Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my Ford serviced and MOT'd at a Ford main dealer and it costs £189, which includes free collection/delivery and full AA roadside assistance.

I just booked my LEAF in for a service and MOT at a Nissan main dealer (also delivery/collection and roadside assistance cover), but the price is going to be £223.

The two dealers are less than a mile apart geographically.

Given that the Ford has spark plugs and oil to be replaced as well, whereas the EV doesn't, there does seem to be a big discrepancy in the servicing costs.

I thought EVs were supposed to be cheaper to maintain than ICE cars?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've taken out a 3 year service plan on my MGZS EV for £387 inc a MOT when cars 3 years old. I got a service schedule off the dealer and as you say just a load of checks, also inc AA assist each year and free software upgredes

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna
260 Posts
I would've thought those prices show the Ford service to be surprisingly cheap rather than the Nissan service being surprisingly expensive?

Considering it includes breakdown cover I thought Nissan servicing was good value.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Last time I saw the service costs written down they were : Servicing is required every 18,000 miles and costs £159 for a minor service, and £209 for a major one.

You will pay extra for the car to be collected and delivered though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've just got a 3 year service plan for my MG ZS EV for £380 inc AA Breakdown and a MOT once car is 3 years old. Asked for a service schedule it appears it just lots of checks. Brakes batteries lights etc. Plus software upgrades and a valet and they collect and return within 15 miles thought that was pretty good value

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Why on earth do you want to have your MOT at a dealer???
My 4 years / 4no service plan cost me £400 and I would never dream to take my car to the dealer for the MOT
Leaf service price is 159 for minor and 209 for the major, unless you're paying for a major service I don't think a MOT will cost £64.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,383 Posts
We all know Ford is more of a finance company. So they price their service cheap to get customers feeling they've had a good deal and more likely to come back to their brand and take out another PCP.

It'll be interesting to see how much Ford will charge for servicing their Mach-E. Being an ICE manufacturer, I think they'll only decrease servicing price slightly compared to other Mustang performance cars. Probably another reason they called their SUV a Mustang.

The other reason being no one will buy a £40k Ford medium SUV!

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why on earth do you want to have your MOT at a dealer???
Convenience, plus the Ford MOT was £30 (if taken with service - total £189). My local independent charge £30 for an MOT, so not much point in making a special trip for the MOT, on the Ford.

My 4 years / 4no service plan cost me £400 and I would never dream to take my car to the dealer for the MOT
Leaf service price is 159 for minor and 209 for the major, unless you're paying for a major service I don't think a MOT will cost £64.
Ford service was £159 plus £30 for the MOT. Total £189. Reasonable, I think.

Nissan dealer quoted me £169 for the service plus £54 for the MOT. Total £223.

Okay, I could save myself £24 by taking the car to the local garage for the MOT. They don't do collect/deliver, so the extra inconvenience to save £24 is just not worth it, for me.

However, that wasn't the point. The point was that the Nissan dealer service/MOT deal, for me, was dearer than the Ford deal. And, to repeat... I thought EVs were supposed to be cheaper to maintain than ICE cars?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've taken out a 3 year service plan on my MGZS EV for £387 inc a MOT when cars 3 years old. I got a service schedule off the dealer and as you say just a load of checks, also inc AA assist each year and free software upgredes
I'm picking up my new MGZS EV next week, and my dealer has just quoted me £763 for a 4 year service plan, including 2 MOTs. That looks very very expensive compared to your quote! Wouldn't you expect MG dealers to have fairly consistent prices?

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just checked the online booking for the dealer I'm using and the price for the service should be £159, not £169 (which they quoted on the phone). MOT and 1 year RAC membership is quoted as being £54.85. I'm guessing the extra £10 might be for the 'free' collection/delivery?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I just checked the online booking for the dealer I'm using and the price for the service should be £159, not £169 (which they quoted on the phone). MOT and 1 year RAC membership is quoted as being £54.85. I'm guessing the extra £10 might be for the 'free' collection/delivery?
£54 for MOT sounds average cost for it. some places you can get it cheaper but would you trust a dodgy garage that will charge £20 risking they claiming that you "need" a heap of works done with a failed MOT?
RAC cover is standard for all Nissan service, think that this would usually cost £140 a year so you're paying £19 for a service.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I remember when a Leaf service was £120 and I thought that was a rip off.

Considering there is so little that needs to be done I'd be tempted to use a cheaper 3rd party garage instead.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Years ago I used a Ford Main Dealer to service a none Ford car as the location worked for me and they were cheaper then the independents.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Nissan dealer service is an expensive car wash with break down cover thrown in, but I’m not crying about it.
They cleaned car inside and out, rapid charged it and filled the washer bottle etc.
It shouldn’t cost as much as it does but I’m with @ianatkin on this one. I’m more surprised Ford are willing to forgo an opportunity to boost their profits. I’m not remotely surprised Nissan are taking the opportunity to screw some extra ££ out of servicing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts