Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on driving my eNiro through France and Spain from NW London next week to the Mar Menor region just south of Alicante.

I've done this journey many times before, but this is the first time during the pandemic, after Brexit, and in an EV.

There are huge number of things that can go wrong, hence the other half is flying! I really want to do the drive as its the main reason I bought this particular car. I guess there will be others on here doing similar journeys.

I will be packing Kiacharge, Plugsurfing and Newmotion RFID cards, but have had issues with the Repsol and Iberdrola apps. (Repsol's waylet needs a Spanish mobile to register, and Iberdrola won't let me register even though I am a customer of theirs for residential electricity!)

I think range wise I can do it using Ionitys all the way from Calais, but this is going to be expensive and I'd like to have some backups.

Therefore, if anyone has done this, do you have any tips? I'd particularly be keen to hear of other ways to use Iberdrola rather than the app (for example Kiacharge and Plugsurfing both seem to work with Ibil/Repsol).

Or maybe the wife is right and I'm mad?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,631 Posts
If you order the Electromaps RFID fob you can access a lot of the municipal rapid chargers for free in Spain. May not be enough time for that if course

However these can also be accessed by using various apps (such as EV Charge).

Does your car have 11 kW AC charging? If so making use of Tesla destination chargers along the route can be helpful.

I recommend doing a lot of planning as it will speed things up.

In the end, throwing money at the problem and using Ionity is probably your best bet. If you can then stay at hotels with destination charging that should help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you order the Electromaps RFID fob you can access a lot of the municipal rapid chargers for free in Spain. May not be enough time for that if course

However these can also be accessed by using various apps (such as EV Charge).

Does your car have 11 kW AC charging? If so making use of Tesla destination chargers along the route can be helpful.

I recommend doing a lot of planning as it will speed things up.

In the end, throwing money at the problem and using Ionity is probably your best bet. If you can then stay at hotels with destination charging that should help.
Thanks for your response. Yes I think it's too late for me to get the Electromaps fob, though I will see if I can get it delivered to my house in Spain to use whilst I'm there even if I can't use it on the way down (the scary bit!)

I think you're right about having to take the hit with Ionity, though I will try to use Izivia through France and Ibil/Repsol where I can. Really annoyed about not being able to use Iberdrola as they seem to be building out quickly, and the prices are great in comparison to Ionity.

I wasn't aware of EV charge app thanks for that - will set it up.

My car does have 11 kW AC, so I can use that as a backup if I really do get stuck. At 11 kW I think I can add about 50% in 3 hours if in trouble. The place I will overnight in France has a Tesla destination charger, and France in general seems to have a lot of 22kW AC all over the place, presumably because of the Zoe. Is this also the case in Spain?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,631 Posts
Is this also the case in Spain?
Yes, lots of municipal charging points that are 22 kw.

The drawback is you have to go into town, and you won’t always know if they are in use or not working. So can be a faff.

Looks like the Iberdrola app is terrible.

So go with Ionity and then try and stop near a destination charger for lunch.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
719 Posts
Looks like the Iberdrola app is terrible.
I've used it a couple of times to start a free charger at Ikea. No problems whatsoever. I hear of loads of problems with the EndesaX app, failing to communicate with the server and thus refusing to kick the charger's A into G. Fortunately, my phone's NFC can be used by the app as an RFID card so that is a work around.

FWIW, virtually all of the chargers that work with the Electromaps fob, will also work with the app so there's no real necessity to get the fob IMO.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,631 Posts
FWIW, virtually all of the chargers that work with the Electromaps fob, will also work with the app so there's no real necessity to get the fob IMO.
Sods law the OP will find the one that only works with a fob.

The rapid near us can only start a single charge with the app, yet a second charge can be started on the AC side with the fob.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've used it a couple of times to start a free charger at Ikea. No problems whatsoever. I hear of loads of problems with the EndesaX app, failing to communicate with the server and thus refusing to kick the charger's A into G. Fortunately, my phone's NFC can be used by the app as an RFID card so that is a work around.

I noticed that a comment on the Electromaps app suggests a user may have started an Iberdrola charger using the Electromaps app. Although the phone icon appears next to this charger (suggesting it can be started with the phone or fob), lower down it says Iberdrola app, so a little ambiguous.

Have you ever tried this?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just do it Bjorn style, camp overnight in the car and spend the cash saved on fast ionity charging.
At least it would be a little warmer than camping overnight somewhere inside the Arctic circle!

·
Registered
719 Posts
I noticed that a comment on the Electromaps app suggests a user may have started an Iberdrola charger using the Electromaps app. Although the phone icon appears next to this charger (suggesting it can be started with the phone or fob), lower down it says Iberdrola app, so a little ambiguous.

Have you ever tried this?
Haven't tried it but there is quite a number of chargers (not only Iberdrola I believe) that can be activated both through the network's own app / fob / card and the electromaps app / fob. In most cases you pay more using electromaps so make sure you check it out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haven't tried it but there is quite a number of chargers (not only Iberdrola I believe) that can be activated both through the network's own app / fob / card and the electromaps app / fob. In most cases you pay more using electromaps so make sure you check it out.
Electromaps is useful even without the charging. I've just been messaging the chap that made the comment (with assistance from Google Translate), and he's been great though couldn't confirm that Electromaps would work with that particular charger (it wouldn't even work with the Iberdrola app for him).

I've emailed Electromaps for confirmation, though been waiting for Iberdrola to get back for 2 days and Repsol for 2 weeks so let's see if they get back at all...

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,631 Posts
If you post the chargers you’re interested in, we might be able to give some tips.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll be coming down the AP7 at the border with France, and I will have charged leaving Perpignan. I figure I will need 1 stop south of Barcelona, and a final stop at Valencia that should get me to my destination.

So I'm thinking Reus/Tarragona, (I think I found a Repsol that supposedly works with Kiacharge and Plugsurfing RFID cards in Vila-seca) then somewhere outside Valencia

·
Registered
719 Posts
Can you activate the Juicepass app for the Endesa X network? In that case I would suggest to charge at Vilafranc del Penedés. There's also some chargers from Iberdrola there and I guess that app can also be activated from abroad.

These two networks will also have chargers in the area of Valencia so that should have you covered. There's also an Easycharger south west of Valencia (Torrent). It's a small network (though expanding at a steady pace with chargers at strategic locations), but by far the most reliable and the most sympathetic. Their app should also not give you any issue activating. As a bonus, it is one of the very few 100 kW chargers in Spain.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,631 Posts
The free charger at Peripignon petrol station (Rivesaltes) always worked for me.

From there, I agree that Vilafranca now offers lots of charging options. Many of them free.

Looks like there are a few options down the coast such as Amposta, which is free and I know the EVCharge app works fine.

General advise is stop and charge when you can, rather than when you have to.

·
Registered
364 Posts
You are a brave man. Are you driving completely on your own? If you are, that is hardcore.

I arrived in Spain last week, I'm in Moraira, we took the ferry from Plymouth to Santander and then drove down with an overnight stop in the middle.

I'm in Tesla and I'm having a hard time with the public charging network. Electromaps is useful but there's many fast chargers that I'd like to use that it doesn't cover.

Often the stated speed is incorrect. I went to a fast charger a few days ago that said it was 100kh with a CSS plug. When I charged the most that I got was 42kw. So they were actually 50kw chargers.

Often the public chargers are not in great places and none of them are under a cover like a lot of parking here. You'll be sat there in the baking hot sun while you charge.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I’m going to blow your mind when I tell you you can run your HVAC system whilst charging?
I know but the model 3 with its huge glass panoramic roof and large windscreen is like a greenhouse. The aircon only takes the edge off the heat here.

There are sunshades which clip in, I didn't think about that before I came. I've never felt too hot in the UK in the car.

The model 3 has a lot of annoying form over function parts.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts