Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I have to admit I had to google to work out where the struts were after staring at the engine for 10 minutes making incorrect guesses..

Mine were pretty manky (twigs and all sorts in there) but cleaned them up best I can and added the tops so hopefully they'll last a few more years.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for posting this.

I have a Gen 1car and the drivers sidedrain was blocked etc, etc. Not the passenger side. The car has caps (apparently from new) so now cleaned out, drains flushed through, top fittings dried (with a hair dryer) liberaly dosed with WD 40 and caps cleaned and refitted. All of 40 minutes work... So easy I will make it a b-iannual check in spring and autumn. However...

The vegetable matter flushed down the drains is presumably now lodged inside the wheelarch liner at the bottom corners of the wing. o_O When the weather warms up I will open them up and clean them out. :(

The part number of the cap is 54330 ED000 and they are available from a well known online auction site from £2.17 upwards for a pair. They are a push fit, no sealant required but a line of grease under the flange would help reduce water ingress.

A job well worth doing. :cool:

·
Registered
82 Posts
It was mentioned elsewhere on this forum that the VW caps will fit. Can anyone remember what model VW it was.
Don't know that but... the bit that pushes into the top of the strut is 44mm diameter and the originals were made by Toyo so they are probably common to many golf sized cars (perhaps with a link to Japanese makers.)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I'm glad everyone else has benefitted from my bad luck!

If you'd all like to leave a small donation from the money that I've saved you it would be much appre.... Lol!

I still haven't had chance to go to the garage to sort it out, so plenty of low speed twanging going on from the seized bearing, not getting any worse though, so will get it sorted soon.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I'm glad everyone else has benefitted from my bad luck!

If you'd all like to leave a small donation from the money that I've saved you it would be much appre.... Lol!

I still haven't had chance to go to the garage to sort it out, so plenty of low speed twanging going on from the seized bearing, not getting any worse though, so will get it sorted soon.
Most of us benefited from this 2017 thread:
Leaf won't start
That thread is where the yoghurt pot fix was first suggested and if you'd read it you could have avoided the problem and saved money yourself.
I gather Japanese built Leafs at that time did have an official cover fitted by Nissan so why Sunderland ones didn't I've no idea. Penny pinching?.

·
Registered
6 Posts
407D8A6A-BDB7-41C9-B708-F2692D572AB5.jpeg
I too the dreaded top mount rust.....drivers side.
64 reg 22000 miles.
Booked in Nissan Exeter 3 April, hopefully warranty.......
Have bought two 3D printed caps off eBay when fixed.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Booked in Nissan Exeter 3 April, hopefully warranty....
If you're hoping they will replace the suspension strut under warranty I suspect that you will be sorely disappointed. The rusting mounting is a "design feature", not strictly a "fault".

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you're hoping they will replace the suspension strut under warranty I suspect that you will be sorely disappointed. The rusting mounting is a "design feature", not strictly a "fault".
Fingers crossed some financial help. So much for there Nissan cared4 check and no mention on the mot.......

·
Registered
692 Posts
They wouldn't even be looked at during an mot and it would not be regarded as being in a dangerous condition even if they were. Nissan won't do anything about it. A good clean up and the covers fitted will sort it out.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I too the dreaded top mount rust.....drivers side.
64 reg 22000 miles.
Booked in Nissan Exeter 3 April, hopefully warranty.......
Wouldn't the three years have just run out at the end of February?
It might be rusty but does it need replacing?

·
Registered
6 Posts
A big thank you to Nissan Exeter for sorting the rust on the suspension mount. As we speak Nissan customer services are helping with the cost. Now the mount covers have been applied. No more rust. Happy days.

·
Registered
46 Posts
@thecaretaker has made a video showing how simple it is to install these covers for 2018 LEAF. I Can confirm it’s same procedure for gen2 LEAF

This is for you and anybody else who would like to know how to fit the 3D printed vented suspension strut caps. 1 set arrived today and I made up a little video for you. Hope it isn't too wobbly as I had to do the job one handed while holding the camera. I hope you find it useful.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for posting this.

The part number of the cap is 54330 ED000 and they are available from a well known online auction site from £2.17 upwards for a pair. They are a push fit, no sealant required but a line of grease under the flange would help reduce water ingress.

A job well worth doing. :cool:
I have ordered these for my new '17 plate 30 Tekna - chopped my '16 plate 24 Tekna in as the PCP was due in July, this will be a keeper as I got it on a 0% deal and they gave me £400 less than I paid for the 24 against it - was a no brainer deal to do ! :)

41 - 60 of 78 Posts
About this Discussion
77 Replies
33 Participants
dm57
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing