Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone made this switch??

I’ve had my 3P for a year and it’s a fantastic car, but post COVID we only need one car in the house and it needs to have a boot for dog.

I am getting a great price for the 3 and the intention was to get a cheaper ICE estate car and just wait for the Y.

However, a used X is not beyond the realm - 17/18 90D at around £60k. Head says no but heart says you’re only here once.

The performance element doesn’t bother me but bit concerned about losing range and having an older “feel” to the cabin. I had a loaner S (pre facelift) and it felt a bit stale compared to the 3, albeit more Germanic.

What are the best options to look out for?

Does free supercharging typically stay with a car?

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Also dont forget, after a cut off date in early 2017, it was just for the first owner of the car, not the life of the car.
The number of X's with free lifetime charging attached to the car is slowly dwindling down as more get thru tesla's hands.

It is a much bigger and heavier car, the best you can really expect on a run is about 290wh/mile sat at 55-60mph behind the lorries on AP.
Sat at 70mph this goes up to more like 380-450 wh/mile.

Check for battery/charge gate issues as well, some are nobbled without covering big miles and that impacts charging times and speed. dont expect anything close to your M3P for charging.
Also worth budgeting in £300 for the CCS upgrade if not already done as this will help give charging options should you need it on trips.
Check if the AC charger speed has been upgraded as well, it should show 17-18kw on the display with a good 3phase 22kw charge point, if its down as 12kw then it needs uplifting by tesla and they can do this remotely.
If its not had an MCU replacement then bank on getting the eMMC upgraded at some point for peace of mind more than anything if your keeping the car a while.
Check rear tyre wear, if the inner edges are worn then its been lowering itself above 50mph all the time and this destroys the tyres eventually, you can correct for it with camber correctors to allow the car to run all the time in low mode but they are circa £400 imported IIRC.

it is a much bigger car and if you go for a 5 seater you get a lot of boot space which can be good for a dog cage and then suitcases and such all around it as well. with the 6/7seat options you loose that nice extra area.

·
Registered
16,767 Posts
it is a much bigger car and if you go for a 5 seater you get a lot of boot space which can be good for a dog cage and then suitcases and such all around it as well. with the 6/7seat options you loose that nice extra area.
Isn’t the boot space identical with the rear row folded down? Or are you talking about the folding middle row?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, now a little unsure. Range/efficiency downgrade I can be at peace with, still cheaper and greener than ICE. SC only comes into play a few times a year, but the potential buggyness is a bother, especially if buying from an independent.

Maybe I just get an i3 and let the Mrs get her ICE barge until the Y comes along...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Thanks for the info, now a little unsure. Range/efficiency downgrade I can be at peace with, still cheaper and greener than ICE. SC only comes into play a few times a year, but the potential buggyness is a bother, especially if buying from an independent.

Maybe I just get an i3 and let the Mrs get her ICE barge until the Y comes along...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe hire one for a weekend to try or change the budget to allow more flexibility as there's a few 75's around, or a 60 if you really like charging stops 🤣🙈

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I still can't believe how much value they are holding onto currently for used vehicles 🙈

I avoid white tbh but I know most people love the colour, it's just a pain to keep clean and shows every mark up, almost as bad as black 😊

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I still can't believe how much value they are holding onto currently for used vehicles 🙈

I avoid white tbh but I know most people love the colour, it's just a pain to keep clean and shows every mark up, almost as bad as black 😊
Having just swapped form a Black Model S to a Pearl White one I would disagree, the black car was much much worse, not only dirt but showed up every swirl mark and marks on the paintwork much more than the white. Certainly in sunlight it pearl white looks much more uniform.

However I would say that the Audi A6 I had in Daytona Grey pearlescent paint was miles better than both, it never got dirty only darker, it only used to get washed when it got serviced at the garage, about every 9 months...

Will the dog be able to run about the back in the 6 seater with the 3rd row seats folded?

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Having just swapped form a Black Model S to a Pearl White one I would disagree, the black car was much much worse, not only dirt but showed up every swirl mark and marks on the paintwork much more than the white. Certainly in sunlight it pearl white looks much more uniform.

However I would say that the Audi A6 I had in Daytona Grey pearlescent paint was miles better than both, it never got dirty only darker, it only used to get washed when it got serviced at the garage, about every 9 months...

Will the dog be able to run about the back in the 6 seater with the 3rd row seats folded?
Be a snug fit with the 3rd row up unless it's a handbag pooch lol

·
Registered
172 Posts
Isn’t the boot space identical with the rear row folded down? Or are you talking about the folding middle row?
7 seater is identical if you want a completely flat load area throughout. The 5-seater just has a flat panel in place of the folded 3rd row seats. Plus you still get the additional space under the rearmost floor panel on the 7-seater, which is extremely handy for shopping - it will easily hold a full £100+ supermarket shop without even using the main part of the boot. You can even get 2 full sized suitcases in there without folding down the 3rd row seats. I presume the 5-seater does have an additional void underneath where the 3rd row seats would be, but honestly the load area is vast enough regardless and completely flat.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
And with the 5 seater tha panel nicely acts as a barrier too, but that space free'd up by the seats not being there is sooo useful :)

·
Registered
943 Posts
7 seater is identical if you want a completely flat load area throughout. The 5-seater just has a flat panel in place of the folded 3rd row seats. Plus you still get the additional space under the rearmost floor panel on the 7-seater, which is extremely handy for shopping - it will easily hold a full £100+ supermarket shop without even using the main part of the boot. You can even get 2 full sized suitcases in there without folding down the 3rd row seats. I presume the 5-seater does have an additional void underneath where the 3rd row seats would be, but honestly the load area is vast enough regardless and completely flat.
Is this Waitrose shop or Lidl shop ?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
And with the 5 seater tha panel nicely acts as a barrier too, but that space free'd up by the seats not being there is sooo useful :)
I'm guessing you have a 5 seater. The X has so much luggage space in any spec that it's a non-issue for 99% of users. I suppose if you were using it as a transit van then 5 seat is the best option. For everyone else it depends how many seats they want. A lot of people love the 6-seater, especially if carrying adults in the rear, and the 7-seater (folding bench version) is very versatile. We debated between 5 and 7 seater and went with the latter as the extra seats occasionally do come in very handy. I thought the 6-seat option was over-priced at the time and the rear seats don't fold flat like the others. Actually that's something for the OP to consider if buying an older Model X since the early 7-seater didn't have flat folding rear seats either.

·
Registered
16,767 Posts
I found a glaring problem with the loadspace of my Model X - it won’t fit a Radioflyer Tesla in the back.

Serious design omission. What were Tesla thinking?!?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts