Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I have had my Megane aka the white shadow for over two weeks. The car is excellent, until know I downloaded 2 updates that fixed the occasional parking sensor blackout and something about the motor and charging on the 6 amp socket, I propose to have something and share when an update is available, also about the app I wish Renault implement controlling state of charge from the app, similar to Tesla.

· Registered
9 Posts
I am glad to hear there are regular updates. I had an Audi Q4 for a year and they fixed nothing then told some customers they will never get an update because of the hardware. Even though the MMI crashed and stopped the car from being moved. I think I made a good choice for a Megane.

· Registered
Renault Mégane E-Tech Evolution ER, Renault Zoe Q210 Intens
286 Posts
Not sure if I had the sensor update yet on mine, I've only seen it mentioned with higher spec models so far. Mine only has the assist package which has lane assist and parking sensors all around. @Kaloyan does your car have the additional parking assist and 360 view cameras?

I had the V01 engine update and it supposedly fixed charge estimate with 6A but i still think it overestimates 8A charging time (might need to double check as I rarely check the estimate anymore), at least initially, so in case anyone tries the supplied lead don't worry it isn't as bad as might seem initially in the app.

My calculations (based on SoC after charge) with granny lead show following charge rates for this car (230V):

8A = 2,6% per hour
6A = 2% per hour

so ~15% charging loss which I believe is normal due to conversions etc.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi there so, I just installed a charging station at home 7,2 kw, and carscanner shows that 6,2 are going into the battery I need to tweak, charging station configurations a bit, but around 10% losses. There is FOTA V2 for the engine fix some error message that I have never seen about the electric motor. mine is techno 360 package included only things missing from the top specs are seats and music rest is there, but I have my previous niro in top spec and used seats 20 times for 2 years, so for me additional 2 k not justified.

· Registered
286 Posts
Ok, yes 10% sounds about right for AC charging, I believe the granny lead has more loss in general from what I've read.

I think the sensor update might only apply to ones with 360 package, so if you have it that kind of verifies it.

Btw: here is the full contents of V01 update

Improved the management of the air conditioning compressor during fast charges.
  • Changes:
  • in regenerative braking for the freewheel level;
  • in the estimated recharging time on a 6 Amp domestic socket.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Everyone, so I've heard that Renault is planning 2 major updates one in March which should be done in the dealership and the other in June, first one is linked to 360 degrees camera improvement, for the second no idea. @4EV-ER can you share how the car is doing in winter did the radar get blocked by snow and stop working is it heated?

· Registered
286 Posts
No noticeable radar problems so far but I have turned lane assist and auto steer off because they won't work properly in snowy roads anyway. Haven't had huge problems with adaptive cruise so far, but don't know if the radar is heated or just shaped so (under the logo) that it doesn't get blocked very easily.

One thing I noticed earlier with water mist is that the car might slow down a little (or at least it feels like that) if there is heavy mist trail from the car you try to overtake. Also had now twice a brief ghost braking issue when going under a bridge, so something I will investigate further. All in all not too many problems though.

I did get a parking sensor error and service sign this morning when didn't clean them properly (the car was buried in snow). I suppose it will sort itself out when cleaned, I just turned the notification off.

Car warms up quickly so easy to clean the windows and so far no problems with icing of the boot open button (difficult to spot though) or door handles (they just popped through the ice so seems the advertised ice knocking function works).

· Registered
903 Posts
I am glad to hear there are regular updates. I had an Audi Q4 for a year and they fixed nothing then told some customers they will never get an update because of the hardware. Even though the MMI crashed and stopped the car from being moved. I think I made a good choice for a Megane.
So that's two of us moved from a Q4 to the Megane.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@4EV-ER Thank you once again very valuable information, I was a bit concerned about the winter, I noticed wheels spin in the rainy, somewhat sluggish weather, have you noticed something similar what drive mode do you use, I made steering medium and turning on sports engine comfort.

I'm wondering if those of you that swapped from Audi to Renault what was the reason, only software or something else?

· Registered
9 Posts
@4EV-ER Thank you once again very valuable information, I was a bit concerned about the winter, I noticed wheels spin in the rainy, somewhat sluggish weather, have you noticed something similar what drive mode do you use, I made steering medium and turning on sports engine comfort.

I'm wondering if those of you that swapped from Audi to Renault what was the reason, only software or something else?
The Audi Q4 MMI software crashed in the middle of the road and the car could not be put back into gear when it rebooted. It did eventually restart. Six months earlier I had the MMI crash once going down the motorway but it had no impact on driving that time. I sold it back to the dealer as we deemed it unsafe as a crash in the MMI should not impact driving of the vehicle. There was an 'ethernet' error recorded but that dissapeared by the time it got to the dealer. Add to that reports that early cars would never get software upgrades. Looking around the same MMI crashing occurs on other Audi vehicles and they have not fixed it for years.

· Registered
286 Posts
I have Evolution ER which has the 130HP engine with 60kW battery and doesn't have multi sense modes. Basically just Comfort and Eco and no steering sensitivity adjust. My experience from test driving the 220HP version (and some acceleration tests I've seen) is that Comfort and Eco perform similarly to 130HP version and Sport mode gives (much) more performance. Also pushing past kick down on pedal always gives full performance that the car can provide regardless of drive mode. So if you want to know how 130HP version feels like, don't push past kick down in comfort mode.

In slippery conditions off the line acceleration will bring wheel spin and FWD without LSD cannot do much so any AWD and RWD car will leave you eating dust (or snow) in winter.

This year there is need for proper winter tires as you can see from following picture (I use Nokia Hakkapeliitta 10):
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Snow

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm a big fan of Nokian myself, but unfortunately here in Bulgaria, this year is a small hell with finding winter tyres for the 21 inch wheels, I manage to secure Continental 850P. I agree if you are gentle on the throttle, car perform really nicelly much better them my previous Kia Niro, much less spin and almost no under-steering. Car is looking awesome I'm waiting for the snowfall here as well to send some picture of my white shadow :D. Have a great weekend everyone !

· Registered
286 Posts
Yeah I wasn't sure first if I would get the brand I wanted either as we had some supply issues as well. Still wouldn't go wrong with Continental either as it is the second best in winter tyres and have the nordic version in our other car. My car has 215/55R18 so actually wider than the summer Eco Continentals which are just 195. I think it actually looks slightly better with winter tyres because of this. :)

All in all seems the car handles great and is comfortable even when road conditions can get a bit rough this time of year. So far probably even one of the best FWD car I've driven, but has the same weaknesses as any FWD car, electric engine cannot overcome that. The one great thing about electric though is that even creeping at slow speeds you can keep momentum and have much less traction issues since you have steady torque and you don't risk loosing traction because of a gear change, you notice this especially going uphill where you need every bit of traction you can get in a FWD car.

· Registered
4,751 Posts
I have some tyres that size.
I'm thinking it might be worth fitting some 18" wheels for winter use.

Gaz

· Registered
4,751 Posts
Good shout. I used to have a spare set of alloys with winters fitted on my Alfa's. Can I justify doing this for winter. We had the RWD Audi throughout last year and didn't struggle once.
I'm just thinking about saving the condition of the alloys.
Quite an attractive wheel so using them on salty, mucky winter roads would be a shame.
The 215 tyres I have are practically new and cost a mint so giving them some use would be a better option than letting someone have them for buggerall
The TPMS sensors might put me off though.

No call from my dealer today so it looks like Renault and their 14th was more realistic than the 9th.

Gaz

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi guys, so have anyone received a new update for the infotainment system @4EV-ER ? Interestingly the other day I was able to check another Megane e, software and it was September 22 and mine is January also the car that I looked at had a couple of updates related to connectivity improvement, which for me does not show. So I phoned my Renault dealer and they've explained that updates are done per batch depending on the VIN which I found odd as the system and head units were the same for my car and the one I've checked Does anyone have more info?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts