Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im becoming obsessed with getting all my electric for free, is it just me being tight or is this normal behaviour, or is it I just need help

Please help with my addiction guys

Lol

·
Super Moderator
7,504 Posts
Haha it is tempting at first, the novelty soon wears off though, and you can't beat the convenience of charging at home :)

Reactions: Paul

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I must confess to also having the same affliction !
I believe there is no cure, the only thing we can do is manage the condition by keeping to small but regular charges ;)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I now have a fold up bike in boot leave car a mile from work and charge up all day if I want free chargemaster points

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Ha ha! Was looking at a folding scooter for the very same reason. Can't get another bike signed off by the purchasing department as we have 5 already....

·
Super Moderator
7,504 Posts
I now have a fold up bike in boot leave car a mile from work and charge up all day if I want free chargemaster points
I could understand this if you need the charge to get home, but not if it's just to avoid paying a few pence in electricity....!

·
Super Moderator
7,504 Posts
Haha well admitting a problem is always the first step! ;)

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Joking aside, I wouldn't do that. Once your car has charged you are charger blocking and no better than ICEing a charging space. Nothing more guaranteed to annoy other EVers...of which there are an increasing number of us. The situation IS going to get worse.

This is compounded if you have a PHEV/Rex and the BEV you have blocked gets stranded. Free is good....selfishness is not.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
For me, it's not worth the hassle. There are free slow chargers within a few miles of home but I've no need to hang around waiting in the town centre to get a worthwhile charge.

There's an Ecotricity rapid about 5 miles from home. If I call in to top up, the coffee I'd buy whilst I'm waiting for 20 minutes charging costs more than the electricity I'd get for 'free'. It's just easier and more convenient for me to plug in at home.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I always leave my number on my dash and will always move it, to date from 2012 im the only person that has used them, so norlt over used.
Staff are happy me leaving my car, also no they are shown to be used they are going to stay, the ciuncil only put them in because they have to be shown to be green.
I always ask never assume its ok to use / charge or park anywhere, but as I always leave my number on dash I can always move car.

Yes the bike was bought for this purpose, also as its a leaf I own im sure one day I will run out of power and I won't be stuck, do like cycling as well

·
Super Moderator
7,504 Posts
To be honest I've considered getting a fold up bike for the boot as well! I'm only jealous that I never went through with it :)
It can be handy, the GF has one and I've used it a couple of times (leaving the car at the garage etc), never used it for charging though!:D

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Joking aside, I wouldn't do that. Once your car has charged you are charger blocking and no better than ICEing a charging space. Nothing more guaranteed to annoy other EVers...of which there are an increasing number of us. The situation IS going to get worse.

This is compounded if you have a PHEV/Rex and the BEV you have blocked gets stranded. Free is good....selfishness is not.
Good point, but I suspect that as 'thoughtful' EV drivers, all the members on here wouldn't abandon a car for 18 hours on a charger. Unless its a Tesla on a 3.3kw charger :D
As public charging is my only option, I use one most days, but will always fetch it after 4 hours, unless I plug it in after 9pm, then I will leave it overnight and fetch it before 07:00.
At the minute I know the chargers I use are not used by many other people, as the folks on site always comment and ask questions of me. That will change I am sure, but for now, its working okay.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Guilty as charged M'lud! :(

At least I was but recently I am getting used to paying... at least the "idea" of paying because I don't actually need to charge away from home unless it is on the Electric Highway... which is free. But I do believe that we should pay and so I am now happy with the idea and wouldn't have a problem paying PROVIDING it is a reasonable price. What is "reasonable"? Well no more than I would pay for petrol for a similar range. That is my red line.

So, do I still drop in to charge because it is free? Not so much now and only if it is convenient.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Of course i dont say that you should all follow my example but feel free, only ever do what you are comfortable with, i'm sure before long we will all be paying for charging but until then long live the free charge.

I do like the HMRC but i feel that number 11 downing street gets far to much of my cash so free is good, hassle i dont see it because i dont do much anyway.

I do agree with not blocking the points but usually they are ice anyway but they know me and will always move the staff cars, its about how you ask and i never assume its ok i will always ask if its ok to use them.

The only thing that i wished was that every vehicle had a contact number on the dash this seems so simple to me, to be honest im not of high intelligence or very clever, so simple things please simple minds.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have no problem with the concept of paying for my charging, but as getting free top ups is quite convenient for me I intend to keep doing so as much as possible.

Roadside chargers in Bedford are free via Source East, even better, they allow me to park for free as well. Double bonus, but I never park for more than 90mins or so in the town centre. There is one roadside charger I would regularly inhabit for 4-5 hours if I needed a full charge, but only when I finished work at 2-3am. I would then walk or jog the 2.5km back to my workplace and hit the gym. Triple bonus. Now I rarely get finished before 6am, I've become a regular face at the local Nissan dealer, for a fast charge on the way home. And occasionally I take advantage of the free coffee on offer too.

Currently I'm averaging about 350miles between paid for (32a charger at home) top ups, and the more I can get the better.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts