Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you would like to check out AutoVolt magazine for FREE, you can do so using the following voucher code on Magzter's digital distribution network.

AutoVolt is an independently published UK magazine which launched on 4th July 2014, and is dedicated to electric and hybrid vehicles. Our second issue was released on 5th September as we follow a bi-monthly pattern. Each issue contains exclusive feature articles which are certain to be of interest to everyone interested in electric and hybrid vehicles.

We felt it would be a nice gesture to offer the magazine for free to an established EV community, just as Paul has made with this great forum.

The voucher offers a single issue for free, but please do subscribe if you enjoy it, as we're sure you will. Let me know what you think!

Instructions:
  1. Visit http://goo.gl/O7JCQJ
  2. Create a free account for yourself, if you do not already have one.
  3. In the coupon box, enter: AVFREEBIE
  4. You will now be offered either of our issues, July or September for free! You can read/view it on any computer with internet and a web browser, or on a tablet/mobile device using Magzter's app.
  5. Go to the "My Purchases" section to read your chosen single digital issue.
(Please note, the voucher expires on 30 September 2014).

AutoVolt September 2014 Front Cover.jpg

·
Registered
84 Posts
Humm, still doesn't for me. It says successful, but under my subscriptions is 'you don't have any'

ETA: has come through on my tablet, but not on subscriptions, but not to worry I can read it on the tab.

Thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, got it now.
Think hubby will be interested in the tech. side of Ev's etc.
I just look at the pics.:)
Sorry I am only just now replying. Glad you were able to get the magazine on your tablet. It is probably worth pointing out that Magzter distinguishes between subscriptions and single issues, which can make it slightly confusing at times to try and find where a magazine issue has been put as Magzter will simply say, "none" if you have looked in subscriptions. Hope you and your husband enjoy reading the magazine!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
It has worked for me - I've download a free sample issue. It looks pretty good so far, and nearly a hundred pages is very generous.

Jonathan - are there any plans for a paper version?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It has worked for me - I've download a free sample issue. It looks pretty good so far, and nearly a hundred pages is very generous.

Jonathan - are there any plans for a paper version?
Glad you're enjoying the magazine!

Short answer is, 'yes', AutoVolt is available in paper via print-on-demand which is the ideal solution in theory, but is sadly very expensive per print. I'm continuously looking at other options to reduce the price of paper issues but maintain the print quality provided by MagCloud. I would also recommend the digital version over paper if you own a tablet device too, as it increases the level of interactivity, such as being able to click on links.

Print-on-demand (MagCloud): http://goo.gl/n8nfjG

·
Registered
396 Posts
Sorry, didn't get very far with this. Managed to setup an account and use the coupon but when I try to read the magazine in Firefox there is a crash so I only see the front page and then a crash report. I also tried reading it in Chromium. It just says Loading Publication, but nothing happens.
Maybe it's not my sort of thing; I am not into performance cars or motor racing so I am probably not in the target audience.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
@Jonathan AV Mag can I suggest you run an article on battery degradation and the different manufacturers approach to this issue?

I'm not suggesting you cover my specific issue but rather how the issue is handled and communicated on today's production EV's.

It seems odd that the mainstream press are covering this issue but not the EV motoring journalists who should be best placed to provide realistic information for consumers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, didn't get very far with this. Managed to setup an account and use the coupon but when I try to read the magazine in Firefox there is a crash so I only see the front page and then a crash report. I also tried reading it in Chromium. It just says Loading Publication, but nothing happens.
Maybe it's not my sort of thing; I am not into performance cars or motor racing so I am probably not in the target audience.
John - Sorry to hear you're having problems reading the magazine. Without wanting to sound rude, what you're experiencing sounds more like an issue with your computer, than with the magazine. I'd be happy to help try and fix this if you PM me as it is likely Java causing the issue.

With regard to content, the magazine does not solely feature performance or racing cars, far from it. For example, in the current issue there is a feature about the new Metrocab hybrid taxi and in the forthcoming issue are articles about Harrod's 1901 Waverley electric and the electric Peel P50. Essentially there's something in each issue to cater for all levels of interest.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@Jonathan AV Mag can I suggest you run an article on battery degradation and the different manufacturers approach to this issue?

I'm not suggesting you cover my specific issue but rather how the issue is handled and communicated on today's production EV's.

It seems odd that the mainstream press are covering this issue but not the EV motoring journalists who should be best placed to provide realistic information for consumers.
Kevin, it is a topic I am looking into and agree it is something that is/will be of concern to many an EVer… send me an email and we can sort something out.

·
Registered
396 Posts
John - Sorry to hear you're having problems reading the magazine. Without wanting to sound rude, what you're experiencing sounds more like an issue with your computer, than with the magazine. I'd be happy to help try and fix this if you PM me as it is likely Java causing the issue.

With regard to content, the magazine does not solely feature performance or racing cars, far from it. For example, in the current issue there is a feature about the new Metrocab hybrid taxi and in the forthcoming issue are articles about Harrod's 1901 Waverley electric and the electric Peel P50. Essentially there's something in each issue to cater for all levels of interest.
I've tried it on another machine with the same results, though I did get it to load on my chromebook but it seems difficult to read as the interface seems clunky, for example you have to click to magnify the screen to a readable view but then the right/left arrow keys turn the pages instead of moving you around the page you want to read.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've tried it on another machine with the same results, though I did get it to load on my chromebook but it seems difficult to read as the interface seems clunky, for example you have to click to magnify the screen to a readable view but then the right/left arrow keys turn the pages instead of moving you around the page you want to read.
Sorry to hear that John, I do not know the answer why but yes, the Magzter interface could be improved! I would recommend their app on a tablet device, if you have one, as it is far simpler to operate than their website. For the record, every computer and device I have ever tried the magazine using Magzter's website has worked flawlessly - though as you point out, the zoom and pan tools could be better.

·
Registered
396 Posts

I would think that this might be put in the context of the battery management systems, and also compared against engine degradation in diesels and petrol engines. It could turn out to be a very complex issue so perhaps a series of articles on battery technology in theory and in practice might be interesting, with some well informed speculation about future improvements and the different approaches being taken as mentioned. Its not so long since a typical ICE would be wrecked by 80,000 miles, ready to be stripped down or replaced. However, from an EV drivers point of view it might be nice to know how much we should reasonably expect to get out of a well worked battery.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Kevin, it is a topic I am looking into and agree it is something that is/will be of concern to many an EVer… send me an email and we can sort something out.
I think it would be more useful if you left me out of this article and focused on the battery warranties offered by production EV's today. It would be very interesting to hear both the drivers and manufacturers points of view for the Ampera, i3, Leaf, Model S, Outlander, and ZOE :)

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Short answer is, 'yes', AutoVolt is available in paper via print-on-demand which is the ideal solution in theory, but is sadly very expensive per print. I'm continuously looking at other options to reduce the price of paper issues but maintain the print quality provided by MagCloud. I would also recommend the digital version over paper if you own a tablet device too, as it increases the level of interactivity, such as being able to click on links.

Print-on-demand (MagCloud): http://goo.gl/n8nfjG
Thanks for the link. That is rather pricey, but I guess that's the downside of a large colour issue - it's virtually a book in its own right.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts