Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had the car a couple of days, and whilst I like it a lot, the front catches on just about everything. I note the manual makes reference to this as normal behavior but surely it can't be good. There are a few speed bumps on the way home which no matter how slow I drive scrape the dammed thing, and that's in addition to the driveway, the car park entrance at work, the NCP in....... and so on.

As a side note, I seem to remember reading some time ago about a maximum limit on the height and incline of a speed bump but looking now I can't find it anywhere. I suspect its just yet more sensible legislation swept aside by excessive lobbying from the freaky cult of speed haters.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Hi Richard,

I think that everyone pretty much feels the same about the front skirt but in my opinion I think it is something we really need not be concerned about. OK, it is noisy sometimes and it sure sounds like damage is being done but it really is fine as far as I can tell.

The skirt is designed to do that and that is why it is made of the material it is made of. I have speed bumps down all the local roads in Saltash and I too hit them all the time as I do everytime I leave my drive.

It might wear it down eventually but it is designed to be easily (and hopefully fairly cheaply???) replaced.

Some people have decided to remove it and that is easily done too but there will be a hit on fuel and energy consumption. I am just going to accept the scraping as a "feature" :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
After a while you will get used to the skirt continually grounding, I hated it for a start but now see it as a warning when going over humps, sharp angled car parks or badly rutted ground as found in many of the off road car parks or still to come, snow rutted roads.
It is better to hit the skirt rather than damage the underside of the car.
Take care when parking forward towards a kerb as reversing it off will probably pull the 3 parts of the skirt apart, possibly damaging it. Best to stop before the kerb.
Expect that over time the skirt will become more of a grass skirt :lol:

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I have also found that it is also a good warning to pedestrians that I am approaching and also it is quite fun to know it will ground and when it does to see the passers by wincing. I can also almost hear their thoughts... "that will cost him" I can imagine them thinking... meanwhile I just smile :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
A shortened skirt which is half the height of the one supplied, is now available, priced at £39.78. Part number is 20993998.
However, the shortened aero dam will have an impact on the Amperas efficiency but will give more ground clearance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
woth putting up with the scraping noise for the aerodynamic benefit .... i love how quiet the car is at 70

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I'm so used to scraping noise that I found myself making the sound myself over every speedbump when I was driving a loaned Ampera while mine was in service and they had removed the skirt on the demonstrator.

I guess you just get conditioned ..

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I was concerned when I first got the Ampera in 2012 that the skirt would get frayed and ripped fairly quickly, given it scrapes every time I drive off my drive and over every speed bump, but it's pretty tough and isn't showing any signs of strain after 14,000 miles and 14 months..

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I have caught it a couple of times on kerbs when parking nose into parking spaces and the centre section disconnected from the end bit and flapped. I just clipped them back in place.

·
Registered
138 Posts
After having to pull over into a "puddle" to let a big tractor pass on a single trak road the other day I thought I should check my air dam as it looked a bit muddy etc. It had become detatched from the end pieces and has torn a little so I'm going to add a request to the second service list and will probably get the shorter version fitted at the same time.

Apart from the damage caused by something hard in the "puddle", the plastic had only worn away a small amount despite me grounding almost every day over a few sleeping policemen near home

Anyone already had the shorter one fitted and noticed anything I should be aware of?

Big Paul

·
Registered
138 Posts
Its all gone very quiet over the speed bumps now that the shorter front spoiler is fitted.

Not sure what I can critisise the Ampera for now that has sorted my "most annoying feature of the car"

So, second annual service done and updates / recalls sorted and still on the original tyres after nearly 20,000 miles around the Milton Keynes roundabouts!!!!

Big Paul

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Must admit I'm a bit puzzled about all this. In the week I've owned it, the only time it's scraped on something was in a car park when I was over the kerb slightly; it's never scraped on any of the numerous speed humps we have round here. Maybe the 2014 cars have the shorter spoiler fitted as standard? It still looks very low though...

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Mine sometimes catches on speed humps Richard,mnad sometimes not. The profile of the speed hump is the main factor I think. Can you post a photo of the middle section of your spoiler and I'll compare it with my 18 month old one! :)

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
I'm pretty sure they said somewhere on the US forums that the shorter skirt is indeed now the standard.

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
I'm pretty sure they said somewhere on the US forums that the shorter skirt is indeed now the standard.
Wow, if that's the case, just how low was the original one? Mine looks pretty low and as the car is sitting outside my office window I popped out to check. Ground clearance is 75mm

Now I have had my car just over 4 weeks and it does ground quite easily, however nowhere near as bad as I thought it would. It does catch on my kerb every morning as I come out my driveway at an angle but there's not much I can do about that.

Otherwise I can live with the occasional scrape.

Derek

Reactions: Richard Gledhill

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have lived with the scraping for 14 months now and while it was annoying at first, it no longer bothers me and does not appear to have suffered any wear. I was thinking of getting the shorter version 12 months ago but no longer think it is worth doing.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I have lived with the scraping for 14 months now and while it was annoying at first, it no longer bothers me and does not appear to have suffered any wear. I was thinking of getting the shorter version 12 months ago but no longer think it is worth doing.
Yes, ditto here.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts