Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Ampera, as my Co. car
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little something I helped develop in a previous life for a specific client...
alas, the project was axed at the last minute when the bean-counters got involved and wanted a 3year 'payback'..

Although was meant as a CSR statement outside the HQ of a well known Building Society....for their visitors car park!

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Surely if all the car parks installed solar canopies then economies of scale comes in to play?

Also, they could pay for their own charging points, which they could charge to use, to make profit while at the same time generating more than the energy needs of their own parking lots?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Surely if all the car parks installed solar canopies then economies of scale comes in to play?

Also, they could pay for their own charging points, which they could charge to use, to make profit while at the same time generating more than the energy needs of their own parking lots?
Also, you would nicely keep all the cars sheltered from the elements:- rain, sun and snow... should probably include heating elements to melt snow so the sun can still be captured (Idea care of solar roadways)

We're looking into these at work (and I wouldn't mind one at home!) Do you have supply contacts?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
There is plenty of capital available... But the expectant returns hamstring innovative solutions.... Whilst cost of panels are dropping the frames would be bespoke per site.
Do they have to be bespoke? car bays are of a pretty similar size from car park to car park. OK, there is some variation and that would need to be allowed for in the design. But surely a "standard" port of 2,3,4,6,10 bays and designed to be modular?

I am not engineer but it seems pretty straight forward to me.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
A little something I helped develop in a previous life for a specific client...
alas, the project was axed at the last minute when the bean-counters got involved and wanted a 3year 'payback'..

Although was meant as a CSR statement outside the HQ of a well known Building Society....for their visitors car park!
Pity. I'm at that well known building society on a consultancy engagement starting back end of this week.

Do you know if they have EV charging?

·
Ampera, as my Co. car
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do they have to be bespoke? car bays are of a pretty similar size from car park to car park. OK, there is some variation and that would need to be allowed for in the design. But surely a "standard" port of 2,3,4,6,10 bays and designed to be modular?

I am not engineer but it seems pretty straight forward to me.
Yes of course. just this happened to be designed for a specific / existing visitors bay...
Will always come back to 'perceived' payback. We need more fines for the heaviest polluting companies (CRC and the like) to bring money to the table for 'offsetting' projects that such technologies would bring.....

·
Ampera, as my Co. car
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pity. I'm at that well known building society on a consultancy engagement starting back end of this week.

Do you know if they have EV charging?
no idea sorry.
this was looked at quite a few years ago now....

·
Ampera, as my Co. car
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, you would nicely keep all the cars sheltered from the elements:- rain, sun and snow... should probably include heating elements to melt snow so the sun can still be captured (Idea care of solar roadways)

We're looking into these at work (and I wouldn't mind one at home!) Do you have supply contacts?
At the time was designed in partnership with an Architects practice / structural engineer. If its for a work install of multiple bays I am sure they would be interested (as they can pull and stretch the existing design to suit the site...
But I doubt they'd be interested in a single bay?

·
Ampera, as my Co. car
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This may be of interest.
http://www.infiniteenergy.co.uk/carport-solar-canopy.asp

You will most likely require planning as this would be a permanent structure; we were trying to avoid said issue with the free standing option!
This have changed now this year with regards to planning for commercial solar - so may be worth me revisiting the design / costs.....??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts