Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Around 4 months ago, something chewed my tethered cable to the point of exposing the internal cabling.

At the time, I assumed rats, as the charging lead would always be in contact with the floor.

So, I got a replacement tethered cable, re-jigged it all, and now it's always off the floor, a good foot or so when charging and about 8 inches when in the holster

I thought that would be the end of it, but alas no

I woke up to this (excuse the focus)

So it's got to be something bigger than a rat, I'd guess a fox.

Other than "never charge your car overnight", has anyone got any ideas? Is armoured cable a thing? Does anyone have any tips on repelling foxes?

I might set up a spare raspberry pi as a motion sensitive camera to confirm, but I can't afford to keep replacing the cable every few months :( I think the cable is still usable for now, but I don't know how many more chewing's it can take!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
An extra high-level hook might help to keep lowest part of cable 4 or 5 feet above ground.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,963 Posts
You can get ultrasonic devices that are supposed to keep them away from your garden, but I don't know if they work.

I saw this in the USA that is to keep Marmots from attacking cars in the Sequoia National Park in California. I guess that wrapping the cable in ducting would act in the same way.

FWIW we have foxes pass through our property most nights and don't have this issue. Cats (which are related) on the other hand ....

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
off the floor, a good foot or so when charging and about 8 inches when in the holster
Adult rats are typically 9-12 inches long, so standing on their back legs could reach that.
But as dk6.. days above, it could be a cat. Or even a stray dog.

·
Registered
2017 Nissan Leaf Acenta 30kWh
21 Posts
Electrify it?

Wind a thin bare wire around the cable for the whole length. Connect it to a farm electric fence power supply. Gives a zap that's enough to discourage an animal without doing any harm.
Remember to only handle it via the plug! Or switch it off while you're handling it.

·
Registered
2017 Nissan Leaf Acenta 30kWh
21 Posts
You can actually get flexible armoured cable for stuff like robotics. But getting it in the correct configuration and terminating it to the plug would be a challenge. And they would still chew the outer insulation.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,963 Posts
Adult rats are typically 9-12 inches long, so standing on their back legs could reach that.
Also rats would have no problem running up the corner of the walls between your house and the garage if they wish, although they would have to have a reason which isn't obvious from the photo.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Apparently the reason rats and vermin like cables is because fish oil is used as lubricant to pull the wire through the outer plastic. So if there’s some left on the cable from the factory or during transit you might attract them. I guess the solution is to give it a good clean with isopropyl

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Spiral wrap or just pee on the cable 🤣

·
Registered
466 Posts
I don't like the sound of that. We have a lot of foxes round here they show up on my ring spotlight camera all the time.i just leave my cable on the floor....

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Just moved back to South London after 35 years exile in the East Midlands. Sitting in our kitchen this evening watching a mother fox and her four offspring gallivanting around our garden in broad daylight. During the rest of the day it's neighbourhood cats eyeing up the marauding green parakeets in the trees. It's certainly wilder here than up north!

I was talking to an electrician today about where to put our 32 amp commando socket and Ohme cable and this thread has provided a bit of extra food for thought!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've had a closer inspection... Whatever bit the cable had needle like teeth, and it hasn't been gnawed - it's definitely been chewed. There are opposing marks on the underside of the cable, which makes me think something got it fully in its mouth and has a good go at it.

I'm still inclined to think fox or maybe cat, but I'm leaning away from rats at this stage, simply from the size of the jaw required.

I do seem to see a fox say least once a month in these parts, wandering down the street like they own the place of an early evening.

For now I've shortened the lead even further so it never dips lower than the level of the Type 1 socket on the car, and is much higher off the ground when not plugged in.

I'm wondering if the sudden interest after these few months is because we have a faulty street light outside our house. While all the others turn off at 1am, ours stays on, lighting my driveway all through the night. Silver lining is that it will make using a camera easier I suppose. Will keep you all posted if there's any developments.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
If the cable is live I’m surprised you don’t wake up to a freshly cooked breakfast every morning.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
If it were me then I would just remove the cable, slide it inside a bit of 25mm galvanised plastic-coated Kopex and put it back. Kopex has a galvanised steel spiral internally to protect flexible cables in industrial environments and I'm sure it would make it resistant to damage like this. That damaged cable would still be OK inside a run of Kopex I'm sure, but I'd play safe and try to fit a Kopex gland at the charge point end (perhaps via a small Wiska box) so that the steel was earthed. Should make the cable pretty tough and able to resist animal attack OK, without reducing the flexibility too much.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts