Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -

In November we picked up an approved used i3 94Ah REX.
Today I was looking at the car and I noticed the front shock dust boots seemed totally knackered.
This doesn't look like something that has happened recently.
Both sides are totally perished and the bump-stops are clearly visible. Take a look at the photo!

7240aa63-9df4-4f96-8a0f-061992748614 2.JPG

1 - Is this something an approved used warranty would cover? Our previous car needed rear shock gaiters for its first MOT and they were covered.
2 - Has anyone paid for this job to be done? How much did it cost?

The car's going in to have a new reversing cam fitted in a week, so I'm not sure whether to aim for this to be done at the same time, ideally FOC.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Hi -

In November we picked up an approved used i3 94Ah REX.
Today I was looking at the car and I noticed the front shock dust boots seemed totally knackered.
This doesn't look like something that has happened recently.
Both sides are totally perished and the bump-stops are clearly visible. Take a look at the photo!

View attachment 129103

1 - Is this something an approved used warranty would cover? Our previous car needed rear shock gaiters for its first MOT and they were covered.
2 - Has anyone paid for this job to be done? How much did it cost?

The car's going in to have a new reversing cam fitted in a week, so I'm not sure whether to aim for this to be done at the same time, ideally FOC.
Thanks!
You could ask for the replacement shock boots to be covered: unfortunately rubber goods such as bushes, seals, bellows etc are often explicitly excluded being considered wear and tear items.

Its a job that any good garage could do if you are forced to pay for it yourself.

I'm just about to change the shock boots on an 8 year old French car myself, not because they need it but just on age. Funny thing this German quality perception.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello!

I know they're a perishable part, but approved used cars shouldn't need maintenance jobs doing.
Nothing to do with perception of quality!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,952 Posts
Hello!

I know they're a perishable part, but approved used cars shouldn't need maintenance jobs doing.
Nothing to do with perception of quality!
How long does that last for? I would have expected the garage to have checked them before delivering the car so perhaps it is something that has happened since then? If so, then it's down to the small print.
Check the details of your policy before starting the conversation. The parts are relatively cheap but you will need full alignment afterwards because the front suspension is McPherson struts based so it will be expensive at BMW rates, or even at an independent as they will see you coming (not a personal comment, but they will view an i3 owner as able to afford it).

·
Registered
BMW i3 REx 2014
247 Posts
My ones were done for free via the BMW used car warranty, last year - it was the BMW workshop team that noticed the problem and asked me if I wanted them to cure it :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts