Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2016 24 kWh Leaf with nigh on 30 K on the clock. Quite persistent now but the odd clunk/knock can be heard at very low speeds. This occurs when manoeuvring, full and half lock and when decelerating/accelerating.

Any ideas, perhaps it's the symptoms are of a renowned fault?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Well known issue with the knocking drive shafts.
Have a search on here.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Strip down clean up and refit packed with Molykote G N. (I think that's what it was called).
My 16 plate is doing it.
My 18 plate 40 did it but was sorted under warranty.
It is subject to a service bulletin.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts

That's the stuff.
I had a printoff but passed it to a friend.
There's loads of in depth info elsewhere on here.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Strip down clean up and refit packed with Molykote G N. (I think that's what it was called).
My 16 plate is doing it.
My 18 plate 40 did it but was sorted under warranty.
It is subject to a service bulletin.
Is the drive shaft worn when this noise appears, this is the culprit?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Not worn as I had it on my first 40 after a couple of months.
It needs packing then torqueing up.
Only issue is the locking nut needs removing carefully or it strips the thread, any half decent mechanic would be aware of this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 2014 has done it since I bought it 2 years ago seams to be more noticeable in dry weather! I did buy the special grease to do the job but have kind of got used to the noise now. Will probably have a go when the brakes need attention.
There was a special Nissan notice about the problem and how to solve it but the guys have pretty much covered it above , might be best to find it as it has an updated torque figure for the drive shaft nut, sorry I have not got it but I am sure one of the clever people on here will point you in the right direction if needed.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Funnily enough on our local Facebook group we have an E Garage owner as a member.
He was doing just this repair on a 40 Leaf yesterday.
It is warranty but he said the customer just asked him on top of the normal service.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not worn as I had it on my first 40 after a couple of months.
It needs packing then torqueing up.
Only issue is the locking nut needs removing carefully or it strips the thread, any half decent mechanic would be aware of this.
Thanks for the advice there, I'll be sure to pass it on to the mechanic at my local independent garage. Much appreciated :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 2014 has done it since I bought it 2 years ago seams to be more noticeable in dry weather! I did buy the special grease to do the job but have kind of got used to the noise now. Will probably have a go when the brakes need attention.
There was a special Nissan notice about the problem and how to solve it but the guys have pretty much covered it above , might be best to find it as it has an updated torque figure for the drive shaft nut, sorry I have not got it but I am sure one of the clever people on here will point you in the right direction if needed.
I figured to might an inherent fault, every car has them. Thankfully it doesn't sound an expensive fix> Though I'm a little surprised considering my Leaf is a relatively young example, issues with drive shafts usually occur on higher mileage/older cars in general.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think it is an inherent fault with some Nissan cars and not just the leaf as far as I am aware it is not down to worn components just slight movement due to torque in the driveshaft splines and hub splines and the matting faces where the drive shaft sits into the hub,
Causing the click/knock on pull away and on overrun. You will probably notice that after about 30 mph it does not do it and as in my case only happens on the o/s.good luck!and let us know how you get on

1 - 12 of 12 Posts