Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm a new GTE owner. I keep the car outside on the drive, plugged into my PodPoint so I can use e-manager etc.
Lots of rain the last few days - and last night a frost. The cable connector was frozen solid into the car and I couldn't remove it for ages.
This seems to defeat the object of the preheat / de-ice functions if you can't just drive away!
The angle of the port means that water will get trapped in it during wet weather. Any tips on preventing the connector from welding itself into the car with ice?
I saw one user recommend wrapping a towel around it but I'm not big on pre-planning! Is there a more elegant solution? Might WD-40 or petroleum jelly help? Other ideas?
Also seen the suggestion of a hairdryer but there must be a better way! Thanks

·
VW Passat GTE
7 Posts
I had this happened on my Passat GTE. It was actually the locking pin that got frozen and not the plug. In my case I was blowing hot air form hairdryer at the plug for a few minutes (it was -18 outside ;) ). That didn't work. So I have opened the hood and found out a small revision directly on top of the plug location that I could open and the locking mechanism got exposed. I have blow the hairdryer on it for 20sec and it go released immediately after that.

I bet there is a button or something inside there to force manual override, but it was late evening so I couldn't see well enough and it never happened again to investigate :)

Attachments

·
Registered
865 Posts
New recall to fit a ring to stop this happening, a bit late now it's warmed up a bit.
When is the recall starting? Does it apply to both Golf and Passat GTE? Just wondering as mine is due for its first service at the end of this month and wondering if I should try to get the recall work done then.

·
dDes
37 Posts
try some ACF50. I'm going to do the whole engine bay and electrics with it when i get it.
I done it on a 54 plate golf 1.4fsi and bmw 116 engine bays. Both running fine with no damp issues in the engine.
Also done my ducati with it, and that running great. therefore its safe for the electrics.
im gonna read up on it first though before putting all over the hybrid engine.

·
Registered
865 Posts
The issue with the frozen charge connector was due to moisture getting between the female socket on the car and the male plug. I don't think a water repellent would solve this and I would not want to put anything hydrophobic (likely flammable) anywhere near mains voltage electrics. VW have hopefully solved it with their recall adding rubber covering rings to the ends of the cables.

With regards to the engine bay, it is not particularly exposed. The GTE has a metal undertray that extends a bit further back than most Golfs. I would have concerns about having the product near the high voltage electrics in the engine bay. In theory they should all be well covered and insulated but a liquid product would risk getting past a slight defect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts