Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weve watched all the races so far and have tickets to the 1st London race.

What happened to Bird yesterday? I looked away and he’d smashed into a wall

·
Registered
438 Posts
Went off racing line and lost it on the marbles. Alex Sims pushes Vandorne onto the marbles and Vandorne crashed out as well. The Formula E cars are proving to be tricky beasts to master but congratulations to Mitch Evans on a fantastic win for Jag! De Costa on the move as well with a great 2nd and great to see Buemi back on the podium after quite a drought in the Nissan, now with only one motor rather than two that was outlawed!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Insane season finale coming up august 5th; 3 tracks, six races in 9 days at Berlin Templehof. It’s a festival of racing!

·
Striving for a greener planet
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD 19" FSD; Renault Zoe Q210 22kWh
391 Posts
So have been keeping a keen eye on Formula E all season. Some good stuff.

Watched the last 6 races. First couple were really exciting while the championship was still up for grabs. Lots of jostling for position and a nice internal rivalry in the DS Techeetah team. Then it all got a bit same-y.

Nothing happens really until last 2 laps. Attack Mode becomes predictable. They may lose a place or so taking it but then as they have more power the overtakes become quite predictable and feel underwhelming and very easy.
It also doesn't sit right with me that you can win a race one day and then be back of the grid the next, or be a nobody one race but be on pole for the next race.

Also 45 mins plus one lap feels too short.

I don't want to seem to knock it as when it's exciting it's great. It is a young sport so I'll give it some slack but next season it gets World Championship status which then puts it up there along side F1. I think it needs some time to sort out some kind of dominance structure within the teams, it's far too random right now.
They desperately need pit stops, this is coming in 2022. This will hopefully mean they'll ditch attack mode and will stop the easy predictable overtakes, and give everyone the same power throughout the race. They'll also have flash charging (800 kW apparently). If they can do all that and extend the races to maybe 1h 30 mins it'll lead to more exciting races.

I feel like I'm giving it a hard time as I really do enjoy it and it's exciting to see this new sport taking off. I just hoping the path to maturity is a bit quicker. Really looking forward to the next season that starts in January.

Oh and don't get me started on Fan Boost! I get it they want to increase engagement but racing shouldn't be a popularity contest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts