Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A day before my service, I had an issue with the car. It had been parked on my drive for 5 days, but when I tried to move it the brakes were still on. Eventually there was a bank and the car was able to move.

On way to the service the next days there was a noise from the front passenger side.

Hyundai service told me the front brake pad had stuck to the disk and both now have damage and need repair. Since this isn't a warranty issue not covered by service I need to pay.

Does this sound right ? Seem really odd to me that the front brake would stick on whilst parked. Maybe a brake spring temporary failure or something ?

Anyone had this before ?

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Ours can take a moment to start moving when it has been parked up a while and it can be accompanied by a bit of a squeal indicating there may be a bit of surface corrosion on the disk. Haven’t had anything that severe though.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
I thought when the car is parked the front brakes would be released from the disc on parking ... so how could this happen ?
They aren't pressed on the disc but the gap is tiny. Water will happily sit in there by capillary action.

It often happens after washing the car and the next day there is a slight pulsing scraping noise from the light rusting if the car isn't used soon after, so I always drive a few yards up and down to clear the water out after a wash. 5 days is obviously going to beget more rust, though I'm a bit suspicious about the discs being junk that soon.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They aren't pressed on the disc but the gap is tiny. Water will happily sit in there by capillary action.

It often happens after washing the car and the next day there is a slight pulsing scraping noise from the light rusting if the car isn't used soon after, so I always drive a few yards up and down to clear the water out after a wash. 5 days is obviously going to beget more rust, though I'm a bit suspicious about the discs being junk that soon.
Ah, thanks, that makes much more sense to me now ... yes, the car was just washed. Thanks for the reply.

I did get a second opinion from Hyundai BTW :

xxx has advised that on investigation of the brake pad, it had incurred a piece of debris between the caliper and the brake pad and had caused this to fail, this is not a mechanical failure and it is not covered under the warranty as it has been caused by an outside influence.

I am very sorry, Mr Lord, the warranty would not cover this repair as it has been caused by and external cause.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
investigation of the brake pad, it had incurred a piece of debris between the caliper and the brake pad
That's very unusual. I was expecting it to say disc and pad, which would fit with having washed a bit of something in, though that wouldn't have jammed until the car was moved a bit, which it wasn't.
I don't think you'll ever know for sure now. The garage will cover their backsides one way or another.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A day before my service, I had an issue with the car. It had been parked on my drive for 5 days, but when I tried to move it the brakes were still on. Eventually there was a bank and the car was able to move.

On way to the service the next days there was a noise from the front passenger side.

Hyundai service told me the front brake pad had stuck to the disk and both now have damage and need repair. Since this isn't a warranty issue not covered by service I need to pay.

Does this sound right ? Seem really odd to me that the front brake would stick on whilst parked. Maybe a brake spring temporary failure or something ?

Anyone had this before ?
This is normal on any car parked where any moisture may be present in the air, the brake rotor rusts onto the sintered metal brake pads, I've had this happen on all my cars and even my moutain bike which has disc brakes and metallic pads too.
When you heard a bang it was simply the pads and disc separating, there will now be a rust Mark on your brake rotor and that's what you hear when driving.....the brake pad rubbing over the rust Mark on brake rotor.
On a normal car this noise will go away very quickly as when you apply the brakes the brake pad literally scrubs away the surface of the brake rotor leaving it all clean and shiny, on a ev this will take longer as you tend to use regenerative braking. So in short go for a drive apply the brakes HARD a couple of times and noise should go away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts