Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that Ecotricity have now clarified the position regarding parking over the 2 hr free limit at motorway services.

They have now changed their web site to explicitly say that parking is free for an unlimited time at Welcome Break services... which presumably means that the 2hr free limit still applies to Moto, Roadchef and Extra services.

May start to matter if charging for over 2hrs... it could get quite expensive!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Wow, if I needed to charge to 1:30 there's no WAY I think I could afford to stop let someone "quickly charge" for even 20 minutes if it meant risking a fine!

Also awkward if you needed a long charge and a LEAF or something similar was there already charging for 30 mins, it'd take you over the 2 hours?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Has been for a number of years. Since people started meeting at them and leaving one of their cars there to long term park for free.

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,700 Posts
Only ever planning Rapid stops up to an hour, the pesky ANPR cameras are everywhere, don't ever go over 2hrs in car parks that are free for two hours such as the Range stores as you will get photo in the post and demand for £60!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let's hope that we don't have a long-range EV on the charger that we have to wait for because we could end up with an expensive parking bill as well as the long wait!

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Let's hope that we don't have a long-range EV on the charger that we have to wait for because we could end up with an expensive parking bill as well as the long wait!
Let's hope that we don't have a short-range EV blocking access to 'my' charger... I'm in a hurry and don't wan't to be delayed ;)

·
Registered
449 Posts
They have now changed their web site to explicitly say that parking is free for an unlimited time at Welcome Break services... which presumably means that the 2hr free limit still applies to Moto, Roadchef and Extra services.
I received a automatic ticket from Newport Pagnell services in October and won the appeal based on their signage around electric bays not stating any time limit or charge other than for non-charging.
Same could apply at the other services if signage is the same.
Also note with Asda you are able to go to customer information and have them record your registration if you need to stay longer for charging, same may work at Moto services

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let's hope that we don't have a short-range EV blocking access to 'my' charger... I'm in a hurry and don't wan't to be delayed ;)
Kevin, I think you are being hugely disingenuous to suggest that I am somehow considering that it is "my" charger. You know that I have no such attitude. This is a genuine issue for all EV drivers not just short-range. It equally applies to long-range cars that arrive at a rapid charger only needing a 30 min charge to get to their destination. They too will have to wait, potentially for hours.

I would appreciate it if you started to discuss this issue as if these chargers are a shared resource that we all have a responsibility for making work for all. No one, long or short range EV, has the right to hog the resource.

As to how that applies to this topic... if you have to wait more than two hours, including your charge time, at a Moto, Roadchef or Extra service area you had better pay for parking or you will get a heafty fine.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
As to how that applies to this topic... if you have to wait more than two hours, including your charge time, at a Moto, Roadchef or Extra service area you had better pay for parking or you will get a heafty fine.
Correct... but if I need two hours charging then that's what I'm going to try and obtain before moving on to the next charging location if I was unsuccessful. These are network limitations and something I will need to work around :(

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Interestingly I emailed them on 25th April and they got back to me this week. I'd asked that *exact* question which they clarified - so presumably updated the fAQ at the same time.

I'd got an ANPR ticket. Totally invalid as it happens since I was staying at travelodge on a moto site (washington, for nissan visit). Not charging overnight, just for 30 mins etc in the morning. The charge was dropped on receipt of my travelodge invoice, but it made me ask the question anyway...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts