Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Europe’s July auto sales figures are great news for electric car lovers but very bad news for Tesla.
Tesla fans have long argued that with such a huge head start in electric car sales it can’t be caught by legacy OEMs, but that theory was blown out of the water in July, according to respected auto market analyst firm, Jato Dynamics.
While electric vehicle (EV) sales accounted for 18 percent of the total sales in Europe in July, Tesla sales cratered by 76 percent to just 1050 sales in the month.
The Covid-19 pandemic might have smashed global auto sales in the first half of the year, but its impact was far lower on electrified, plug-in cars.
EV registrations in Europe were up 131 percent year on year, to 230,700, in July.
The Renault Zoe was by far the highest-selling EV in Europe in July, with 146 percent year-on-year growth, but there was not a single Tesla in the top 10.
Renault sold 9280 Zoes in July, followed by the Hyundai Kona (4405, with 111 percent growth), the Volkswagen e-Golf (4094).
Total EV registrations in Europe jumped from 23,400 sales in July 2019 to 53,200 in 2020, with the models on offer climbing quickly from 28 models in 2019 to 38 this year"

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,689 Posts
I can't find the article but I think it was the same in June. Tesla doesn't seem to do very well, unless it is close to the end of a quarter...

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Also Renault is giving away it's cars, literally! In Germany they are almost free and a town in France just got a load.
Also the French postal service is slowly moving over to an EV fleet and has large swathes of Zoe's going in.

·
Registered
17,473 Posts
Tesla are going bankwupt. All Tesla owners are trading in their cars for a Zoe.

I have already owned three Zoes, so it’s too late to save me.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Depends what they mean by 'sales'. Every businessperson knows there is a world of difference between bookings (when you agree the sale) and billings (when you deliver the stuff). In the context of the Forbes article I would expect sales to mean bookings, in which case the headline has some truth to it. If it means billings, then arguments about factory closures and ships come into play. But you have to remember that Teslas are still a premium product costing at least £40K and there are now at least half a dozen very decent but more modest vehicles available, so its not a surprise that Teslas are not in the top 10. The drop in absolute sales, though, would concern me if I was Teslas sales director for Europe.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,689 Posts
Depends what they mean by 'sales'. Every businessperson knows there is a world of difference between bookings (when you agree the sale) and billings (when you deliver the stuff). In the context of the Forbes article I would expect sales to mean bookings, in which case the headline has some truth to it. If it means billings, then arguments about factory closures and ships come into play. But you have to remember that Teslas are still a premium product costing at least £40K and there are now at least half a dozen very decent but more modest vehicles available, so its not a surprise that Teslas are not in the top 10. The drop in absolute sales, though, would concern me if I was Teslas sales director for Europe.
Why would Forbes talk about reservations?!?!?! This is sales numbers. Exactly at the same time as the July car sales numbers for the UK were released....

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,689 Posts
@Rooster-x You do understand that we are talking about Europe sales, right?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Yes I do, I was making the point how Forbes had cherry picked on a particular data point of sales of model 3 in Europe for the month of July, overall it is Second Place for the year to the Renault Zoe, a car that is half the cost of a Model 3.

EV Sales

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,689 Posts
That is generally how one analyses a specific localised market, especially around the time of the release of sales figures for the latest time period...Useful in identifying trends, changes, etc.

You don't have to agree with the analysis, but you can't argue with the figures, especially by cherrypicking your own...;)

·
My Evezy.co.uk referral code: b4552
Tesla Model 3 SR
420 Posts

·
Zoe Devotee
9,221 Posts
Trump will say that this is "Fake News"
I dunno he's too busy bad mouthing the opposition who is currently rising above it and descending into name calling. Trump really is a petulant child, one who clearly has Alzheimers too.

Reactions: GOSPORT DAVE

·
Registered
42 Posts
Trump will say that this is "Fake News"
I think you meant he would say that this is fake news. Pretty sure he's not interested in European EV sales stats.

Either way, that is not exactly a fact-based refutation of the argument in the article.

Tesla Stans can point to financial quarters, boats, and covid factory shutdowns all they want. To me it shows that Tesla is not as far ahead of the major auto manufacturers as they or their supporters claim.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Shock horror cheap electric car being discounted to the hilt outsells car double the price with no chance in hell of a discount.
Tech in a Tesla vs tech in a Zoe?
I think Tesla are comfortably ahead still and i am sure Elon will welcome the news that Renault are selling lots of EVs.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Question is whether Forbes will have another article about "Tesla sales in Europe up 300% this month!" when the next shipment comes in. There's a good reason why Tesla, and increasingly more manufacturers, release their own figures quarterly rather than monthly.

Zoe is doing very well, and outselling the Model 3 in a few key markets even when looking at quarterly sales, but year-to-date the 3 remains the #1-3 selling BEV in every major European market (except Norway for some reason).

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
290 Posts
Actually as an EV supporter I don't care an iota. Every EV sold is one ICE less on the road and one more nail in the coffin of Big Oil. Good for Renault and shame on Forbes to suggest Tesla might be losing steam on the basis of some cherry picked data.

·
Premium Member
4,112 Posts
Actually as an EV supporter I don't care an iota. Every EV sold is one ICE less on the road and one more nail in the coffin of Big Oil. Good for Renault and shame on Forbes to suggest Tesla might be losing steam on the basis of some cherry picked data.
Same here, I don’t give a flying fig what EV people buy, as long as it is one.

Buy a Tesla, buy a Renault, what does it matter?

·
Registered
503 Posts
article: Tesla Blown Away As Renault Dominates Europe’s July EV Sales Party

In mainland Europe, the incentives that the Zoe gets are the same as the incentives that the Model 3 gets; there's no difference. Same for e-208, e-Gold etc.

Zoe, e-208, e-Golf and the like have the advantage that they are narrower, smaller than a Tesla, so they are more nimble in towns; since parking situation in my are is horrendous, car size was a factor in my decision. Also, they are cheaper overall to buy. Further, Renault, at least in France and Germany, heavily promoted the Zoe. Tesla may work with word of mouth in the US, but in conservative France and Germany it is probably still seen as an exotic car manufacturer. There has been quite some negative news about Tesla and Musk in Germany in the past few years, and that didn't help much overall.

The large "sales" numbers Tesla got at the beginning of the year were related to the pre-orders from the previous 2 years. Once the pre-orders were delivered, the number of new orders are constant and not impressive.

In addition, Zoe is taken up by fleet owners: good range, cheap, good internal space, good service coverage. If you are a German local council or in the health care area you're very likely nowadays to order either Zoe or e-Corsa. Since most fleet owners charge their cars overnight, ZE50 without CCS looks very attractive.

Comparing sales of Zoe with sales of Model 3 are is a bit obtuse, different target groups. But it does show that OEMs are taking care of the lower segment of the market.

As usual, the most important aspect is:
Every EV sold is one ICE less on the road and one more nail in the coffin of Big Oil.
Buy a Tesla, buy a Renault, what does it matter?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts