Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Electric Nation is seeking to recruit 500-700 people buying or leasing new electric vehicles (including pure electric and plug-in hybrids) to take part in a trial to ensure the UK can charge electric vehicles at peak times as the numbers of EVs rise.

The trial will only take place in certain geographical locations: the WPD network areas in the South West, South Wales, West & East Midlands

The free smart charger is only available to people who have not previously taken advantage of the OLEV home charger grant.

Please visit the website to check your postcode and to potentially be part of the biggest project and trial of its kind in the WORLD

www.electricnation.org.uk

( Please find attached the customer information brochure )

or contact Drive-Electric.co.uk to learn more.​

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Electric Nation is seeking to recruit 500-700 people buying or leasing new electric vehicles (including pure electric and plug-in hybrids) to take part in a trial to ensure the UK can charge electric vehicles at peak times as the numbers of EVs rise.

The trial will only take place in certain geographical locations: the WPD network areas in the South West, South Wales, West & East Midlands

The free smart charger is only available to people who have not previously taken advantage of the OLEV home charger grant.

Please visit the website to check your postcode and to potentially be part of the biggest project and trial of its kind in the WORLD

www.electricnation.org.uk

( Please find attached the customer information brochure )

or contact Drive-Electric.co.uk to learn more.​

So does this mean I'd get a faster charger at home if i applied & were successfully included in the trial ? I.e. While I understand the purpose of the charger being 'smart' to aid when recharging occurs, does it also allow for more rapid charging to ensure a full charge when it's usually required?

·
Registered
891 Posts
I couldn't find any information about whether it's a 16 or 32 amp charger. But perhaps being "smart" it can be anything in between ;)

However, I'm not in the catchment area nor have off-street parking anyway :(
Signed up anyway in case it widens :confused:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Charpoint is a 7KW 32amp charger. Some charge points that are available on the market are 7kw however the majority are just 3KW. Some manufactures are now offering free chargers with vehicles however these are all 3kw. The 'Smart' means that it has wireless technology built into it. With the project you will be provided with an app.

Ian

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
You need to get a selection of dealerships on board with this project, at the moment most people will be offered a free or "recommended" brand of home charger while they are buying the car and that's their OLEV grant used up.

·
Registered
952 Posts
^ this...

Interesting project and good to see DNOs investigating how to manage demand for least cost network upgrade (or at least consumer reaction / interaction to their charging controlled by the utility company). The electric nation monicker is a bit misleading given WPD don't have a national remit beyond their boundary o_O

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You need to get a selection of dealerships on board with this project, at the moment most people will be offered a free or "recommended" brand of home charger while they are buying the car and that's their OLEV grant used up.
Hi Matt, Absolutely. We have established contact with over 90 dealers in the Network area and often in communication. The majority of them have embraced the project and yes like you have said some do offer a free charger, but they are a 3KW only.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts