Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front splitter can be removed. It's held in place by 15 small screws. I actually don't take delivery of my ampera til 11th June but I know it won't pass over the indent into my drive as its ground clearance is only 100 mm - I used to have a tvr (in my bad boy days) with the same clearance...and it just scraped horribly. I asked vauxhall to do this prior to delivery and they happily agreed.

Ps have been truly impressed by vauxhall so far. :)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Hi Jono6395 and welcome to the forum!

Most people see quite happy with Vauxhall so far too but as you read through the forum you will see that there are a few that have had one or two problems. but they are being resolved. I haven't had any major issues myself (I have the front passenger seat being replaced because of a cut in the leather but that is all) and the response from my dealer has been perfectly fine.

Regarding the front spoiler... clearly Jono6395 has an overriding reason to remove the spoiler and that is of course always an option for anyone but for everyone else I would just voice a word of caution... I am no expert regarding car aerodynamics but from what I do know I can imagine that the spoiler is a major component in achieving the fuel and energy economy of the Ampera. I suspect that Vauxhall consider it very important otherwise why would they go to the trouble of putting it on and making it of a material that is able to cope with grounding. Clearly I don't know what the impact of removing the spoiler would be but I would recommend that if you don't have an overriding reason to remove it that you leave it on. Sure, it will ground and it does sound horrible! But it is designed to just scrape and flop back so it isn't actually doing any damage.

Everytime I drive off my driveway it grounds and it grounds on the speed bumps in my road too but I am just accepting it and gritting my teeth at the sound when it does. I have looked and it isn't damaging anything but the spoiler might wear down a bit over time and I suppose.

I think it makes the car look great having a more ground-hugging appearance.

Just a thought :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Paul - you are right this should not generally be removed - I've asked vauxhall to provide the part so I can perhaps fit it later - id just rather do so at my leisure rather than take it off because I've broken it :D

Im looking forward to getting the car. I've ordered power blue. I've not seen this colour in the metal yet.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
yep problems here too, with many scrapes per day.. funny when pedestrians turn to see what all the noise is though..

I also have had to refit the tab from the corner section to the centre section on a number of occasions, perhaps there is a fitting problem here?

I have to say that I really dislike speed bumps if they want slow traffic impose a slow speed Limit that's what the Speed Limit is for after all.

P.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I asked my dealer about this, the last few cms are a rubber skirt which is relatively low cost and is expected to deteriorate over time from scraping. I have had several cars in the past with low front ground clearance and this approach with a replaceable rubber skirt is the best I've seen yet having paid several hundred pounds for a replacement front valance on a Volvo a couple of years ago.
The aerodynamic benefit is worth having and GM/Vauxhall seem to see it as a wear and tear part that can be replaced from time to time. Let it scrape - thats whats meant to happen.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Jono6395 said:
...or take off the ridiculous spoiler that only gives you 5 microns of ground clearance..... :D
Sorry Jono but it is not rediculous for most people. It reduces the drag on the car, particularly at speed, significantly. You would be well advised to keep it on if you want the best energy and fuel consumption. Clearly you can remove it if you want but you might see your EV range reduced as a result and an increased petrol use when in ER mode.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,936 Posts
There was another powder blue with it removed in Poole when I got mine. Someone should do a comparison of range with and without.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd simply say that for a car that can do over 275 mpg, the advantage provided by a low air splitter would be rather marginal.

It would be a bit like asking Julia Roberts to wear hair extensions to make her prettier. :cool:

For me anyway, the incline in front of my house has quite a deep pitch, so I probably have a bigger issue with this than most people, which is why I've taken the precaution of having it removed. If you dont have to have it removed, keep it. Simple.

(Watch out for horse manure in the road though!)

·
Registered
19 Posts
On the Volt, Gm says that the front spoiler adds about 1 mile of range per charge. (pretty significant)

That is about 5% improvement.

If you didn't already know, there is a shorter spoiler available from GM for the Volt, and the two are probably interchangeable. That might be a solution for those who don't want to completely remove it. I think it only costs about $40 American for it.

Maybe someone should initiate a parts exchange program, I know some Volt owners want to get the Ampera wheels and body panels, for instance.

Or maybe, eventually, GM will make parts available to both groups.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts