Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After 12 months of owning a LEAF I finally had a dedicated 32A charge point installed yesterday, free of charge or 'upgrade' fees, completely funded by the OLEV grant and Rolec. The work was carried out by Andy from The Phoenix Works, and I can honestly say that having experienced many, many truly awful trades people all across the country, Andy was an example of professionalism. He arrived exactly on-time, cleaned-up, took away all the packaging, and even brought his own tea! He explained what was involved, discussed my requirements and cable routing to ensure that everything went well, and worked on through the rain all afternoon. I rarely recommend any service, but in answer to the many threads which pop-up about which charge point, which installer, etc... I can recommend The Phoenix Works happily. :)

Unlike British Gas, who may or may not arrive, and then may add on expenses which should be included, Chargemaster who point out only the wealthy buy EV's, or Pod Point who prefer to dress up in full body green tights, and run around London :eek: you know that your dealing with a family run business, and they surpassed my expectations.

From ordering to installation, the process was a breeze and they also arranged for the blue coloured Wallpod that I specified. The only delay was caused by my having to request permission from OLEV to have a CP installed for a car purchased prior to 1st July 2014, but that was resolved in a couple of emails and a phone call. Big thanks to Gillian for arranging the colour, Andy for the excellent installation and @Thomas_Newby and @Matthew Morgan who I understand formed The Phoenix Works.

I haven't taken a photo yet as it hasn't stopped raining, but here is the blue Wall Pod prior to installation.

image.jpg

And, the guts of the Rolec CP.

image.jpg

Edit to add picture of the finished install.
image.jpg

And finally a picture alongside the trusty 13A outdoor socket which served us well for the last 12 months!
image.jpg

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Great stuff! That sort of experience and recommendation here doesn't come lightly and is worth it's weight...

·
Registered
327 Posts
My experience with British Gas was that they arrived and finished early, which suited me, and fitted the 32A point exactly as I had hoped. I think it was fully funded by Renault and OLEV.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Phoenix were great; knowledgeable, enthusiastic and competent. I'll use them again to have my next charge point installed when I switch EV next year.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I wonder if that is a Mainpine control module in there under the Rolec label. It does look slightly different form factor to the one in our portables.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I wonder if that is a Mainpine control module in there under the Rolec label. It does look slightly different form factor to the one in our portables.
If it is the same internals as my Rolec installed by Phoenix Works a few months back then no; they no longer use the Mainpine EVSE.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts