Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Yeah that sounds like a good option as the price goes up to 39p/kwh at the end of the month but has been 30p/kwh via the app for a while now

·
The best there is at what I do
10,675 Posts
Yeah that sounds like a good option as the price goes up to 39p/kwh at the end of the month but has been 30p/kwh via the app for a while now
Cant help thinking that 39p is to high, I'll definately seek out cheaper options after that comes in.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I agree, i think 30-35 is the real limit for anyone who cant charge over 100kw

Only time will tell those providers that drop out and it will be interesting to see in 3-4yrs time which networks and units are still reliable then.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
£50k or so for a rapid charger?

I'd be looking for at least £15k annual gross profit to justify plonking one down and to cover retail expenses/maintenance.

That's around £50/day (250kWh worth at 35p/unit or 7 hours of charging at ~35kW avg) to make each charger viable.

Of course garages can make as much from attracting people into their shopping area as they do from selling fuel - for EVs taking ~30mins to charge that's even more likely I guess.

(Fag packet figures of course but probably right sort of ballpark)

However..... most EVs charge either overnight or on ~7kW AC chargers as very few cars are used constantly.

Someone driving 12,000 miles per year at an average of 30mph = 400 hours of actual driving annually, and >8,000 hours where the car is parked up.

In over 4,000 miles in the past 3 months I have used 3 rapid chargers, and even those weren't a necessity just a splash'n'dash as they were convenient (and free).

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Yeah but we are at 5% sales, consider 55% off new cars are bought by people with drives, and 65% off people don't have a drive. We are no where near "refueling" penetration numbers.
We won't see t those people until sales reach 40% plus.

So even at 2x sales each year that's 2024.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The % of dwellings without offstreet parking is around 30%. Some of those cannot drive. Some cannot afford a car. Some choose not to have a car mostly in cities where there is no need for one.

I do not see a business model for en route EV charging. As the range gets more. What would happen to petrol stations if you could fill up at home for 1/2 the price. Then there will be at work charging offered as a tax free perk. Then there will be more free destination charging offered as a loss leader/incentive.. Say again no business model.for en route charging.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I do not see a business model for en route EV charging
I can just looking at the statistics. And many big companies can and are investing heavily. Motorway petrol is very expensive and anyone can fill up cheaply at a supermarket. So why are the motorway petrol stations always busy when I go there ? Quantity has a quality all of its own. Why have we so many Tesla superchargers when the cars have good range ? Some have 20 + stalls. Gridserve are building a hub with 24 high power chargers. Even at low penetration the investors are happy to part with their money - and good on them I say.

Fastned the story also has a lot of detailed information about their business model (and they make money).

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I always defended that there is an business opportunity.
Start installing rapid chargers in fuel stations forecourt, and offer free charging if costumers spend more than £15 in a meal. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts