Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Ford To Make Electric Cars 'Attainable To The Masses'

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Grumpy-b 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I read the article differently, that they COULD make a mass market EV, not that they will, or even want to. Plus, how can they claim a full range of electric vehicles? That would be like Toyota claiming they sell a full range of electric vehicles...

#6 ·
Less than a year ago ford ceo was saying that EVs were not their market sector, and they would not be making more vehicles, but concentrate on their core business. ie producing ice vehicles from large SUV/ Pickups to small urban vehicles. VW should have been the largest producer of EVs if you believed all the new PR releases they have made over the last 4 years. Oh and their battery technolgies are way beyond the rest of the makers. Not sure what happened but I think spome of these PR announcements are meant for another reality than the one we live in, probably the one from the 1950s where smoking was good for you and the 1990s where debt was great.
I am a sceptic by nature, I would like Ford to really enter the EV market, as it would move the advancement of EVs into mainstream usage a lot. But I fear their rear of financial loss wont take them in that direction.

This post has been deleted
#9 ·
What are the chances of any established auto-maker really "winning" with EVs?

Not many horse carriage makers became car manufacturers ... Nissan-Renault, GM, BMW and VW are doing quite well to still be in the game all things considered ...

[Mitsubishi are not a car maker but a huge industrial conglomerate, so I'm not counting them :)]

#10 ·
#11 ·
Not discounting Mitsubishi, just pointing out they are more than just a car maker ... which may well prove to be a source of success!

I am still wondering about the Outlander driver who parked next to me yesterday though - he blocked me in so I ended up having a 40 minute rapid charge (thought it was just an arrogant 4x4 who had parked right next to me and didn't think I could open my door so just sat reading, hoping they'd have got their coffee and gone before I was full, until it started to get silly and I had to squeeze through the gap to stop the charge and avoid my battery exploding!). Waiting half an hour to save 30 miles of petrol?

#16 ·
I took a Focus EV out at the LCV two years ago, and it was very evidently a conversion, not only does it have the battery pack in the boot, the high placed weight makes its handling a less than great experience. Unlike the smart which is also a conversion that has its battery pack under the floor. Not what you would expect from a well engineered main stream Vehicle maker.
The point I was trying to make wasnt relating to non pure EVs, most of which from Ford have been built by others for them, and mostly killed off, like the Transit connect which by all accounts is a decent vehicle. But the main common feature with allof the conversions was that that they were expensive to build. Unless Ford decide to seriously build EVs as main stream products costs wont come down. They appear to accept that, and simply put enough investment in EVs to keep selling cars in California.
Come on Ford, make the cars, shift the market.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.