Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are planning a drive down to Oxford on Friday - has anyone any experience of the Westgate Car Park?
I have been told that there are 50 free charging points for electric vehicles - has anyone used these?
If so would I need to book in advance or have membership of some organisation?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Used them many times! Just turn up, no booking or membership required. They are on the same level as when you enter, straight ahead. Park up (move cone if necessary), activate charger with a suitable RFID card, e.g. bank card, the light will change colour to blue. Plug your cable into the charger, then plug in to your car. Beep! Might be best if you first set the car charging to start immediately. If you do the plug/unplug thing, you might upset the charger, it might think you finished your session already.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Good point re setting immediate charge.

Last year I parked at Airparks (?) Luton while on hols. I paid a quid or two more so they'd charge the car while I was away. But I forgot to leave it on immediate so if they did it, it never happened!!

I am away at the moment and the car is back there again, booked in months ago with the addition of a charge. But they are currently doing contactless - park your own vehicle - and will not be charging it. I'm lucky I'm not dependent on it to get home I suppose!

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Used it a while back to fill my Ampera. No subscription needed, just wave any old bank card at it until one works! Not necessarily cheaper than P&R, but v convenient. Chargers are straight ahead when you drive in, expect a traffic cone guarding your space! Good loos at very top of Westgate centre, vertically above parking bays at highest point of bldg.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
As Andy says it's straight ahead when you go in: zone F has the chargers. There are mostly three spaces between the pillars and the chargers are on the pillars (sometimes round the back so out of sight) so don't use the middle one of three but otherwise there are loads of chargers to choose from and these days they are clearly marked.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent - we should now be able to visit Oxford and get home again without using the ICE . . .

·
Registered
2014 Chevy Volt
47 Posts
Good point re setting immediate charge.

Last year I parked at Airparks (?) Luton while on hols. I paid a quid or two more so they'd charge the car while I was away. But I forgot to leave it on immediate so if they did it, it never happened!!

I am away at the moment and the car is back there again, booked in months ago with the addition of a charge. But they are currently doing contactless - park your own vehicle - and will not be charging it. I'm lucky I'm not dependent on it to get home I suppose!
This happened to me when te car was last in Bellingers for the service.
Re Westgate,i've used the chargers a few times. you have to move a cone from the bay but I don't remember having to use a card to start the charge? Just plug in, double click the charge button on the fob to trigger an immediate charge and go, i think.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
This happened to me when te car was last in Bellingers for the service.
Re Westgate,i've used the chargers a few times. you have to move a cone from the bay but I don't remember having to use a card to start the charge? Just plug in, double click the charge button on the fob to trigger an immediate charge and go, i think.
Perhaps they've changed it. Originally the chargers were GeniePoint so you could use any card but if it was registered you got an email 'invoice' for £0. Then they stopped their relationship so you just used any card. They may have just turned off the need for a card entirely. For some reason i've not been in central Oxford since March so any info I have may be out of date.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50 GT Line 135 CCS
571 Posts
Does it still cost an arm and a leg to park there, despite the free charging?

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Does it still cost an arm and a leg to park there, despite the free charging?
The city council are upset because the Westgate is undercutting all of the council-owned car parks, so it's probably fair to say the Westgate will charge you an arm or a leg, council parking will take both.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
From memory I think it was about £10 for something like 8 hours, in that region anyway. And the P&R was nearer a fiver, ballpark figs as memory fading...

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
From memory I think it was about £10 for something like 8 hours, in that region anyway. And the P&R was nearer a fiver, ballpark figs as memory fading...
P&R is £2 to park plus £2.80 adult day return or £4.80 for a family of 2 adults and up to 3 children. You can also buy a combined ticket to park and ride for £6.80 if you can find the right machines. Westgate is £5 for 3 hours, £7 for 4 hours, £9 for 5 hours, £11 for 6 hours after which there's a big jump to £18 for 12 hours or £25 for 24 hours.

So a family trip into Oxford is cheaper in the centre up to 4 hours (3 hours for an individual) but P&R is better if you want to stay longer.

Or for the real cheapskate park at Redbridge for £2 and walk into the centre, it's only about a mile.

Reactions: HandyAndy

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Success! We managed to get a full charge while we shopped but the cost of parking was £7 . . .
For us it would have been cheaper to go to Oxford by train but only because I we have retired rail staff privilege passes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts