Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just returned from the Frankfurt Motor Show. Attended on Friday and I was able to have a detailed look at the ID3, and sit inside it. As always there are some positives and negatives with any new car and the new ID3 is no exception. Firstly the negatives, which is the build quality. To be fair all the show cars were pre production but I was informed that they are likely to be fairly representative of what to expect. The interior is a slight step down from the Golf in the materials used, scratchy plastic used on top of the door cards, centre console cheap plastic, seats had thin fabric. With the bodywork the rear panel is shiny gloss black and all the show cars were showing signs of scratching. Anyway, just be aware that the car is being priced at a Golf level and there has to be some cost cutting to meet that price and in my view the interior quality is where they have made some tough decisions.

Now, let’s turn to the positives. And there are were many. Best colour for me was white. Various interior colour combinations with my favourite being the cream.The 20 inch wheel design looked superb, filled the arches and gave the car a very modern look. They had a white ID3 1st Edition Max car and it looked really eye catching. So, back to the interior. And despite my negatives about the cheap plastics the actual design of the dashboard is a definate success. The two screens were bright and sharp and the information displayed was really clear. There was one wow moment...the head up display. This is not your typical small HUD, instead you have an ultra large projection that was really impressive. If you decide to buy the car then make sure you tick that option. Where it was also impressive was with the sat nav overlay projection that showed a clear indication of where to turn by pulsing blue indicator icon lights right in front on the screen.One last thing to mention, there is an extensive options list. Let’s hope those lovely 20 inch wheels are not too expensive ( fat chance ! ).

Briefly sat in the Honda E, cheap build, nice in green,better dash than the ID3,but the range for me could to too short. The Mini E looked great but again for me the battery pack might be too small.

If VW can price this car to sell then I think they are onto a winner.

So for now my two choices for my next car is either the ID3 or Tesla M3........

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
A few other points to to mention. The rear tailgate is glass, very light to close. Plenty of room in the car. About as spacious as a Passat. Rear seating space excellent,we even had three adults sitting abreast with plenty of foot space and elbow room. Dashboard had a full length LED lighting strip that pulsed and lit up in response to voice commands,phone calls,charging status etc. All the lighting including interior lights were LED. The bike rack looked a neat design with a foldable hatch over the rear number plate. Let me know if need any more info about the car.

·
Registered
406 Posts
My two car choice was always between the Model 3 and the ID.3 Max.

Pity we will not be offered the ID.3 Max 1st Edition in the UK, so I will cancel my pre-booking at some point as I have no intention on getting one without the HUD and massaging seats (Max only).

I would actually prefer the hard plastic on the top of the door cards as the soft touch plastic dents and breaks down over time if you rest your elbow on it.
But would prefer soft touch plastic in the centre console where it is more comfortable on your knees.

It’s a pity there is no leather seats option, but the material they are using is inoffensive.

The 20” wheels also produced slightly from the tyres, so will age very quickly

I also liked the Polestar 2 on display, but prices start from €59,900 😢

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are right about the plastics. Sometimes harder plastics wear better than the more softer and denser materials used by some premium manufacturers. Sometimes cheaper is better !

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just returned from the Frankfurt Motor Show. Attended on Friday and I was able to have a detailed look at the ID3, and sit inside it. As always there are some positives and negatives with any new car and the new ID3 is no exception. Firstly the negatives, which is the build quality.
Can I just check one thing please - when you describe the build quality as a negative I assume you mean the quality of the materials as opposed to how well it's been screwed together? Did the interior feel robust if not always "premium"?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Can I just check one thing please - when you describe the build quality as a negative I assume you mean the quality of the materials as opposed to how well it's been screwed together? Did the interior feel robust if not always "premium"?
Ian it’s only the quality of some of the materials, the actual build quality was spot on.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The cars at the show were pre production. But the cars at the show were production ready and I was informed that they were reasonably representative. The build integrity was good, typical excellent German build. Tight panel gaps.

The interior plastics were definately of a lower quality than say a current Golf but that is to expected. Where there might be an issue, in the future, are all the areas where they have used glossy black plastic. If I could be super critical the seat materials felt a bit thin and cheapish.

The rear tailgate has glossy plastic that looks nice from a distance but when close up you could see all the marks. I suppose manufacturers use this type of plastic to give a glossy effect but over time they scratch and mark like hell....

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One other point to mention. I also had a quick look at the forthcoming Seat El- Born. Looked much more stylish than the VW ID3. Could sell very well if it proves to be cheaper to buy, a more stylish car for less money.....

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Given the amount of YouTube videos about the ID.3, it appears that it was swarmed over by all and sundry so I'm not surprised if the paint got scratched!

As to interior plastics, with two small children and the detritus they leave, it's probably for the best if the interior isn't too plush...

Interesting that the boot is glass.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
One other point to mention. I also had a quick look at the forthcoming Seat El- Born. Looked much more stylish than the VW ID3. Could sell very well if it proves to be cheaper to buy, a more stylish car for less money.....
Noticed the El Born also had no black shiny plastic on the outside. It seems much nicer to me. I think Seat could sell a lot even if priced the same as the ID.3.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I would take a SEAT over a VW if I had the choice, simply because I have owned two SEATs (saloon Toledo and a Leon) and have fond memories of both, even if the Toledo's clutch weighed 300 lbs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got to say I'm preferring the look of the Seat el born. I prefer the front, particularly the grille, there's no ugly bump at the top of the bonnet and the side detail looks better than a sticker. The centre console and armrest look better too. The only issue is, when can one be ordered and when is delivery likely. I need to be out of my GTE around June / July 2020. I'd need to see the UK configurator for the ID3 and get an idea of a monthly PCH figure before I cancel my preorder. Then of course there is Brexit and how that will affect price and the Govn't already talking about removing the EV grant, I can see that happening in 2021, if it's before that will be a blow.

·
Super Moderator
10,913 Posts
Interesting that the boot is glass.
There is so much about this car that is influenced by the quirky BMW EV. Even the name is similar.

Living with a glass boot lid is a bit of a horror. It looks great but is too fragile. Something that would only cause a minor dent in most cars is a £3000 repair in an i3.

I'm astounded VW brought that to the production cars.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The VW Up also has a glass tailgate. Never had a minutes trouble with it.
Parking sensors go a long way to stop hitting things with it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The rear tail lights remain mounted to the car when I lifted the hatch at the show. The tailgate was very light to open and a quick tap led me to believe the frame is possibly part plastic. The outer panel is all high gloss black plastic that will mark easily. An interesting point about mentioning the similarity to the BMW i3 is that exact thought was also going through my mind when looking at the ID3 for the first time. The drive mode control is much like the i3 and to some respects the shape and design of the ID3 dashboard does resemble some aspects of the i3 as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Simon,

Do you know whether the El Born is expected to do the same 3 battery sizes as the ID3?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi Simon,

Do you know whether the El Born is expected to do the same 3 battery sizes as the ID3?
It looks like the battery is the mid-range of the ID.3.

One of the points I don't like is the charging port is at the right-hand side at the front, and not at the rear.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts