Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, needed a couple of new tyres, got a decent price for a couple at halfrauds of all places, all good so far.

Picked up the car and heard a couple of noises that weren't there before, but thought it could be the suspension settling, so thought I'd see how it was on the way home, no better.

Best description I can think of is a metallic twanging noise, when turning very slowly and applying full lock either way.

I thought it might be something catllchinh the stone guards on the back of the discs, so took it back in today.

One of the mechanics had a look, took it for a spin and then put it on the ramp, came back and said it was the strut top bearing seized, so the strut was trying to turn when the wheels were being turned but it wasn't spinning, then the bearing would suddenly release.

Any thoughts?

I'm a bit peeved that it went in for a tyre change and now needs something else fixing.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So is the suspension basically the same as the juke's?

Thinking the top mount shouldn't be too much if its not a unique Leaf part.

Might get a pair of spring compressors and change it over myself.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,348 Posts
Well, assuming it was one of the replaced wheels, the thing is that the weight has been unloaded off the bearing and then the strut rotated. It has probably found a few rusty bearing balls or displaced something else already a bit worn or rusty or untoward, and arguably this has hastened its failure, but it's quite likely failed because it was about to fail.

Could this be related to the corroded top strut thing others have found where the top nut fills with water?

·
Registered
84 Posts
[QUOTE

Could this be related to the corroded top strut thing others have found where the top nut fills with water?[/QUOTE]

Seems more than likely, its a swimming pool in there. I've changed a few strut top mounts over the years and I'm always surprised by the tiny ball bearings they typically use, get a bit of rusting in there and they will soon fail.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone know if the Leaf shares these bearings with the juke?

Will it just be new bearings, or will it be the full topmount assembly?

The garage got back to me with a cost of £208 supplied and fitted, the parts are £128 inc VAT and I think are from the factory as the Nissan parts depot said there's a 2-3 day wait on them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
They're obviously marking up the parts but the overall price is fair enough . I would still probably tackle it myself as I have decent spring compressors, but I must admit compressing suspension springs is a job that I hate doing:(
Always wonder how far away my wife will find my head should something go wrong:eek:

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Could this be related to the corroded top strut thing others have found where the top nut fills with water?
I suspect so.

Every early Leaf owner should obtain a yoghurt pot to fit upside down over the driver side suspension strut top. That will shed water from the drain hole in the driver side wiper mount to where it will do no damage. A good blob of grease in the strut top before fitting the pot would be a good idea too.

That drain hole was brilliantly designed by Nissan to fill that strut top with water every time it rains. And that then causes corrosion and lovely money in the til for repairs such as this. If inspection shows that the strut top is dry that simply means that the wiper spindle drain hole is blocked with sycamore seeds and misc crud and needs a good clean out.

Seriously Leaf 24 and 30 owners - do this zero cost mod right away. I'm not sure if this also affects the Leaf 40 but it's worth checking.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
New Genuine FEBEST Strut Support Mounting Anti Friction Bearing NB-F15F Top Ger 4056111087351 | eBay

Seems to be the same as Juke and others, OE quality for around £20 or take a chance on a cheap one for less than a tenner. Find that you really get what you pay for with bearings though;)
Thanks, I have a feeling they'll say 'we can only fit parts listed on our database', or words to that affect.

I'll get a second opinion from the garage down the road I've used before and see what they can do.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I suspect so.

Every early Leaf owner should obtain a yoghurt pot to fit upside down over the driver side suspension strut top. That will shed water from the drain hole in the driver side wiper mount to where it will do no damage. A good blob of grease in the strut top before fitting the pot would be a good idea too.

That drain hole was brilliantly designed by Nissan to fill that strut top with water every time it rains. And that then causes corrosion and lovely money in the til for repairs such as this.

Seriously Leaf 24 and 30 owners - do this zero cost mod right away.
I've actually got a strut top cap that I had 3D printed last year at work in a bag somewhere, but have never got round to trying it and getting another one printed if it fits... I think it'll be going on once this is repaired!

·
870 Posts
My ebay 3D printed caps came yesterday. Will fit 'em at the weekend, after drying things out and using ACF 50.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I know this forum has a lot of sticky’s but I have owned my LEAF and checked into SpeakEV almost daily for almost 2 years now and somehow missed the drivers side top mount advisory that @Hitstirrer has mentioned on several threads. I followed his advice this weekend and found a rusty top nut and clogged wiper drain. Not as bad as some (it was actually dry), but an easy and free fix to save £££ for someone in the future

Can we make this a sticky (or a separate preventative maintenance thread) so that everyone has a chance to do something about this with their LEAF 24/30 (may apply in the 40 forum if theirs are also affected)?

The advice (another thank you to @Hitstirrer plus others) on regularly charging the 12v battery should also feature in a sticky as it’s another issue regularly seen across threads this forum

Perhaps you could un-sticky the leaf 2 delivery dates and car wings threads that seem a bit less relevant now and replace with something like this?

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Every early Leaf owner should obtain a yoghurt pot to fit upside down over the driver side suspension strut top.
It's still the same with the current models too.
@Blackeunos Is it the front offside one? That's where the swimming pool develops.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
It's still the same with the current models too.
@Blackeunos Is it the front offside one? That's where the swimming pool develops.
The black plastic caps that are fitted to a Nissan Note are a perfect fit if you have no yoghurt pots. Obtainable from a Nissan dealer or a scrap Note. Clearly some bright spark decided to delete fitting them to the LEAF to save money. Or if you wish fit both plastic caps and then the yoghurt pots over the top.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
It's my first time, so please be gentle ;)

What grease I should buy to put on the strut before putting the 3D printed ebay cover on it? Where else can I use this grease?

I've never done any car DIY........ only checking fluid levels and topping up washer fluid. I would like to start doing some simple jobs (I hear brake pad and disc change are one of easiest) on this Leaf. Because EV will be less messy right?

1 - 20 of 100 Posts