Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have completed 15,000 miles of no hassle, great fun motoring in the e-golf in the past 15 months. Its a great car, its just missing range.. I do motorway miles (which i am quite happy to do at 65mph) for work throughout the year. In the winter months i can get 100 on the motorway tops, without the heating on, just heated seats with my gloves on :ROFLMAO:.

We are reaching a turning point where if you are willing to part with the dough there are some good models hitting the 250 real world mileage range (with the heating on!). This kind of range would be perfect for me travelling to and from construction sites and clients offices without the need for two charges. It would also mean that even after a few years and some degredation of the battery i could travel the 180 miles to the inlaws without needing to stop.

Car needs to be big enough for 2 child seats and boot for a pram, not much else, we have a bigger ICE for family days away.

The e-golf probably has a trade of about 15k by early next year. So what should i be looking to trade up too? Ideally with a cap of 40k.

Potentials as i can see it;

• Leaf 62kw - cooling / charging issues.
  • ID3 Long Range 77kw
  • ID3 1st Edition 60kw
  • Kia Soul 62kw
  • Kia e-niro 62kw
  • Skoda Enyaq

At the moment i am thinking that the Kia Soul might give me exactly what i need and is at the best price point especially when you consider the warranty on top. The first editions have all the tech and can be picked up for just over 30k now.

Any thoughts?

Ben

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
524 Posts
If you want to join a bunch of very satisfied long ranger owners, check out the Kona 64kw. Similar to the e-niro but with advantages including almost immediate delivery instead of over six months.

We initially assumed we'd buy a leaf, but as you say battery management is a weak point. The strength of the leaf, in my eye, is it's V2G capability which can be done on a lease deal. I haven't seen any reports back from anyone of how this works out, but certainly worth considering.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,068 Posts
Not a lot to say, my choice was Soul EV because of range, price, equipment and HUD.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,068 Posts
Duplicate post, please ignore

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
768 Posts
2 kids and a pram requirement knocks out the soul doesnt it?

Is it a 35kw egolf? If so i think you are under estimating its resale value by 4k at least

I would go with the eniro from that list. Enyaq looks lovely but its very expensive

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
single pram, the soul should fit it (although i havent tested yet).

Yes its a 19 plate e-golf, thinking of the residual early next year, agree its 19k ish at the moment

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
485 Posts
The e-Niro is quite a large car, would be more than adequate for your needs. I wanted a soul but my wife wasn't keen on the looks... and then one of the dealer managers took it home so we couldn't test drive it.... that was that. e-niro 4, which is available without a six month wait, doesn't have the HUD.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Have you also considered a Tesla Model 3?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you also considered a Tesla Model 3?
I have - and the charging network seems far superior than what the rest are left with! In my head i would have to have the range extended version which tots up to nearly 50k so had discounted really on price..

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I have - and the charging network seems far superior than what the rest are left with! In my head i would have to have the range extended version which tots up to nearly 50k so had discounted really on price..
The SR+ version would cover your 180 miles journey pretty easily with the backup of the Tesla network. Also inventory stock can be often obtained at a discount. May be worth a test drive.

·
Registered
Soul EV 2020
47 Posts
I'm not sure you'll get a balanced view on the forum - apart from those who've had bad experiences people will be promoting the same choices they made?

And given there are currently more tesla owners on the forum you'll get more votes for tesla.

As someone who went for a soul - I'm delighted with it - preferred over Kona and Niro because of the cabin space + higher driving position (and we liked the looks) HUD wasn't a factor but I do like it and the active cruise control in motorway contraflow is superb.

As for the aerodynamics - current overall average is 4.6m/kWh & that includes multiple 70mph motorway trips where it didn't drop below 4.1 and school runs where it alternates between 4.3 and 5 am vs pm.
- I understood tesla figures are between 3.7 and 4.1 in normal driving so the efficiency seems to compensate sufficiently?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Here is an objective view - EPA efficiency ratings as per the link below. Tesla is quite a bit more efficient than the Soul, Kona or Niro, with the Soul being the least efficient.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
485 Posts
A lot depends on when you drive as well. With much of my regular motorway driving if I've not been slowed (or stopped) by heavy traffic it's really unusual. Recently been doing 130 miles each end of the week and if I can mange to average 50 I'm very happy.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,068 Posts
Here is an objective view - EPA efficiency ratings as per the link below. Tesla is quite a bit more efficient than the Soul, Kona or Niro, with the Soul being the least efficient.
Why would I fucking care what does an EPA rating state, when I can see the car outside and I can measure my own efficiency?

@firetrax you had your answer from the OP, why stick around? Not everyone is interested in an overpriced ipad on wheels.

And if you want to be objective, why don't you comment on this:
Tesla M3 achieves 78% of claimed range!!!!

My apologies to the OP. Resume normal operation now...:coffee:

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Why would I fucking care what does an EPA rating state, when I can see the car outside and I can measure my own efficiency?

@firetrax you had your answer from the OP, why stick around? Not everyone is interested in an overpriced ipad on wheels.

And if you want to be objective, why don't you comment on this:
Tesla M3 achieves 78% of claimed range!!!!

My apologies to the OP. Resume normal operation now...:coffee:
Ooooh someone is getting their knickers in a twist! Calm down dear. Someone asked for an objective view and the EPA comparison is a lot more objective than what you say about your ugly heap and the pointless and misleading video you posted. Keep taking the meds dear.

·
Registered
Soul EV 2020
47 Posts
The video reported the tesla running at 3.9m/kWh and the Niro at 4.0 - what's misleading about that?

EPA figures represent US long range driving, WLTP represent European more urban driving - which is where we are.
These have the tesla sr+ at 4.0 ml/kWh and the e-Niro at 3.9 - not a huge difference - 5 miles per 50kW.

Main difference with the Soul/Niro of course is that its a hatchback!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
The video reported the tesla running at 3.9m/kWh and the Niro at 4.0 - what's misleading about that?

EPA figures represent US long range driving, WLTP represent European more urban driving - which is where we are.
These have the tesla sr+ at 4.0 ml/kWh and the e-Niro at 3.9 - not a huge difference - 5 miles per 50kW.

Main difference with the Soul/Niro of course is that its a hatchback!
No they don't. EPA is a mixture of City and Highway driving and warm and cold temperatures. Much more realistic than WLTP figures and the best way to compare cars on a consistent, objective basis.
You can also run the figures with differing percentages if City and highway driving. Below are the figures on 100% City driving:

·
Registered
Soul EV 2020
47 Posts
We'll just have to disagree wrt uk applicability of EPA vs WLTP.

You didn't say what was the problem with the video?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts