Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Im gonna check mine again too. I got the VW Golf MK1 (recommended by member on here, thank you) ones and fitted approx a week ago.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just checked mine have the blue leaf logo 3D printed covers. Small amount of water pooling around thread so caps don't work in heavy rain it appears. Probably better than no caps but a PITA if we need to keep checking and drying after rain.
Think I will get a tube of grease from Screwfix and cover the top of the thread completely and dome it over and replace cap. Will check again in a month or after another heavy downpour.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
I still think that a small empty upturned tuna tin does this job best. Four years ago when I first spotted this Nissan design flaw I dug one from the waste bin and it solved the issue instantly at no cost. It fits over the entire area nicely and is heavy enough to stay in place during normal driving. There is no way that water dropping through that stupidly placed drain hole can reach the strut cup. I did add a blob of grease there though to protect the already damaged threads a bit.

·
Registered
139 Posts
UPDATE
Had a look at the blue 3D printed covers this morning and mine seem to be porous. Turned them over and ran some water into them and had bubbles of water permeating through the top. Wonder if this is the 3D print process as to injection moulded process.
Covered the top in gorilla tape and no water permeating. Replaced and will check again after some rain.

·
Registered
467 Posts
UPDATE
Had a look at the blue 3D printed covers this morning and mine seem to be porous. Turned them over and ran some water into them and had bubbles of water permeating through the top. Wonder if this is the 3D print process as to injection moulded process.
Covered the top in gorilla tape and no water permeating. Replaced and will check again after some rain.
Spray them. I have used https://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/car-spray-paints/halfords-clear-lacquer-500ml on 3d PET-G printed parts, not sure about nylon.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Checked this morning after yesterdays day of rain, no water in top strut looks like the gorilla tape has sealed the porous 3D printed cover.

·
Registered
131 Posts
That's interesting. Didn't occur to me to check either. My car's in a garage when it's not being used so it's out of the worse of the rain (usually). Was all bone dry on mine but I've sprayed the covers, inside and out, with clear exterior varnish, just in case.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just want to add my thanks, had a look this evening and found a pool of water in the drivers side, rust forming. Dried it and got the VW caps from eBay installed and I'll plop some grease in there when it's next in the garage.

·
Registered
43 Posts
What type of grease are suitable for this location?
Grease is grease as far as I'm concerned, I'll just ask at the garage for a blob when I'm next there (service next month) as I'm not spending money getting a whole tube just for a blob!
I did hear someone else mention lithium grease though.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I still have a couple of tubs of that stuff. A leftover form those days we used to go crawling around under cars with a grease gun looking for virtually invisible nipples covered in years of dirt and grime...

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
I have noticed that some of these covers sit within the strut opening, others sit outside the formed opening.
Quite. Which is why my first emergency fix a few years ago was a small upturned tuna tin that sat wholly outside the circular outer rim. Later I changed it for a cut-down yoghurt pot that wedged over that outer rim in your picture to hold it firmly in place. With the entire area covered there was no way that water dripping through that ridiculously placed drain hole could get into the strut top. Just covering the inner area still lets water settle around it and possibly splash underneath the cap as the car bounces around.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Glad you confirm my thoughts.

The cover I purchased did cover the outer rim but it leaks. I contacted the seller and he said that it was meant to be a bit porous to stop condensation building up. Don't go with that idea. Think I will just paint them.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You could paint the tops to stop water dripping through but leave the sides unpainted to allow moisture out. I can't imagine why you'd get condensation in there though. It's not like a thin bit of plastic is going to lead to a huge temperature differential. If it does, just drill a little hole in the side!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Just been drying mine out and discovered that there was a pool of water on the drivers side by the suspension strut. There is a small drainage hole around 12mm square that had got blocked with general debris. Cleared that and water poured out underneath.

·
872 Posts
I have noticed that some of these covers sit within the stut opening, others sit outside the formed opening.

See below for the former

View attachment 123804
I've found these tougher than the larger circular ones. No problems with leakage but following posts here have given them a coat of waterproofing stuff, just in case.

I'd suggest it should be part of your under bonnet checks when bi-annually topping up the washer bottle. Check the caps are doing their job, drain holes are clear and no crud is building up.

81 - 100 of 114 Posts