Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
At around $2 a gallon, is a hard sell over to electric for them.
I"m not so sure. If they do (say) 50% more miles and get less mpg , then their gas prices might easily equate to ours, eg their average weekly spend on petrol could be the same as ours.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I"m not so sure. If they do (say) 50% more miles and get less mpg , then their gas prices might easily equate to ours, eg their average weekly spend on petrol could be the same as ours.
I have been to Florida on holiday more times than I like to mention and travelled extensively.
Both fuelling and covering mileage in a Mid sized SUV at around £1 a gallon still works out WAY cheaper than what we paying to travel in the U.K.
Even if the car / wagon is returning between 15 to 25 Mpg then is still cheaper.
You realise how expensive the fuel is here when you return home and go to refuel your own car and watch the pound counter on the fuel pump spinning around in a blur !.

·
Super Moderator
11,103 Posts
oth fuelling and covering mileage in a Mid sized SUV at around £1 a gallon still works out WAY cheaper than what we paying to travel in the U.K.
Fuel prices in the US aren't £1 or even $2.00 a gallon anymore. Los Angles is just over $4.00 per US gallon. Montana where there is no sales tax, no requirements for clean fuel and low fuel duty is $2.68 / gal-US.

I posted references earlier in this thread.

At $4.00/gallon and with tax breaks, an EV doesn't look too bad compared to driving a 18mpg SUV.

NW Montana is different. A LEAF or i3 isn't going to work there in the winter. They will get stuck. Daytime speed limits are 80mph on many roads. 80mph + long distances + no real public charging makes driving an i3 or LEAF 40 impractical even in summer. An AWD Ford with 200+ mile range would makes owning an EV practical but maybe not cost effective.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Fuel prices in the US aren't £1 or even $2.00 a gallon anymore. Los Angles is just over $4.00 per US gallon. Montana where there is no sales tax, no requirements for clean fuel and low fuel duty is $2.68 / gal-US.

I posted references earlier in this thread.

At $4.00/gallon and with tax breaks, an EV doesn't look too bad compared to driving a 18mpg SUV.

NW Montana is different. A LEAF or i3 isn't going to work there in the winter. They will get stuck. Daytime speed limits are 80mph on many roads. 80mph + long distances + no real public charging makes driving an i3 or LEAF 40 impractical even in summer. An AWD Ford with 200+ mile range would makes owning an EV practical but maybe not cost effective.
Fox News report taken from yesterday.
As of Monday morning, the average price of regular unleaded fuel was $2.36. That’s 23 cents below the national average, and a $2 savings on a full tank of gas.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,627 Posts
EVs are not cheaper on fuel. They are made to look cheaper by manipulations of tax rates.

It is purely a question of taxation, and the wholesale-to-retail price margin is also the other effect.

Whether the UK rate of taxation on fuel fairly reflects the environmental cost is .... a different thread ......

£1.30 at the pumps is around 35p/litre at cost, pre duty and VAT
so maybe around 2.5p/mile at ~60mpg.

Average UK price per unit is around 13p/kWh pre VAT
so maybe around 3.2p/mile at 4mi/kWh

·
Registered
9 Posts
Maybe the base model is listed just over 40k because Ford is not keen on selling any base models and don't want to encourage sales without options by pricing under 40k.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Fox News report taken from yesterday.
As of Monday morning, the average price of regular unleaded fuel was $2.36. That’s 23 cents below the national average, and a $2 savings on a full tank of gas.
Ahh but that's a US gallon 3.785 litres as opposed to an imperial Gallon 4.54 litres
Just remember 98.8% of statistics are bollocks (Vic Reeves)

·
Premium Member
10,187 Posts
At around $2 a gallon, is a hard sell over to electric for them.
Don't forget gas is nearer $4 in California and is one reason EVs are more popular there than (say) Florida - HOV stickers being another reason. A Ford Focus gets around 35MPG (USA) on freeway, so there are savings to be made there.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts