Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People are swamped with messages of range anxiety. For us, yesterday, the opposite was true. Yes, I have a car with long range, the kona but the same principle can be used by anyone.

It was my grandson's 4th birthday and since we're bubbled we were the only guests at his party. So a drive from Oxford to Loughborough and back in a day, over 200 miles. Starting with 100% SOC my wife drove up and we arrived with 57% left.

For the return journey, in the dark, heavy rain I opted for a longer route, A42, M42 & M40 because of ongoing roadworks around Coventry and Towcester which are a nightmare of bad signposting. But that's a different story.

The question was whether to stop, in the rain at a fast charger for say 10 mins or to try to get home without stopping, without risking turtle mode or worse in the cold, dark & wet. Of course a 10 min stop for a charge would always be more than 10 mins, possibly 20 at least even if I only wanted say 30 miles more range because of slowing down, walking round the car, paying etc etc.

Instead I decided to travel at 60mph to guarantee arrival with the same SOC as predicted by the GOM at the start. It predicted that we would arrive home with 25 miles of range spare, around 15% SOC. Simply setting the cruise control to 60 we had a lovely journey in the warmth, enjoying Christmas carols and, and this is the important bit, arriving home having travelled 102 miles in wintry weather as predicted by the kona reliably from beginning to end, about 10 or 15 mins later than if we had travelled at 70 mph.

Could we have made the same judgement calls with an ICE? I think not. So now, next morning the car is recharged to 80% for a cost of £2.77. Result.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
535 Posts
I think the “range anxiety” comes in on a longer journey where you have planned to stop for a ’refill’ and the charger or chargers are not working. You then go to plan B chargers and your anxiety level increases as you wonder if the same situation is going to apply. So on and so forth.

Hopefully, this will improve as more and more Rapid chargers are installed and/or upgraded.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Could we have made the same judgement calls with an ICE? I think not.
I don't understand this bit, with an ICE this wouldn't have been a concern at all.

I did a 220 mile drive a few weeks back in similar bad weather in an ICE and thinking could I do this in an EV?

In the ICE I started with a 3/4 full tank so easily got there and back without needing to think about fuel at all. In an EV the first half getting there would have been fine but I doubt I'd have got back without a top-up. There was a charge-point at the destination but it was already taken when I arrived and was still occupied when I was leaving, so a destination charge was unlikely. The route was along the motorway and checking Zap-map there's some services with Ecotricity chargers along the route, so likely I would have needed to try my luck with some of those (the comments on this forum about Ecotricity chargers don't inspire confidence though!) , so likely I'd have been able to do it but with an extra 20-30 minutes on the return leg for charging.

Where it would be a real issue is if the outgoing leg needs a charging stop, either because the destination is outside of range, or more likely because you need to arrive at the destination with enough charge to get you back onto the motorway network and to a convenient chargepoint on the return leg. If you're travelling in the morning to events, work meetings, that extra time in the outgoing journey is a pain.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Range Anxiety really shouldn't apply to a car like the Kona though.

Range Anxiety was a thing a few years ago when Leaf 24s had 80 mile (at best) range and there were only a few hundred rapid chargers across the entire country, many of which were unreliable (ecotricity) or not always available (nissan dealers).

We got our leaf at the end of 2017, so we didn't really have to deal with terrible charger availability, but long journeys were still a case of plan plan plan and plan some more. In fact, we did one journey that's a pretty good analogue to the one you describe... it was 23rd December 2018, windy, raining, winter and we drove from my mum's (rural gloucestershire, near tewkesbury) to exeter and back in one day - a round trip of 227 miles. I built a detailed charge plan with multiple "if this then this" options. Original plan was to stop at Gordano, Taunton Deane, Exeter services, also granny for an hour or two at the Lexus dealer (we were collecting our other car), then Taunton deane and gordano on return. Sedgemoor was out of action in both directions at that time.

What actually happened was that Gordano was fine, but strong headwinds and rain from there on meant we were not going to make Taunton deane so we stopped at bridgwater for a brief splash and dash to get us to taunton deane on plan.... Taunton deane was fine as was exeter services, and we got about 90 minutes of granny charger time at the Lexus dealer in exeter. The return journey the winds had died down a bit but were now behind us, and the weather was drier, meant I was able to make bridgwater from exeter, and from there we skipped gordano for michaelwood, as that was a quicker charge as we were closer to finish. So, 6 rapid charges and a granny charge.

The point being.... even with a thorough plan, there were anxieties on that trip but it executed just fine. In your kona.... drive there, drive back, no problem. The kona is your insurance against range anxiety, just as I have had none in our model 3 (where charging speed means that it's a case of cane it, charge it, cane it, get there quicker)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Driving an EV is a much more "active" process than driving an ICE range-wise. I used to make a 300 mile round trip in a day to visit my boy at Uni. Only had to refuel if I started with less than a tank and I knew exactly where the petrol stations were. If we'd had an EV then it would have been a much trickier proposition as I would have needed to charge on the way there and on the way back even starting from full in the winter.

Sure, driving sensibly to get home with charge to spare is a good thing but we're finding that in the winter we're acting quite cautiously regarding charge levels "just in case" the weather takes a turn for the worse. We live in an area where an inch of snow can bring the motorway we use to a halt with overnight stops for some and all the feeder roads blocked.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
“Forget range anxiety, buy a Tesla or an ICE” 😉

·
Banned
843 Posts
So Andy, you travelled back home at 60mph because you were anxious that you might not make it at 70mph?
I thought this how is it different from having1/4 tank left in a 500 mile range Honda Civic diesel. The Civic's fuel computer says you will just make it based on the 70 mph, so you drive home on cruise @ 60mph, and arrive home with 15 miles of range to empty left.

Range anxiety isn't range anxiety really, it's "Extra time to refuel anxiety". As he said, a 10 min rapid gives him no worries, now it there where 10 x the number of rapids on his journey routes, and even 2 mins on a rapid would give him the extra needed, the anxiety would shift to "cost to rapid charge amxiety". This is no different to people who forget to refuel coming home on a motorway, and suddenly realise will they have to stop and buy fuel at motorway services prices before getting 5 miles away form the MW exit junction and pay a reasonable price to fill up.

The range anxiety of old was actually about finding a rapid charger, and it being available and working, before your 100 miles or less of range ran out!!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
“Forget range anxiety, buy a Tesla or an ICE” 😉
Teslas' are no different.... you just get more time/range before you have to make the same charging decisions. If you are travelling off the main highways where there are no super chargers you will be in exactly the same predicament as non Tesla owners regarding the location, availability and functionality of chargers.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Who travels hundreds of miles off the motorways? Charger availability is significantly better with a Tesla, which removes range anxiety.

Reactions: Exlatccatsa

·
Registered
Zoe GT Line 2020
133 Posts
I have "driving at 60mph on a 70mph road and everything overtaking me" anxiety!

I've always tended to nudge speed limits, often (slightly) from the wrong side, and it will be incredibly difficult to change lifetime habits - hoping I don't have to!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Not in the ZE50.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
612 Posts
EV drivers do sometimes have a very odd view of the world!

In an ICE, you would have jumped in without even looking at the fuel gauge. You could have done 60, 70, 80 mph, as you wished. Maybe you'd make it home, maybe you'd need to stop. If you did need to stop, there would be dozens of suitable places to do it - all accepting contactless - and it would have taken 3 minutes

It does no good to pretend range and charging time isn't an issue. Sure, it's less of an issue than some people may think (until it is an issue, and then it really is), but I don't know why people must gloss over the considerable downsides of EV ownership.

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
We had range anxiety in our previous Ampera and Leaf30 for different reasons. The former because I hated the range extender kicking in and the latter because you couldn't rely on the GOM - a particular challenge travelling late at night, finding a road shut and being sent on a long diversion.

Over the last 40k miles in our Kona, I can think of two times when we had range anxiety and both times were because we had forgotten to plug in overnight. The GOM is so reliable and, unlike the Leaf, not over-impacted during the journey by temperature and speed.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
612 Posts
I'm in my mid-50's.
Bladder range anxiety replaced vehicle range anxiety a while back. 😏
This is exactly the sort of thing I mean! Bladder anxiety can be overcome in 30 seconds. OK, maybe 10 minutes at a push by the time you've walked to the building, queued for a coffee, and told the RAC man you don't need any breakdown cover.

Sure, I stop every 2-3 hours. But not for 45 minutes!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
This is exactly the sort of thing I mean! Bladder anxiety can be overcome in 30 seconds. OK, maybe 10 minutes at a push by the time you've walked to the building, queued for a coffee, and told the RAC man you don't need any breakdown cover.

Sure, I stop every 2-3 hours. But not for 45 minutes!
Yes, but you haven't seen the size of Wonko's prostate :censored:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts