Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the dimensions of the free charging units? I would like to fit a unit in an 8" by 32" space. Otherwise I think I'll opt for an outdoor 3 pin socket.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Depends which supplier and unit they fit, do you which you are considering/opting for?

For example ours is a POD-Point tethered 7kwh charger, I can measure it later if the downpour outside stops long enough today!

Oh, and welcome to Speak EV. :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. I am not really bothered as long as it is smaller than 8" high. I want to fit it on the side of my steps on the white bit.

The house is a very old grade 2 listed terrace so otherwise I would have to install it on the front of the house which would look ugly and I might get in trouble from the council for putting it on a listed building! If I get away with the council it wouldn't matter as the wife would kill me anyway. lol

Sorry the picture is on its side.

Thanks for your help

20140225_080113 (Large).jpg

·
Registered
129 Posts
From the spec sheet for the Chargemaster / Polar unit.

Width 354mm
Height 204mm
Depth 120mm

If you place the connector back into its holder, it does protrude quite a way out thus increasing the depth. However you can just leave it wound around the charger body ad there is no real need to place it in the holder.

Geoff

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
AFAIK You will not be able to install a dedicated charging using that close to the ground according to the guy that installed ours. I don't know the regs myself but he said that it had to be a certain distance above the ground or he couldn't install.

As I say, I don't know the details but I would check it out with an electrician first before even installing a 13A that low down :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh well, anyone else confirm what Paul is saying? If it needs to be higher I'd go for a 3 pin. It will look a lot neater.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50 2020, Volkswagen ID.3
404 Posts
This is how low British Gas installed my Polar unit last year - the top of the wall the charger is fixed to is 28" (or 30" to the top of the cap stone)

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
There is a chance that my installer was just talking rubbish but he was quite certain because when he asked me where I wanted it he commented anywhere was fine on that wall as long as it was above xxxxx above the ground "because of the regulations"! I can't remember the xxxxx as I wanted it about chest high so it didn't really apply so I didn't take much notice.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The height limit has been decided for two reasons:

1. Accessibility for disabled.
2. To avoid damage by vehicles.

My understanding is that they are part of a code, i.e. not an enforceable regulation or law. simply ask the installer to cite the reference. This will give you ammunition to defend your decision e.g. putting a couple of protection posts in front to avoid damage or having the ability to put the plug holster higher (on one of the protection posts?) should higher accessibility be required in the future.

http://www.theiet.org/resources/standards/ev-charging-cop.cfm

·
Super Moderator
5,892 Posts
Is there any reason it can't be installed on a post in the boarder?

·
Registered
64 Posts
The IET Code of Practice for Electric Vehicle Charging Equipment Installation states that:

"The electric vehicle charging equipment shall be installed such that the main operating controls and any socket-outlets are between 0.75m and 1.2m above the ground. This is to ensure their accessibility by both able-bodied and disabled users, based on recommendations in the British Standard on the design of buildings, BS 8300:2009 + A1:2010."

Speaking as an installer, I have installed chargers in domestic properties which are outside of this remit, I always make people aware but sometimes it is impossible to install it at the required height. Unfortunately, none of the chargers i'm aware of would fit in the space indicated, sorry.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It would be possible but I don't think it will be the most aesthetically pleasing of things! I agree with AndyG, a timber post will probably be the best bet. We have used 100x100 gate posts to install chargers on before. They look nice and neat and are cheap. You'd just need to dig a hole first though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts