Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a front facing camera in my Ampera which works fine. After a recent 4WD tailgating episode I need to install a rear facing camera. Fitting one to the Ampera tailgate may be a constant problem with it moving due to using the tailgate.
I have looked at the NextBase Duo but Im not convinced that the rear facing zoom camera would give a good view of whats going on behind me.
Has anyone used the NextBase Duo or similar front/back camera and could give me an opinion please.
Nextbase DUO - Front and Rear Dash Cam | Nextbase

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just for information I have not gone ahead with a rear camera. Some information I have found reports that installing on the tailgate means the camera angle will alter and occasionally fall of due to opening and closing the tailgate. There is more chance of fraying cables also.
The Nextbase Duo lenses do not move up and down so it can be difficult to get a correct view at both front and back, also its heavy and I'm told does not have a great suction mounting and is prone to falling off.
I will wait until something suitable comes along.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Try the BlackVue DR650 cameras, very discreet for the front and the rear one is even smaller. I've had mine for about three years and never had any problems with them. no screens on them as they use wi-fi or put the card into a laptop.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Mines stuck on not using suction and cables will take years to wear.
I would really warn against using a mine in the car.
Yes it will punish the car behind when it crashes into you, but seems like an overreaction.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Try the BlackVue DR650 cameras, very discreet for the front and the rear one is even smaller. I've had mine for about three years and never had any problems with them. no screens on them as they use wi-fi or put the card into a laptop.
The problem with the BackVue or similar front screen rear facing camera is the angle of view. First they cannot see anything approaching from an angle at the back, and cannot often get registration plates. They are really only good for viewing inside the vehicle and what can be seen directly behind up the road.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The problem with the BackVue or similar front screen rear facing camera is the angle of view. First they cannot see anything approaching from an angle at the back, and cannot often get registration plates. They are really only good for viewing inside the vehicle and what can be seen directly behind up the road.
But the BlackVue dual range has two cameras with wide angle lenses. Main one in the front and a separate smaller one in the back. Rear one plugs into the front which contains the SD. A bit pricey, but they work well.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But the BlackVue dual range has two cameras with wide angle lenses. Main one in the front and a separate smaller one in the back. Rear one plugs into the front which contains the SD. A bit pricey, but they work well.
Thanks for that, when I last looked they were too expensive, but I see that the DR430-2CH is just in my price range (£200), shame its cable and not wireless connecting them though. Will look for a reliable installer at a good price. Thanks again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts