Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Appologies for any ignorance here as I am very new to the whole EV thing.

But after lots of research I am just about to sign up to a 30kwf Nissan Leaf. However the dealer has taken off the 'free charge point home installation' option which is advertised on the Nissan web site. He says this is because he has put the deal together using a 'staff discount offer' to get me the best price.

I have heard somewhere that the charge point is another government incentive so my question is does it cost Nissan anything? The dealer has said I have to do it myself at a cost of about £400!

It has taken the shine off the deal to be honest?

Any advice?
Many thanks
Jason

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hi Jason
Purchased my Leaf with the family and friends discount in April and still had the free charger fitted (l paid £95 for the 32 amp upgrade) so l would question this as l am sure it's a Nissan incentive and not a dealer one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers guys, i will check out al those points. £200 is not as bad as £400 which was on top of £2000 deposit they wanted of me. I note from this forum there are dealers offering good deals on the Leaf. Can I put a thread out to see if a dealer can beat the offer, is that ok on this forum do you think?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers guys, i will check out al those points. £200 is not as bad as £400 which was on top of £2000 deposit they wanted of me. I note from this forum there are dealers offering good deals on the Leaf. Can I put a thread out to see if a dealer can beat the offer, is that ok on this forum do you think?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
The dealers are out to make money for themselves, the salespeople want to maximise their commission, all in all everyone is making their money from you. They’re not giving you discounts, money off, or benefits, they’re just giving you the price they wanted in the first place.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Pop it in the classified under wanted, describe the spec you would like and duration of deal mileage etc. generally see the dealers who post on here regularly replying with what appears to be competitive deals.

Good luck

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Look at a couple of the companies that sell charger points , the problem with the OLEV grant was/is that they require a charge point that is more than a simple charger. The need for an inbuilt phone, etc, puts up the cost. For home charging you do not need 'back office' capabilities .

·
Registered
17,690 Posts
Hi all

Appologies for any ignorance here as I am very new to the whole EV thing.

But after lots of research I am just about to sign up to a 30kwf Nissan Leaf. However the dealer has taken off the 'free charge point home installation' option which is advertised on the Nissan web site. He says this is because he has put the deal together using a 'staff discount offer' to get me the best price.

I have heard somewhere that the charge point is another government incentive so my question is does it cost Nissan anything? The dealer has said I have to do it myself at a cost of about £400!

It has taken the shine off the deal to be honest?

Any advice?
Many thanks
Jason
Put your enquiry on carwow.
They will work from your post code to give you the best deals in your area, and beyond.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If they're not putting the free charger into the deal, then I'd get them to advise on the grant paperwork and process for you to submit it yourself.

As I understand it, the government grant covers 75% of the charger and installation cost (up to £500 inc VAT) as long as it's sourced and installed by a registered/approved installer for an approved vehicle. Under the offer I guess Nissan were just paying the rest.

To be honest, it's that small an amount to them, I can't see why they'd take it out as it's just inconvenience for the buyer that they could just as easily adjust the figures to cover it even if it meant increasing the price to cover that 25%.

·
Registered
Vw ID.3 Life Pro
529 Posts
To be honest, you'd be best off checking with the charge point supplier rather than the Nissan dealer, they don't sound that helpful.

I had one installed by Podpoint when I purchased my used Leaf, and I can't remember them asking how the car was registered (I.e. Private, business or fleet)

I think once you have an order confirmed you can organise it all yourself direct with the charge point supplier, rather than waiting for the dealer to.

As I said, I went with Podpoint, but I think there was another one in the Nissan scheme, it might have been chargemaster.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've just ordered a second hand Leaf too, the dealer wasn't aware of any free charger options, but Pod Point will do you one for free if you go direct to their website. I've done this today, and it's going to be installed within 10 days. You have to fill in a government grant form, and provide a sales invoice for a Leaf (new or used) from a Nissan Dealer, and you can arrange it all on line. Link:

Nissan Leaf Free Home Charging Point | POD Point

They tried to upsell me to a 7kw charger for £95, which is a good deal, but I don't really need one so declined.

I have no connection with the company, just slightly annoyed the Nissan Dealer didn't point me their way.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
32,008 Posts
£200 for private installation, or £800 with a 75% 'grant' for olev funded installation.

... take .... your .... pick .....

Everyone else is on the 'take', after all!

Both the charge point grant and the EV grant have had their day. About time people started selling things at competitive prices.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts