Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

How long have you been watching Formula E?

• I hadn't heard about it until today!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Renewable Tech Enthusiast
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forum to chat about the 2018/19 Formula E Season 5!!
Race Calendar Available Here

"Welcome to the closest, most intense racing series on the planet. We bring unpredictable wheel-to-wheel combat to the city streets. We are The Fiercely Driven. We are Formula E. 13 races in 12 of the world's most progressive cities over 5 continents. We take wheel-to-wheel racing to the streets. That means tighter turns, close combat and plenty of unforgiving concrete. You're welcome. Formula E brings racing tech to the road. With 9 global car brands going head to head in season five, Formula E is more than just a racing series - it's a battle for the future. Our cars, powered by pure electricity, pave the way for the cars of tomorrow."

Curated by Tonik Energy - proud sponsors of Alexander Sims of Team BMW i Andretti Motorsport
Check out why we've partnered with Alexander here:

Tonik Energy x Alexander Sims

upload_2019-1-12_9-26-52.png

·
Registered
381 Posts
Really like this. The drivers all seem excited rather than precocious, the tracks are easily accessible for people to watch, and the cars sound like pod racers to me!

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really like this. The drivers all seem excited rather than precocious, the tracks are easily accessible for people to watch, and the cars sound like pod racers to me!
As a big Star Wars fan, couldn't agree more - they sound great!! This season's Formula E is such a step up from previous seasons - these Gen2 cars are ridiculously cool.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been watching since season 1 and it just keeps getting better, with a big jump up for Gen 2. Its a shame it's never really found a proper home on UK TV, though this years Youtube coverage is really good.
Yeah we agree. The YouTube coverage of the build up is great, but watching on iPlayer rather than a normal terrestrial TV channel was a tad frustrating. After these first two races I'd be totally shocked if it didn't get a proper slot on TV next season.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i've watched it a bit with the old cars, i wish they'd use proper racetracks though, the street circuits are just daft.

Oh and they even managed to ruin Monaco, by cutting out half the circuit!?
Hmmm, we’re really liking to street circuits - stunning settings, great for fans to get close to the racing, and it (in a good way) makes the races more scrappy with the right tracks / twists and turns. Downside is the tracks can be quite bumpy, and like today that doesn’t help with lock-ups, but makes it unpredictable at least!!

What makes you prefer stadium tracks?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Edge of the seat stuff! I need beer next time.
Some proper racing and loads of drama, what more can you ask for. Oh and attack mode is fantastic, though they could improve the onscreen graphics to show the current status of each car.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Hmmm, we’re really liking to street circuits - stunning settings, great for fans to get close to the racing, and it (in a good way) makes the races more scrappy with the right tracks / twists and turns. Downside is the tracks can be quite bumpy, and like today that doesn’t help with lock-ups, but makes it unpredictable at least!!

I dunno exactly. I follow F1, and watching a few F-E races it just felt like the tracks were too restrictive. Very little high speed cornering and all really tight stuff that you'd be as well doing in a taxicab. And the one proper F1 circuit on the calendar for some reason they've neutered and chopped half the track off and left the boring bits.

It seems to me the real issue is the cars are seriously limited on energy storage. They dont have enough power onboard to run the high speed stuff, and have attempted to hide that by running tight twisty street circuits instead. Its just the wrong image for a Formula car IMO.

Also, no proper slicks?

I could understand it if it was the Nissan LEAF Cup or whatever, but a Formula series should be better. Maybe they dont want an actual comparison against normal ICE powered series?

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dunno exactly. I follow F1, and watching a few F-E races it just felt like the tracks were too restrictive. Very little high speed cornering and all really tight stuff that you'd be as well doing in a taxicab. And the one proper F1 circuit on the calendar for some reason they've neutered and chopped half the track off and left the boring bits.

It seems to me the real issue is the cars are seriously limited on energy storage. They dont have enough power onboard to run the high speed stuff, and have attempted to hide that by running tight twisty street circuits instead. Its just the wrong image for a Formula car IMO.

Also, no proper slicks?

I could understand it if it was the Nissan LEAF Cup or whatever, but a Formula series should be better. Maybe they dont want an actual comparison against normal ICE powered series?
I guess I’ve got a pretty biased opinion being in to my renewable tech - the battery capacity challenge means that you’ve got the added dynamic of regeneration and managing your state of charge throughout the duration of the race, the science of which is interesting, but the principle of which I really love. By that I mean effectively getting the more out of your charge on the way around by being really strategic about when you coast / brake. The efficiency of it I find really cool.

With Attack Mode it’s sort of the same deal - as you can look at it as limiting full power model, but what it means is another dynamic of tactical “activation” and then choosing the opportune moment to use it.

Pros / cons definitely, but Formula E has lots going for it and it’s got my vote! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I think it's fascinating that all the ex-F1 drivers are currently mid-field at best!
Ok Wehrlein hasn't had much chance though he threw an impressive sulk walking into the pits.
Vandoorne didn't get much luck either with qualy cut out and taken out lap 1.
Massa ended up 18th.
The standard of drivers is superb.

More action in that race than most of last seasons F1 all put together :)

·
Registered
9,110 Posts

Once you line a route with 5 metre opaque fencing it ceases to be a street circuit and starts to resemble a maze for laboratory rats.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts