Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there experts
Any help with my smith eddison transit would be amazing - it was completely fine when I bought it a week ago but now it's got some problems....

I was stupid enough to try charging it from one charger from a house socket - thought it had worked but it just said it did then ran out of battery. So I fitted the correct 32amp connection from my house and it did one full charge no problems but since then charger 1 has stopped working completely and the locking system has stopped working too which leads me to believe that there's more than one thing going on.

I'm looking for advise and possibly someone who has some experience to check it out if possible - I'm Southampton based

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Hi there experts
Any help with my smith eddison transit would be amazing - it was completely fine when I bought it a week ago but now it's got some problems....

I was stupid enough to try charging it from one charger from a house socket - thought it had worked but it just said it did then ran out of battery. So I fitted the correct 32amp connection from my house and it did one full charge no problems but since then charger 1 has stopped working completely and the locking system has stopped working too which leads me to believe that there's more than one thing going on.

I'm looking for advise and possibly someone who has some experience to check it out if possible - I'm Southampton based
It seems that all of these conversions are a huge money pit of problems.
@Mike Schooling is probably your best bet in terms of getting to the bottom of the problem...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi there experts

Hi Jesse Ive also just bought a Smith van, and although I am totally ignorant about electronics, I cant see just charging on one charger causing any problems? if its disconnected/ isolated properly, can somebody who does know what they are on about please educate. I thought about doing it myself, seems a good idea ( in ignorance) if you got stuck at somebody's house, hopefully your issue wont be a difficult fix, but whatever it is keep us all posted

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,533 Posts
One week ago... good .... return the vehicle to vendor and ask for your money back.

Seriously, don't ask any more questions here, you will be wasting time. Invoke the new consumer rights and get your money back asap. Reject it as being unfit for sale.

I've been lumbered with an eExpert that almost works, but doesn't. Mike Schooling is clearly as fed up with it as I am.

If anyone wants 84 x 160Ah winston thundersky cells, PM me and I'll throw a van in free with two new tyres, a hydraulic wheel chair lift, a refurbished eberspacher heater, and all the other crap I have burned my money on trying to bring it into full time use.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys I'm the owner of a ford transit smith edison conversion and I'm looking to upgrade the commando connector so I may use public type 2 connectors (so much money spent already on breakdown). Had it for a month now and only problems with the charging only works on high voltage. Can I return it to the seller ? Due to lack of charging points ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there experts

You will need to create a seperate supply from your house consumer unit with an isolator switch and a mbs of 45 or 50amps which will do the job I have a mwb transit and every charge it gives me 70miles max to be safe 60 then ensure you get home to recharge. I am looking to find a battery supplier who could supply similar with up to 200 or more miles per charge if possible.
I have heard that tata car's in india have a prototype car that does 800 kilometers per single charge they have also come up with a car that runs on air which costs RS70 per fill that's like 85p to 90p isn't that cool if it takes off. but its only for a small car with 3 people inc the driver.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You will need to create a seperate supply from your house consumer unit with an isolator switch and a mbs of 45 or 50amps which will do the job I have a mwb transit and every charge it gives me 70miles max to be safe 60 then ensure you get home to recharge. I am looking to find a battery supplier who could supply similar with up to 200 or more miles per charge if possible.
I have heard that tata car's in india have a prototype car that does 800 kilometers per single charge they have also come up with a car that runs on air which costs RS70 per fill that's like 85p to 90p isn't that cool if it takes off. but its only for a small car with 3 people inc the driver.
also you will need a 10mm 3 core cable but get an armoured one flexi type

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Prakash!
Ironically, I rang Going Green yesterday, and James said is your name Prakash Patel (I don't even have an Indian accent!) I was planning to build some 85.3kWh batteries for the smith Edison, and a 43kWh for myself. the 85.3kWh would give around 200m when driven carefully. Also plans for a 50-80kW CHAdeMO onboard. They won't be cheap though! I used to work for a subsidiary of TATA in Norway, using the same EIG 20Ah Lipo cells.
Kind regards, Nigel Tegg BEng.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts