Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been doing some nosing around ID.3 related pages in anticipation of my (hopeful!) purchase of one, and noticed the bit I circled in red in the attached screenshot from this page -

What does this mean? Do I get free We Charge Go for the first year? If so, that’s nice! There are some Ionity locations in fairly convenient places for me. Hopefully it’s easy enough to claim my discount when I sign up? Also, hopefully the fact that my car will be a pre-reg so I won’t technically be the first owner won’t mean I’m not eligible for it!

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,339 Posts
I was a We Charge Go customer with the e-Golf, I just signed up for the RFID card via the We Connect ID App, but it’s the same price as pay as everybody else who uses Ionity.

The ID.3 1st Edition came with a free 12 month We Charge Plus membership, and a 2000 kWh charging credit valid for 12 months, and Ionity at €0.25 per kWh for use over and above that.

I’m not sure what the regular ID.3s come with, but when you register it in the We Connect ID App, you’ll see what options you’ve got in the We Charge section of the App. I couldn’t have anything but the basic free £0.69 per kWh option with the e-Golf, but I expect you’ll be able to choose any of the options with the ID.3, just not necessarily for free.

Edit: @Jon Chalk has answered the last question I think!

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
283 Posts
The monthly subscriptions are free (instead of 5.99 & 12.99? - can't remember, but think this one gets reduced rather than free) - the rates stay the same (45p/kWh & 25p/kWh? - not sure on the last one). The PAYG stays at 69p/kWh.

I've signed up (for the one that was 5.99) purely for emergencies, as it's free - as soon as they start charging, I'll cancel.

My car was a pre-reg & worked just fine.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
283 Posts
...I can't check the options in the app - now I've signed up for one, it only shows details for the one on my account.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
65 Posts
Am I right in thinking that this only gives a discount at ionity chargers, of which there seem to be less than 20 sites in the UK?

·
Premium Member
7,339 Posts
Am I right in thinking that this only gives a discount at ionity chargers, of which there seem to be less than 20 sites in the UK?
It gets you a rate less than the standard Ionity rate, assuming you’re subscribed to one of the levels above basic, but you can use it at a number of other chargers including Osprey, although there’s no discount.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cracking! Thanks guys, exactly what I needed to know!

Nice little bonus this. Not sure it’s something I’ll pay for outside of the free period, but you never know. What I like about Ionity is that, although there aren’t that many yet, they always have multiple chargers at each location and they seem to be in locations convenient for motorway trips. But on the other hand, I hear they’re not that reliable and people don’t get the advertised speeds from them, so I guess I’ll try then during the free period and see.

·
Premium Member
7,339 Posts
Cracking! Thanks guys, exactly what I needed to know!

Nice little bonus this. Not sure it’s something I’ll pay for outside of the free period, but you never know. What I like about Ionity is that, although there aren’t that many yet, they always have multiple chargers at each location and they seem to be in locations convenient for motorway trips. But on the other hand, I hear they’re not that reliable and people don’t get the advertised speeds from them, so I guess I’ll try then during the free period and see.
5 out of the 6 times I’ve used them I’ve hit the max 100kW charge rate, the other time I only got a peak of 66kW. There were two Taycans plugged in as well, probably hogging all the power! 😂

I think they’re getting better, they seem to take a long time to commission them all reliably.

When I used them the once in the e-Golf (for convenience sake really) I couldn’t get the charge started using the App or my debit card, but the We Charge RFID card worked first time. I was a bit sorry to see the bill a couple of weeks later, but I got the max 39kW from the charger at least! 😂

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
65 Posts
It gets you a rate less than the standard Ionity rate, assuming you’re subscribed to one of the levels above basic, but you can use it at a number of other chargers including Osprey, although there’s no discount.
So what would be the advantage using it at say Osprey? Is it because you just have one RFID for this?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
5 out of the 6 times I’ve used them I’ve hit the max 100kW charge rate, the other time I only got a peak of 66kW. There were two Taycans plugged in as well, probably hogging all the power! 😂

I think they’re getting better, they seem to take a long time to commission them all reliably.

When I used them the once in the e-Golf (for convenience sake really) I couldn’t get the charge started using the App or my debit card, but the We Charge RFID card worked first time. I was a bit sorry to see the bill a couple of weeks later, but I got the max 39kW from the charger at least! 😂
Haha... ah, e-Golf charging rates... soon to be a thing of the past for me! :LOL: Yeah, I used an Ionity up in Gretna in my e-Golf on a long trip. Obviously were a fair few charging stops heading up to Scotland from Gloucester in an e-Golf, so by the time I got there I thought to hell with the cost, at least it’s working. My eyes similarly watered a bit when I got the bill!!

Good to hear those charge speeds are really available... this may become my network of choice for motorway trips then (at least, while it’s still discounted for me!)

·
Premium Member
7,339 Posts
So what would be the advantage using it at say Osprey? Is it because you just have one RFID for this?
I think that would be the only benefit, other than if you’ve got a 1st then the free charging allowance can be used on other networks as well.

I seem to remember there might be an admin charge for other networks, so not any cheaper at all, but again it might be worth it to you if you like all your charging bills in one place.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
65 Posts
I think that would be the only benefit, other than if you’ve got a 1st then the free charging allowance can be used on other networks as well.

I seem to remember there might be an admin charge for other networks, so not any cheaper at all, but again it might be worth it to you if you like all your charging bills in one place.
Great, thanks for the explanation, makes sense. Don't suppose there's a list somewhere that shows which networks you can use with it?

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
469 Posts
Great, thanks for the explanation, makes sense. Don't suppose there's a list somewhere that shows which networks you can use with it?
These are the We Charge partners that Elli sent to me at the start of December:

IONITY: (https://ionity.eu/en/where-and-how.html)
Engie (was Chargepoint): (https://ev.engie.co.uk/map.html)
New Motion: (https://my.newmotion.com/)
Osprey (was Engenie): (https://locations.ospreycharging.co.uk/)
Elmtronics Ltd
ESB Group: (https://www.esb-evsolutions.co.uk/find-a-charge-point)
Alfa Power: (https://www.alfapower.co.uk/find-charger.php)

For the others besides IONITY you may pay an admin charge - with Osprey it's £0.46 with We Charge but their regular rate is £0.35, I'm using a local Osprey site to burn through the £500 credit I got with my 1st.

·
Premium Member
7,339 Posts
Somebody posted a list recently;

Last time I tried Geniepoint with the WeCharge card, it didn’t recognise it though, so not sure if that last one is correct.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
469 Posts
Last time I tried Geniepoint with the WeCharge card, it didn’t recognise it though, so not sure if that last one is correct.
I tried with Geniepoint a few weeks ago, and spoke to them on the phone - you can use the We Charge card as an RFID card to identify yourself to the actual chargepoint, but still need a Geniepoint account with a defined payment method or credit. So in that instance the We Charge card is as useful as using a gym card to identify yourself.

·
Premium Member
7,339 Posts
I tried with Geniepoint a few weeks ago, and spoke to them on the phone - you can use the We Charge card as an RFID card to identify yourself to the actual chargepoint, but still need a Geniepoint account with a defined payment method or credit. So in that instance the We Charge card is as useful as using a gym card to identify yourself.
Ah ok, makes sense, you can register any RFID on the Genie Point App, but as I’ve got a GP account I used that anyway! I was just curious if it would work and use up my charging credit.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have an Ionity card that came with £150 free credit (valid for 12 months) but I’m struggling to use it.
I assume the Ionity card has the same ‘affiliations’ as the We Charge card as I’m guessing both are issued with VW Group car sales?
When I checked the affiliated charging networks for my Ionity card it also suggested it could be used with Geniepoint. It also failed and helpdesk gave me same answer.

This leads me to ask What networks can VW/Audi free credit be used at? (It seems that their list of affiliated networks can’t be trusted to utilise the credit)

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
...I can't check the options in the app - now I've signed up for one, it only shows details for the one on my account.

View attachment 139879
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but did you ever get to the bottom of this @Jon Chalk ? I’ve got the same problem - since adding my car to the app this afternoon all of the upgrade options have disappeared:

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
283 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but did you ever get to the bottom of this @Jon Chalk ? I’ve got the same problem - since adding my car to the app this afternoon all of the upgrade options have disappeared:
Same - can't see any option to upgrade or change, just cancel.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts