Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

From having no electric vehicles and no real interest in them, I've now got not one but two on order.

I saw a lease deal for a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV a few weeks ago that got my interest, and not 4 days after ordering it my company announced a new salary sacrifice lease deal. Browsing the site I saw a really good deal on a BMW I3 once the tax savings are taken into consideration, and ordered on of those as well!

With the lead times I won't actually get to own a snazzy new EV (or part EV) until new year (maybe new year 2016 in the i3 case) but I'm really looking forward to it.

Paul

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was very lucky Paul, my wife loves the idea of an EV which was how I managed to persuade her 1 was a good idea, 2 was an even better idea!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By the way, I seem to have set up my account with my full name rather than a user name. Anyone know how I can change this?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks e geeza. No real issue with my name out there, unless I say anything too scandalous that gets back to my employer. We live in sensitive times......

·
Super Moderator
853 Posts
No worries, if no joy with Paul, you could always re-register with a more private user name I guess. I can change things on your profile like signature and occupation (which you can do yourself anyway), but not the user name.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Number 1 has arrived.

Unexpectedly early as the lease company said I did not get all the paperwork to them in time and delivery would be in the New year so I was very happy with the knock on the door yesterday to see this rolling off the wagon.

Now just got to wait until I'm fit enough to drive it, arghhhhhhhhh

image.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
You're very fortunate to have been able to acquire what many here would consider to be their ideal combo of EVs. I hope you enjoy them and keep us posted.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Having said my Mondeo was too big, then my F10 5-series was definitely too big, then that the C4 Grand Picasso I mainly drove sans-kids was ludicrously too big, why do I really like the look of the Outlander.....?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The bigger the better RP!

We don't really 'need' a car this big, but it is very useful for UK holidays, you don't travel light with 2 young kids (well, we don't anyway). I always like a big car/little car combo, which we had when we had a Saab 93 Sportwagon and Mini Cooper S Clubman. The Mini had to go to fund to the house and was replaced with a stop gap MG ZT, which is great but means not sporty little number for weekend fun. I'm hoping the i3 will act as a good Mini replacement. I know it is not fast overall, but should be fun from the lights in the city!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Paul Ellison, your boss speaking (if you want to believe that then great :eek:). Love the look of your Mitsi, I'd be great to find out real life mpg as I drive a mahoosive amount of miles every month and would love to drive an EV if it's a realistic proposition.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Father Jack, real world MPG for this vehicle is really difficult to predict and will droend heavily on your driving mix. Not taking into account electricity cost (cheating I know but let's keep this simple for now) on the myoutlanderphev forum I've seen mpg from mid/high 30s all the way to 150.

Once you run out of battery power it is not a fuel efficient car, with an underpowered petrol engine for the size of vehicle, however for short journeys, or with sensible use of the battery power and right foot, good mpg is achievable. When making comparisons always remember this is a 2 tonne, full size SUV so don't compare it with a fiesta.

Electricity costs per charge vary, but let's call it about a quid for a full charge which gives between 20 and 32 miles.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Hi Paul Ellison, your boss speaking (if you want to believe that then great :eek:). Love the look of your Mitsi, I'd be great to find out real life mpg as I drive a mahoosive amount of miles every month and would love to drive an EV if it's a realistic proposition.
For huge mileage, sadly you just can't touch a good diesel at the minute. There are no sensible EV alternatives for those doing 30k per year upwards.
I reckoned that at 25k per year an Ampera would be more efficient than a diesel, but I did lots of shorter journeys on solely electric to balance that out. Over 25k, and I really think you would struggle, unless you do a regular daily route.

·
Registered
57 Posts
For huge mileage, sadly you just can't touch a good diesel at the minute. There are no sensible EV alternatives for those doing 30k per year upwards.
I reckoned that at 25k per year an Ampera would be more efficient than a diesel, but I did lots of shorter journeys on solely electric to balance that out. Over 25k, and I really think you would struggle, unless you do a regular daily route.
Thanks Lee, sadly my thoughts too. I'm driving approx 45k a year and man maths has told me that a diseasel is the best option, depite all the nasties that get pumped out. There are some comparatively good Dervs about but still pumping NOx, HC and PM10s out that is depressing despite best intentions. Embedded carbon data is almost impossible to find out as that would help too.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Unfortunately I agree with Lee, for a high mileage user an electric vehicle doesn't quite make sense yet. A PHEV is not fuel efficient enough, and a BEV is unlikely to have sufficient range.

Maybe a hybrid? Even then a good diesel might be better/cheaper.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts