Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that one shouldn't rapid charge too often.

I've also been informed that one should do some rapid charging from time to time, ie don't avoid it altogether.

Question is, what would be a good target for rapid charging. ie at least once a week but no more than 4 or something like that. I realise I could be opening a right old can o' worms here, but I've just had a couple of cans of Brewdog and I'm feeling edgy :p (it don't take much)

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
No right answer on this one. What's the Brewdog flavour, their IPAs ok if one likes these modern very hoppy styles.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can tell you're a bitter man Freddy 😂

I like Punk, Hazy Jane and strangely Elvis Juice.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Ummm..... I have only done it once in a year when I did the Bournemouth/Blackpool trip last August.

Can't say I'm a fan of these wheaty beers either, give me a good old-fashioned IPA any day. London Pride, Ringwood Bitter from the pump or Boddingtons/Smiths from a can. But who am I to say, 33 years of crappy Aussie lagers down my gullet!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, took about 2 milliseconds for this one to go off topic.

Boddingtons! Lancashire Lemonade. Strange Ways indeed 😉

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I'm asking because if the local Nissan get its arse in gear and fixes its ChargePoint I could in theory score 2 or 3 rapids for free on my ways home from work. It's on my way.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,100 Posts
Charge as much as you want, as long as you don't let the battery get too hot, and try not to stress the battery by rapid charging often from a very low SOC.

I've completely ignored that advice and often managed to average more than 20 rapid charges per week on my old car, usually all taking place with my battery down to - - - range, and not uncommon to do long trips with repeated charge sessions filling my temperature gauge all the way into the red.

Every time I told this story before I've always said that it never harmed my car at all and it still had all the health bars showing when I got rid of it. Turns out it was only because I kept up that lifestyle consistently. After it had sat at a dealership for a while the SOH took a nose dive and I found out that the health ultimately sat in the low 70s. So I guess my answer should also say only rapid charge with the level of frequency you're willing to do every single week from now on in order to help keep the health up and not suddenly lose the capacity when your circumstances (or your interests in playing with rapid chargers and leafspy) reduce the need for plugging in so regularly.

I guess I'm asking because if the local Nissan get its arse in gear and fixes its ChargePoint I could in theory score 2 or 3 rapids for free on my ways home from work. It's on my way.
Don't count on it. I don't imagine they will ever get repaired at this point. And if they do it will be blocked with staff and demo vehicles all day every day.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers 80698. I'll bear all of that in mind.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice one. Punk was the brand builder, Elvis Juice is going too far but was a brilliant marketing move for the USA.😁
TBH I quite like the Dead Pony Club. Not strong but quaffable. I should say at this point that I am not sponsored by Brewdog and other cleansing ales are available and quite delicious also.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think that's consecutive, I maybe wrong but wasn't that "rapidgate"? And wasn't that in a long journey?

As long as you have a normal charge every 2 rapids you'll be fine.
Good info thanks, so that would fit right in with my routine.

Of course I'm delighted to see that they have marked out 4 spaces and installed the foundations for a pair of of points at the Tesco 2 mins down the road from me. I feel a lot of very relaxed slow shopping coming on.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts