Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I’m due to get my Hypervolt charger installed on Monday however in the mean time I’ve been using a screwfix granny cable. I’ve come out this evening to find the cable chewed by what I can presume is a fox.

Is it possible to replace the cable? The fox has only chewed the green bit of the cable. Sadly it has gone through the insulation and exposed the wire at one point.

What should I do with my Hypervolt charging cable? Can I wrap it in some sort of insulation?

Green Networking cables Electrical wiring Hose Garden hose

Plant Food Candy cane Orange Stick candy

Thank you
Thank you

·
Registered
MG5
450 Posts
Hi, it is difficult to see the bare wire. If it is just one showing and not likely to touch any other wires should be ok to use insulation tape on it. Is it likely to get wet?

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
The cable could be replaced, but would also need a new connector, as they are crimped on to the cable and can't easily be re-used. The cost of a new cable and connector is pretty much the same as the cost of a new portable charge point, unfortunately.

The cable isn't safe to repair with tape, as there's a fair chance that the insulation around internal conductors is damaged, so there's a risk that the cable could short out internally if just wrapped with tape and then flexed. It might be possible to cut the damaged section of cable out and joint it with adhesive lined heatshrink sleeving to make it weatherproof again, but unless you can do this yourself then it's probably doesn't make economic sense to try it.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD, Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav)
904 Posts
One partial solution is to buy an untethered charge point. Then the cable will only be connected when you are charging (or waiting to start an overnight charge). But then you have to get the cable out each time you want to charge.

However, the fox could still have a go during that period. Bit of a shock for it possibly! One option might be to sleeve (at least some of) the cable in flexible conduit: say, Tower Corrugated Conduit 20mm x 10m.

·
Registered
846 Posts
The best deterrent for foxes is to coat the cable with some strong stale urine. Some from a morning wee that’s been left in a plastic bottle for a few weeks would do the trick.

i appreciate this probably isn’t an especially palatable solution in a populated area 😁

·
Registered
663 Posts
The best deterrent for foxes is to coat the cable with some strong stale urine. Some from a morning wee that’s been left in a plastic bottle for a few weeks would do the trick.

i appreciate this probably isn’t an especially palatable solution in a populated area 😁
Not just foxes, I imagine the stench of stale urine would deter any potential cable thieves as well, double win. Not so great when you're coiling it up for storage, or transporting it around in the boot though. Might detract from the EV experience somewhat.

I wondered if you could get something like Bitrex or an animal equivalent, to deter them chewing it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for your replies. It looks like running some sort of conduit along the Hypervolt cable might work. I’ve asked Hypervolt what they recommend. I only bought the cable yesterday so I’m quite annoyed!
The fox was caught on my ring doorbell camera, I should send it an invoice…..

Any sort of spray deterrent (urine included!) would be washed off in the rain I fear!

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
One theory about animals chewing cables is that the cable manufacturers use a vegetable based lubricant in their extrusion machines, to enable the outer sheath to slide out of the extrusion nozzle. Not sure if there's any evidence to support that view, but it maybe worth wiping new cables down with something to clean any slight residue off. Any suitable degreaser would probably do the job, maybe even kitchen spray cleaning products.

Not sure why cats or foxes would be attracted to something like peanut oil (which I believe is one of the lubricants used) though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One theory about animals chewing cables is that the cable manufacturers use a vegetable based lubricant in their extrusion machines, to enable the outer sheath to slide out of the extrusion nozzle. Not sure if there's any evidence to support that view, but it maybe worth wiping new cables down with something to clean any slight residue off. Any suitable degreaser would probably do the job, maybe even kitchen spray cleaning products.

Not sure why cats or foxes would be attracted to something like peanut oil (which I believe is one of the lubricants used) though.
I think it seems to have chewed through where the sellotape was which held the cable coil together. I only bought it yesterday so the tape residue was still on there as it didn’t rain last night.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
I think it seems to have chewed through where the sellotape was which held the cable coil together. I only bought it yesterday so the tape residue was still on there as it didn’t rain last night.

Interesting, I wonder if the adhesive residue might be the "bait"? There is a distinctive smell to some types of clear tape, maybe that attracts foxes. I'm sure there's a PhD thesis in there somewhere . . .

·
Registered
1,822 Posts

BMW had/has a large recall campaign in the USA over wiring in their cars made from soybeans. Similar to PLA for any 3D printing hobbyists. Environmentally friendly but irresistible to rodents, causing thousands of dollars of damage to an average car if they got into a buried harness.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
776 Posts
BMW had/has a large recall campaign in the USA over wiring in their cars made from soybeans. Similar to PLA for any 3D printing hobbyists. Environmentally friendly but irresistible to rodents, causing thousands of dollars of damage to an average car if they got into a buried harness.
I've heard similar with the abs wiring to each wheel on some Nissan's, foxes and other animals chew straight through them

·
Registered
191 Posts
Slightly better than stale urine,we painted tabasco around a tree trunk to deter cats whilst birds were nesting.worked a treat.i wouldn't use peppermint oil as that literally stripped gloss paint off a windowsill, although it did stop the ants; Good luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts