Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this in my FB feed and for someone who hasn't claimed the OLEV grant, is happy with another smart meter and some T&Cs, it looks a good offer. Only 100 available.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,372 Posts
Is this going to be a trial on charging following the wholesale price?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Slightly tempted as I should hopefully be moving this year to a house with a drive, so finally can have home charging!

But the details are very vague. What charger and what's the tariff? I plan on getting a Anderson A2 with Octopus GO, so would want a charger that looks at least a bit nice and a decent tariff rate.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
But the details are very vague. What charger and what's the tariff?
Had a quick poke around on the site, I think they have become bed partners with Pod Point.
No idea on the tariff, I guess it would be their "Go Electric" tariff ?.

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't see them beating Octopus GO tariff
With people being charged £500 or more to install a charging point it should make a good saving overall for someone looking to get a charging point. You can also get credit towards the energy costs of up to £100 which probably makes up difference in cost to Octopus Go. The EDF electric car tariff isn't bad - a few people on here are on it.
At end of trial the "special" charging point is replaced with a PODPoint Solo, which I have. I am happy with mine, it is better looking than many and has decent cable management. Not an Anderson, but not a grand after grant either ;)

Reactions: Biffa

·
Registered
2011 Leaf with Muxsan 17.6kWh battery, curt tow hitch fitted for bikes or buzz rack P10
251 Posts
You can still get an ohme cable on octopus for 199£

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can still get an ohme cable on octopus for 199£
Yes, but you still have cost of installing it properly to 18th regulations. Personally I wouldn't want a commando socket and the OHME cable outside my house. Probably OK if installed inside a garage, which may be option for some. I may go that way for one of the two charging point when we move, we will certainly claim a grant on other one.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Yes, but you still have cost of installing it properly to 18th regulations. Personally I wouldn't want a commando socket and the OHME cable outside my house. Probably OK if installed inside a garage, which may be option for some. I may go that way for one of the two charging point when we move, we will certainly claim a grant on other one.
A 32A 'commando' socket isn't quite water resistant enough for exposed locations but it should be reasonably easy to protect it better. Inside a garage is ideal but for those who don't bother locking the car away overnight, having it just inside the garage door seems a good compromise.

Any electrician is allowed to fit such a socket; only those who have an extra qualification (at huge cost !) can fit something that will qualify for an OLEV grant and will charge a lot more for doing so (by an amazing coincidence that .usually wipes out any saving you were expecting ! :devilish: )

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any electrician is allowed to fit such a socket; only those who have an extra qualification (at huge cost !) can fit something that will qualify for an OLEV grant and will charge a lot more for doing so (by an amazing coincidence that .usually wipes out any saving you were expecting ! :devilish: )
The DNO need to be advised (via the relevant form) if you are installing a charging point and IMO the socket would still need a correctly protected and certified new circuit that complies with 18th Edition, such as earth rod if outside. The rules are for safety, not profit and while other people may be OK to bend rules, personally I wouldn't skimp of safety. Some of the risks are edge cases, but we have also seen an example of a bad electrical fire on here. If others are looking to go this route, attached are notes from OHME on installation.

Don't get me wrong, I think the grant scheme could be improved with charging points available to order online and a voucher scheme to encourage local electricians to tool/skill up to install. Remember the equipment to properly test a Type 2 plug/socket isn't cheap and is probably why many don't currently install. IMO an install shouldn't be "signed off" until tested at the Type 2 end.

Anyway, this thread is supposed to be about getting a FREE charging point from EDF. Who as suggested earlier, have bought Podpoint. Probably a good thing as gives access to deeper pockets and at least not an oil company :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
11 Posts
Filled in the form, will see what happen. Need a charger installed in the next 6 weeks.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Had a Pod Point charger fitted last week the electricians van was EDF he said they have bought into PP.
That's correct my Pod Point had to be re commissioned last month after my supply was unlooped. EDF van arrived and I thought this was related to my Smart Meter issues that are being replaced, but he was sorting out my Pod Point charger to allow it to supply full 7kWh output. He explained EDF have invested in Pod Point, subsequent conversations with my contact at GO Electric Team confirm I was their first commission since their Pod Point acquisition.

I'm quite happy with the current terms of my EDF Tariff and their Off Peak charges 9pm - 7pm Mon to Fri and All Weekend.

Time to look at the link.

·
Registered
85 Posts
That's correct my Pod Point had to be re commissioned last month after my supply was unlooped. EDF van arrived and I thought this was related to my Smart Meter issues that are being replaced, but he was sorting out my Pod Point charger to allow it to supply full 7kWh output. He explained EDF have invested in Pod Point, subsequent conversations with my contact at GO Electric Team confirm I was their first commission since their Pod Point acquisition.

I'm quite happy with the current terms of my EDF Tariff and their Off Peak charges 9pm - 7pm Mon to Fri and All Weekend.

Time to look at the link.
EDF tariff also works well for me as I (and more importantly the wife) want a large off-peak period as neither of us want the faff of setting appliances to start in the middle of the night.

As a fellow EDF customer, can you though tell me the weekday start time of the off-peak period?

I’ve read on EDF website that it is 9pm but is that only until the clocks go forward at which time it changes to 10pm?

Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts