Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... I’d forgotten how wildly inaccurate ICE predictions were!

Just before the last trip I went on, the car reported ~400 miles in the tank.

The fuel light came on after 170, with another 30 predicted in the tank (which decreased by another 3 miles a few hundred feet later!)

I don’t think I’ve ever known any EV range prediction to be out by 200 miles 🤣

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,928 Posts
Yep, a bit like how people quickly forget about service and repair costs for ICE.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I don’t think I’ve ever known any EV range prediction to be out by 200 miles 🤣
Of course there aren't that many EVs claiming a range of a lot more than 200 miles. At least not with it so much above 200 than reporting 200 too few wouldn't look really silly !

Reactions: TJEV

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Honda Jazz e-hybrid in mixed conditions, everything from 30-40mph in town to 70(ish) on the motorway, with ACC.

Only achieved 40mpg or something in the end... I think a lot of the issue was that it was basically running with the engine clutched in at higher speed, not really regen-ing a lot and not much time spent in electric drive.

Reactions: Woodulike

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,498 Posts
Self-charging hybrid fail. So much inefficiency with bad compromises of both worlds......

Its energy-efficient character sees combined CO2 emissions of 102-110g/km and fuel economy of 58.9-62.8mpg (WLTP).

No wonder, Honda said it could do 62.8 mpg whereas you only achieved ~40mpg.

Somehow, people are only surprised by EV range false claims and don't raise an eye brow for stupidly high MPG claims.......

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it’ll do 60mpg around town in mostly-EV mode with lots of regen and minimal generator usage, in summer when the ICE isn’t required for heating.

Maybe 🤣

Reactions: wyx087 and Neilew

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,498 Posts
Exactly, the testing methodology is not representative of real world. WLTP is only slightly less broken than NEDC, all result of car company lobbying. People have learnt to take MPG as rough guideline whereas people has range anxiety drilled into their head over last 10 years.

I personally feel local EV driving is non-issue, solved back in 2011. So I only look at long distance driving for new EV's. This means the ONLY method of testing I trust is Bjorn's 1000km challenge.

·
Registered
467 Posts
my old megane had an official figure of 94.7MPG. driven normally i would struggle to get 50. I did 1 trip at 40-50mph mostly and averaged 80+mpg on that, but i didnt touch the brakes the whole trip and didnt go over 2000rpm. I can EASILY do the claimed range on an ev

1 - 10 of 10 Posts