Polar Instant app is a much cheaper solution. You have to do the sums of course. :)

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
For casual use, the Polar Instant app is a much cheaper solution. You have to do the sums of course.
But there are some legacy chargers which will not work with Polar Instant (Ex Worcestershire Council Plugged-in-Midlands posts for instance).

·
Registered
238 Posts
Have you been a heavy Polar user in the past? Because that's the only reason for keeping up a subscription after the change in pricing structure. For casual use, the Polar Instant app is a much cheaper solution. You have to do the sums of course. :)
Yes, average cost per kWh, including the subscription, has worked out at less than 15p/kWh. Also, I have seen so many people at Polar chargers trying to use the app, with no success, that I prefer to have the card/sub. Also, there appears to be a number of chargers that can't be used with the app.
Basically, I just want to know if I can suspend the subscription until things get back to normal, without needing to pay for a new card. I have checked the polar website, but it is not clear in the T&C's or FAQ if you can restart on the same account with the same card.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts