Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Kona64
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ref the url below

The first phase, which is due to complete later this year, will see the installation of 50 fast charging points (22kW AC) in the Multi Storey car park and two ultra-rapid charging points (350 kW DC) /////
The fast chargers take 1-2 hours to fully charge a car battery,

Err if I turn up in anything other than a half-empty ZOE , I don't think the time maths work --- right ?
Even if you drink at 11kw, a 50kw battery like Corsa/e208 isn't going to go from say 30-100%soc in that time.
And that's ignoring any tapering down from 11 to 2 or so, during the 90-100% area.
Let alone iPace,eTrons,Kia-Konas , Teslas VWs with north of 60kW batteries.

Yes 50 spots is great news, and very handy locals doing a cinema-shop-meal very good and for a bottom of M1 leg break when coming south to the Smog - but I just challenge the maths statement.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
539 Posts
More than likely that the author meant that the "The fast rapid chargers take 1-2 hours to fully charge a car battery".

More a consequence of the inappropriately naming convention for charger/EVSE types. Whose idea was it to call them Fast or Rapid?

·
Registered
2020 Vauxhall Corsa-e Elite Nav 7kw
145 Posts
Feels to me like whoever wrote this just worked out how long it’d take to charge the average EV battery at 22kw and quoted 1-2 hours without even realising that beyond a Zoe, no car will take the full amount.

Does make me question why ChargePoint operators even bother installing 22kw units in places like this today.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Does make me question why ChargePoint operators even bother installing 22kw units in places like this today.
Probably easiest to make all the Type2 charge outlets 22kW rather than having a mix of 7kW and 22kW posts. I would imagine that they are not installing a 1.1MW supply (=50 x 22kW), but installing some load sharing should a lot of 22kW capable cars plug in at once (Zoe Owners club meet?)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts