Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a Gen 1 with factory fitted caps which don't prevent water pooling in the strut top mount. It looks to me as though caps that just cover the strut mount will result in water pooling within the circular outer rim - does that happen and is it a problem? If that is the case then (setting aside tuna tins and yogurt pots) the larger circular 3D printed caps availalbe on Ebay are better solution, albeit they have to be painted to make them water tight?

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
If the sight of a zero cost tuna tin or yoghurt pot ( that incidentally will do a better job than all of the eBay solutions ) offends your eye then just paint the tin a nice shade of purple with white roses. This is a contest over efficiency against appearance. A suitably selected yoghurt pot that is a good interference fit over the entire area works far better than 3D printed items. At no cost.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If the sight of a zero cost tuna tin or yoghurt pot ( that incidentally will do a better job than all of the eBay solutions ) offends your eye then just paint the tin a nice shade of purple with white roses. This is a contest over efficiency against appearance. A suitably selected yoghurt pot that is a good interference fit over the entire area works far better than 3D printed items. At no cost.
Sorry - didn't mean to offend!

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Sorry - didn't mean to offend!
Not offended in any way. Just puzzled about why people seem to think that if they actually spend money on such a simple water shield they get a better result. Sometimes they don't - as seen by the porous nature of some products that require additional DIY painting action to waterproof them. Trust me - a yoghurt pot is waterproof in the first place. Sometimes the KISS principle is worth following.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Which specific yoghurt or tuna would you recommend that works for you?

We rarely buy either of those often, so don't have any suitable in the fridge.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Which specific yoghurt or tuna would you recommend that works for you?
I sold my Leaf over a year ago so I can't go and look. Back when I first spotted this problem I just raided the recycling bin for anything that was approximately the right diameter to cover the entire area. The first thing to hand was a small tuna tin which was a loose fit but its weight kept it in place. I thought that it might jump off if the car hit a bump so rummaged around for a replacement. I tried cutting the bottom off a 2 ltr coke bottle - about 3" from the bottom. Still a bit of a loose fit. Then found an empty large yoghurt pot that fitted perfectly. A good tight push fit over the outer ring to that area. No idea what brand. The trick might be to measure the OD of that whole outer fitting and then confuse Tesco shelf stackers as you wander around measuring the top rim of small plastic pots holding various products. Not forgetting that large containers can be cut down from the base to be a perfect fit too. I suspect that a 500g Ovaltine jar won't be very far from the ideal diameter. All good clean fun on a rainy Saturday morning.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I sold my Leaf over a year ago so I can't go and look. Back when I first spotted this problem I just raided the recycling bin for anything that was approximately the right diameter to cover the entire area. The first thing to hand was a small tuna tin which was a loose fit but its weight kept it in place. I thought that it might jump off if the car hit a bump so rummaged around for a replacement. I tried cutting the bottom off a 2 ltr coke bottle - about 3" from the bottom. Still a bit of a loose fit. Then found an empty large yoghurt pot that fitted perfectly. A good tight push fit over the outer ring to that area. No idea what brand. The trick might be to measure the OD of that whole outer fitting and then confuse Tesco shelf stackers as you wander around measuring the top rim of small plastic pots holding various products. Not forgetting that large containers can be cut down from the base to be a perfect fit too. I suspect that a 500g Ovaltine jar won't be very far from the ideal diameter. All good clean fun on a rainy Saturday morning.
Thanks. Unless other poster can answer, I shall try to find time to have a look around. I'll measure the 3D printed lid first should be easier to measure than top struct.

Problem is the 1.5 yr old I need to look after whenever I'm home thus very little time (day time especially now) to quietly do things I want to do.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Thanks. Unless other poster can answer, I shall try to find time to have a look around. I'll measure the 3D printed lid first should be easier to measure than top struct.

Problem is the 1.5 yr old I need to look after whenever I'm home thus very little time (day time especially now) to quietly do things I want to do.
Piece of string to measure around the top lip of the strut and then Circumference equal to Pi times Diameter should be an easy and accurate way of measuring the diameter.

·
Registered
18 Posts

In your position, given that you already have the 3D cover and assuming it fits well, I'd use the Halfords lacquer mentioned earlier in this thread to seal it. Wandering round Tesco with a 1.5 yr old trying to measure plastic food pots is not my idea of fun!

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
OK - Forget Tesco - ( Other supermarkets are available) - despite the fact that you already wander around there every few days anyway.

Instead, take your 18-month child to find a branch of Halfords and wander around there instead - to spend £10 for one brush full of lacquer.

Personally, If I had been persuaded to buy a 3D cap that turned out to be porous I would shrug and stick a yoghurt pot over it. Belt n braces style. Job done.

But then again some would say that I have a yoghurt pot fetish. ;)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I've already put heavy duty tape on the 3D printed cover. But everytime I check it, I can press it down slightly, meaning viberation from driving must have moved it up.
I've had Nissan dealer put a bit of grease in there to prevent water from getting into the threads. The taped cover seems to be doing its job, so far.

But because the cover seem to move and need checking often. I'd rather have a different and permenent solution that doesn't require checking and stays put.

Does other people's 3D printed cover also move up after driving a few weeks?

·
872 Posts
Does other people's 3D printed cover also move up after driving a few weeks?
No, not even three years later. Perhaps you have a duff cover/ covers?
The smaller ones click into place so maybe they are a better bet. While they don't cover the full circular area, they protect the metal bits which is the main thing. And so much neater than DIY efforts.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mine haven't moved after a couple of months. If it's just vibration, some thick grease spread around the inside rim might be enough to hold them in place but it shouldn't be necessary for a good interference fit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have found 2 of these to be a perfect fit over the complete strut. It's a squeeze to get it through the hole, but the plastic is flexible enough. They are from Aldi for 99p. The yogurt isn't bad either! the
IMG_20191116_185659350.jpg

101 - 114 of 114 Posts