Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any adapters that allow me to charge my i3 at a Tesla charging point? Where to buy? Thank you.

·
Registered
249 Posts
No adaptor required, standard type 2 cable, but the charge point must be white in colour. Red ones only work with Tesla vehicles.

This only for destination chargers, with no cable attached.

·
Registered
214 Posts
No adaptor required, standard type 2 cable, but the charge point must be white in colour. Red ones only work with Tesla vehicles.

This only for destination chargers, with no cable attached.
Not forgetting that the charge rate is limited to that found at other outlets with Type 2 connectors, for example, your home charge point, so 7Kw maximum. As ScottC says a 'destination charger', so OK if you are staying somewhere overnight; not really a quick 'pick me up' if you are stopping for lunch somewhere.

I mention this because people see 'Tesla' and think 'high performance', which it definately isn't.

Regards.

·
Registered
17,461 Posts
I mention this because people see 'Tesla' and think 'high performance', which it definately isn't.
They’re normally three phase, so you can get 11 kW or even 22 kW charging, depending on the car.

So better than most.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
They’re normally three phase, so you can get 11 kW or even 22 kW charging, depending on the car.

So better than most.
For that to work with an i3, the OP will need a 3-phase cable.

Also available from a number of other cable manufacturers.

·
Registered
17,461 Posts

·
Registered
17,461 Posts
I stand corrected. From time-t0-time, I use Ecotricity 22kW chargers which need a 3 phase cable.
They are a bit of an oddity.

I can’t think of another AC destination charger network that provides tethered chargers.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
EH units have a tethered AC don’t they?

·
Registered
736 Posts
So to be clear, are there always some Tesla chargers in the banks of destination chargers that have tethered 3 phase supplies for CCS and deliver 11kW? If so, how do you pay for their use? Are they identified on Zap Map?

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,102 Posts
So to be clear, are there always some Tesla chargers in the banks of destination chargers that have tethered 3 phase supplies for CCS and deliver 11kW? If so, how do you pay for their use? Are they identified on Zap Map?
Destination chargers, not superchargers. They are generally on Zap Map yes and are free to use.

The cable is tethered, and is 3 Phase AC (Type 2 connector - Not CCS) for up to 22kW generally, but will depend on what onboard charger your car has, as to if you'll get anywhere near the 22kW.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts