Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought this probably merited its own thread because I think it’s potentially quite a big deal given the cost of charging at Ionity normally.

For those who don’t already know, Onto subscriptions currently include free charging on the BP Pulse network (formerly BP Chargemaster, formerly Polar, formerly probably a few other names!).

This was all well and good, but as we all know or probably can imagine, restricting yourself to a single network to get free charging can be difficult, especially as BP Pulse isn’t exactly the cream of the crop.

Well, it has just emerged that Onto are now providing subscribers with Shell Recharge cards which give free charging at a whole plethora of other networks, including Ionity, Osprey, Shell, Alfa Power and various others.

This is in addition to the existing free charging on BP Pulse.

If Onto continue growing as they have, and given the cost of ad hoc charging at Ionity, this could in itself give rise to quite an increase in custom at Ionity chargers across the UK.

It is still being confirmed, but it appears the free charging via Shell Recharge will also apply across Europe.

Some further details below:

·
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SUPERB to see! I'd like to see newer and cheaper models from them, otherwise I'll stick to Elmo and its key.
Yeah - I still might end up switching to another supplier in the new year if Onto don’t get new cars with ACC, but this certainly makes it a bit more attractive to stick with Onto - provided the subs don’t go up of course!

·
Registered
Ze50 GT Line Elmo Referral ISB2GG for mutual £50 off
369 Posts
Doesn’t seem to show Instavolt (which would have been an amazing deal), although it is still very good and much much better than just Bp pulse.

Well done Onto, looking forward to see how the competitors react.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
612 Posts
More detail now available via the link below:

on.to/shell
Looks like you'd be able to add it to the Shell app, so hopefully you'll be able to track SoC and charge history too.

I wonder if I could add it to the Fastned app as a payment method, and set it up for autocharge?

·
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Also confirmation that it includes charging in Europe.

I think I might start planning next summer’s FREE charging European road trip!

·
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just received an email too and Onto have confirmed that every subscriber has now been sent a card.

Including Ionity is huge given that the standard cost is so off-putting for many.

Hoping mine will arrive in today’s post!

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
612 Posts
Also confirmation that it includes charging in Europe.

I think I might start planning next summer’s FREE charging European road trip!
Fantastic. If we're ever allowed out of the country again, I shall be visiting Ionity all the way down through France (actually on the Autoroutes!), and 22kW AC in Chamonix. :)

·
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fantastic. If we're ever allowed out of the country again, I shall be visiting Ionity all the way down through France (actually on the Autoroutes!), and 22kW AC in Chamonix. :)
Yeah perhaps they were quite relaxed about offering free European charging right now what with Covid and also the possibility that no one will ever actually be able to make it anywhere near Folkestone/Dover for the forseeable, let alone onto European mainland!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Great news especially with Ionity. I used them almost exclusivly with a Maingau card at €0.39/kW at the beginning of the year. Now I think its €0.73/kW! 61p/kW with Shell Recharge card, and 58p/kW with a ChargePoint card.

I continue my search for cheaper Ionity prices as its a great network just far too expensive. Offers such as the Onto one are to be welcomed. I will only now Ionity as an emergency network until the prices drop to an acceptable level. Perhaps the GridServe 24p/kW in Braintree, Essex will force then to come more in line with other networks.

·
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great news especially with Ionity. I used them almost exclusivly with a Maingau card at €0.39/kW at the beginning of the year.
Very similar to me - used them quite a few times in the UK and also in Belgium and Germany, but not since, and would certainly be reluctant to pay the normal price unless it was just a short top up.

I was surprised that Ionity is included and that there’s no surcharge or anything - the potential value of this is quite high for some users.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
612 Posts
My impression (may be incorrect)) with Ionity is that their high price is to discourage walk-ups, and keep the network for their closed group of customers, which now includes me! So the effective price to most users is much lower.

I've only used them a couple of times. Once at Milton Keynes with Maingau, and once at Leeds on free vend, which was a bit of a disaster. Reading through some of the comments on Zap Map, they don't seem to have the reliability to justify the price.

·
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
they don't seem to have the reliability to justify the price.
Indeed - when I was using them via Maingau I was on their back quite a lot trying to get them to sort it out, but then when I stopped using them due to the cost I stopped caring, frankly.

Now I’ll be on their back again, if the reliability continues to be sub par still.

·
Registered
735 Posts
If only their app key worked, 4 months of never being sure I could access the car was enough for me. They even acknowledged it doesnt work very well when they delivered me a key lol

·
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah the app isn’t for everyone. Never once had a single problem with the app key myself, and quite like not having a key to remember / not lose.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
612 Posts
Just taken the card for a spin at an Osprey near me. Very nice. Added it to my account in the Shell app and set it as default. I started the charge with the card and, while it didn't show anything during the session, it shows in my history.

For those who haven't seen it, the card has the Onto logo on the back, and the reg number printed on the front.

Reactions: Bill N

·
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just taken the card for a spin at an Osprey near me. Very nice. Added it to my account in the Shell app and set it as default. I started the charge with the card and, while it didn't show anything during the session, it shows in my history.

For those who haven't seen it, the card has the Onto logo on the back, and the reg number printed on the front.
Thanks for the update - sounds great and I’m glad it works adding it to the app as that means there should be no problem activating any chargers that don’t have RFID readers.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts