Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'll pop this link in here because my post will get lost, and I think it's beneficial to everyone.

My gen 1 2012 Leaf obviously suffered from this water draining issue and the top of the strut corroded, albeit not as bad as some of the photos I've seen posted in this thread. This has caused the top mount (or insulator to give it its proper name) to completely fail and the top of the strut detatch from the car whilst I was driving!

I've now fixed it but the information contained within could be useful to others:

Front suspension failure

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ordered some of these 3d printed top mount covers and they fit extremely well. My driver side top mount was full of water but didn’t seem too rusty thankfully. I dried it out with kitchen paper and a hairdryer (!) and then greased up the nuts and fitted the covers.

I did however make one mistake which was not reading the eBay listing properly - they come as a pair and I ordered two by mistake. Peter who sells them has kindly offered to take them back for a refund, but I’ll sell them to anyone here for £20 inc postage - just drop me a private message, thanks. They’re red, which is the best colour for a white car ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
There are two threads here about this so adding the info here too:

A SAAB 9-5 1998-2001 "Valeo" headlight rear access covers are a perfect fit here. Just drill a small ventilation hole on them before fitting. They look totally stock when installed. Fitted those on a our 40 kWh after rummaging through my stash for something suitable.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The joys of living in a green and beutiful country is that lots of rain have proven the o.e. covers to be inadequate!
I have now fitted a pair of these:-

Suspension Strut Top Mount Cover 17141235901C > Caddy , Golf Cabrio , Golf Mk1 | eBay
(Note the price is for one.)

which have the advantage that I can get them off to check for water ingress without breaking my fingernails! Two weeks and so far tops are dry. (Costs more than a plastic pot though!)

·
Registered
45 Posts
The joys of living in a green and beutiful country is that lots of rain have proven the o.e. covers to be inadequate!
I have now fitted a pair of these:-

Suspension Strut Top Mount Cover 17141235901C > Caddy , Golf Cabrio , Golf Mk1 | eBay
(Note the price is for one.)

which have the advantage that I can get them off to check for water ingress without breaking my fingernails! Two weeks and so far tops are dry. (Costs more than a plastic pot though!)
Got these ones myself, fit perfectly.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Just an update, I split the cost of a set of the proper 3D printed ones with my mate so we have one each on the driver's side. When I went to remove the VW one, it had worked itself loose and wasn't fitted any more. This may be due to the bad bumpy country lanes I drive down every day but despite them being a tight fit to start with, they obviously worked loose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys,

Im from the Netherlands and discovered this issue al well. My brother can print these caps for you if you guys want. Tested them for about 7 days in rain and all is dry.

Printing takes 7 hrs for two caps (now called a set)

Im still figuring out shipping cost to the UK but i reckon we can ship a set for 13-15gbp inc postage. (If you're interested that is).
Have shipped out about 7 sets this far acros the Netherlands and belgium. A topic and pictures can be found here: Interessepeiling front strut covers Gen1, Gen1 lees aub. - NEC-"Nissan Electric Club"
"Customer" fittings on page 4

Note you, I'm not a company and just a private hobbyist driving an old gen1.

·
Registered
2 Posts
20190428_154849.jpg

20190428_180648.jpg

IMG-20190426-WA0013.jpg

Regarding inage above:
The two blocks printed on the inside cause a 5degree slope which will allow water to flow off it and not stand on

IMG-20190426-WA0001.jpg

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
@PaulSp I discovered this Nissan Leaf design flaw about 4 years ago when trying to improve the poor performance of the screen washers by adding jets to the wipers themselves. I spotted that the drain hole from the wiper spindle sends water precisely into that strut top which is left unprotected. I immediately placed an empty upturned small tuna tin over the area after cleaning it out and that stayed in place for many months due to its weight and diameter that fitted exactly over the whole circular surrounding area. Later changed that for an empty yoghurt pot that was a friction fit over that outer circle and had a domed top to shed water away and down the wing drain route. Then people started to 3D print tops for sale or buy VW factory items that fit.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts

I have developed this noise on my LEAF in the last 2 weeks or so. Could this be the top bearing failure.

I don't think it is anything to do with the drivetrain (as the YouTube comments suggest) as I can hear this noise faintly when the car is in parked and the hand brake is on, if I rock the car from side to side with a bit of force.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I took it to my local mechanic too. See if he could hear it.

He asked me what radio station do you listen to?

I replied.....??? Ummmm EV news daily lol.

He said well turn the volume up a bit. These electric cars are too quiet. Obviously he was joking but if it gets any worse I'll have to pop it in the garage for an inspection.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts

I have developed this noise on my LEAF in the last 2 weeks or so. Could this be the top bearing failure.

I don't think it is anything to do with the drivetrain (as the YouTube comments suggest) as I can hear this noise faintly when the car is in parked and the hand brake is on, if I rock the car from side to side with a bit of force.
The more I think about it the more I think it may be the 'lack of grease on drivetrain shaft splines' bulletin Ntb12-055b.

Anyone had this work done. What is actually involved and is there anymore information about it. Can't find anything much about it on SpeakEV.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I thought I'd better add a data point here. I've just had a look at my car, despite being an early 2011 model, AND having the plastic caps fitted, the water has got in BOTH SIDES and it was all very rusty in there.

Looking @Dean Hamer 's photo, if that was the 'before' photo, mine looked like that 'after' much cleaning.
The caps I have feature a small hole in the top, but looking at them, if water drips on them from above, it will work its way around and underneath, filling the top of the unit.

I strongly suspect the caps will only serve to keep the area wet rather than dry.
Best get replacement caps that cover the whole thing, rather than 'official' ones.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Saw a post on this problem a couple of years ago and bought a pair of 3D printed caps from ebay (I think). Checked yesterday if they were doing the job and pleased to say no rust around top strut. These are blue and snap over the top strut about 4 inches in diameter. Try these.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts
About this Discussion
77 Replies
33 Participants
dm57
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing