Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite Nav 70 reg
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are picking up our new Corsa-e in a few days and were looking forward to getting a new Pod Point charger to replace our 7 year old Chargemaster. A lot has changed in 7 years. The price of the charger is included in the car price.

I contacted Pod Point after their online form insisted on charging £350 for installation as we had already had a government grant for the original charger. As there would be so little installation required, it would just be replacing the existing charger, I thought there would be little or no charge. I filled in another online form and supplied photos of the existing installation.

Several days passed then I got a phone call from Pod Point. I explained our situation, but the outcome was that they would not waive or even reduce the installation fee. I mentioned that in that case they would be losing a substantial payment from Vauxhall, but he would not budge.

I'm now trying to negotiate a discount on the car, as Vauxhall will be saving some money.

There are going to be a lot of people in the same boat as they move to their second or subsequent EV. Perhaps a 2 tier installation fee might be the answer, depending on whether it's a new installation or just a replacement?

·
Registered
968 Posts
I can just hear the electrician when he comes to install a replacement charger: 'You've had the cowboys in here... This wiring & consumer unit will all need replacing, so I'm afraid it will cost the same as if we'd done it from scratch.'

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
We are picking up our new Corsa-e in a few days and were looking forward to getting a new Pod Point charger to replace our 7 year old Chargemaster. A lot has changed in 7 years. The price of the charger is included in the car price.

I contacted Pod Point after their online form insisted on charging £350 for installation as we had already had a government grant for the original charger. As there would be so little installation required, it would just be replacing the existing charger, I thought there would be little or no charge. I filled in another online form and supplied photos of the existing installation.

Several days passed then I got a phone call from Pod Point. I explained our situation, but the outcome was that they would not waive or even reduce the installation fee. I mentioned that in that case they would be losing a substantial payment from Vauxhall, but he would not budge.

I'm now trying to negotiate a discount on the car, as Vauxhall will be saving some money.

There are going to be a lot of people in the same boat as they move to their second or subsequent EV. Perhaps a 2 tier installation fee might be the answer, depending on whether it's a new installation or just a replacement?
Yes but. Does the installation comply with current "wiring regs"...?

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite Nav 70 reg
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I suppose that you're both right; the 2 tier pricing idea is a non-starter for the reasons you've mentioned. :(

·
The best there is at what I do
10,684 Posts
Get them to install a 32A commando then you can use it as a portable appliance :) Steel hat on!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would pay the 350 tbh, thats not a bad price to get a new unit installed. Its cost me around that by doing the work myself and using a used Podpoint unit, An electrian will charge £120-150 just for certifying an installation you have done yourself.

Whats wrong with your chargemaster, if its a 7kw unit, i'd stick with that.

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite Nav 70 reg
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Whats wrong with your chargemaster, if its a 7kw unit, i'd stick with that.
It's 7 years old; modern chargers have better safety features and connectivity, including charging options, e.g. from an app. But the Chargemaster will do for the time being. If I manage to get some compensation from Vauxhall, that will be a bonus, I'll then consider what to do in the future.

TBH I hadn't considered changing the charger, but when offered a 'free' charger as part of the deal with the new car, it seemed a good idea.

·
Registered
630 Posts
You cant use the grant to replace an old charger, you could however get another one put in, madness I know but it is what it is. £350 sounds cheap, I’d go for that!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Can you get Vauxhall/Pod Point to just give you the charger? Get a local electrician to fit it, they won't rip you off like the OLEV approved ones.

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite Nav 70 reg
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I asked if they could just supply the charger, but they wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If at same address, You can only get the Second grant if you can prove owning both cars concurrently , and that your system is capable of using both.

Guess a little know fact but when you sell a car used for A grant you need to let OLEV know.

just paid £350 for my free Audi Pod-Point... he didn’t reuse any of the old wiring ,( I had removed the unit myself) rather added a new CU from the tails

Reactions: andyfras

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,916 Posts
Guess a little know fact but when you sell a car used for A grant you need to let OLEV know.
Where's that mentioned? All I can see is a 6 months min requirement.

"If the customer’s circumstances change or they no longer have use of their electric vehicle before the minimum 6-month keepership period, the customer must inform OLEV via [email protected]."

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks, either I read it wrong or was basing it on a previous version.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Isn't the chargemaster ran from your consumer unit with a earth rod?

Pod point can't run from there unless
they put in a adjacent CU.

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite Nav 70 reg
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a separate 'garage unit' with a 40A RCB and 40A breaker which was installed with the Chargemaster.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yep they can run from that if it's tested, only take a min to test it, they'd probably want to run a cable for fuse saver.

But there never gonna budge mate

1 - 17 of 17 Posts