Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well nice and icy this morning.

I'd left my car outside the office last two nights, where it's been sat off charge. My wife gave me a lift to collect it early this morning...

After finding it, someone at the office thought it would be funny to move it with the spare key (this narrows down the culprits to a very shortlist) to our other building. Do they not realise I have an app that shows me where it is?

I get home, and went to plug it in.. Chargeport frozen shut :(

I finally got it open (and no I didn't pee on it!) by pushing at the flap, pressing the open from the dash, getting out and pushing it, get back in the car pressing open... probably took 3 times before it opened just enough to gently prise it open.

Great, success!!!

Then I went to plug the cable in and it wouldn't fit. Hmm..

I don't normally take the cable with me, and leave it plugged in to the charge point, with the car end hooked on the fence next to the car's chargeport. Turns out the weather proof cap thing isn't all that weather proof evidently, it lets water into the cap, but not back out, so the inside of the charge cable is a nice big block of ice.

Today's messing about in the shed will be making a weather proof storage box. :D

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Well nice and icy this morning.

I'd left my car outside the office last two nights, where it's been sat off charge. My wife gave me a lift to collect it early this morning...

After finding it, someone at the office thought it would be funny to move it with the spare key (this narrows down the culprits to a very shortlist) to our other building. Do they not realise I have an app that shows me where it is?

I get home, and went to plug it in.. Chargeport frozen shut :(

I finally got it open (and no I didn't pee on it!) by pushing at the flap, pressing the open from the dash, getting out and pushing it, get back in the car pressing open... probably took 3 times before it opened just enough to gently prise it open.

Great, success!!!

Then I went to plug the cable in and it wouldn't fit. Hmm..

I don't normally take the cable with me, and leave it plugged in to the charge point, with the car end hooked on the fence next to the car's chargeport. Turns out the weather proof cap thing isn't all that weather proof evidently, it lets water into the cap, but not back out, so the inside of the charge cable is a nice big block of ice.

Today's messing about in the shed will be making a weather proof storage box. :D
I noticed that the Leaf manual actually recommends using a hair dryer if there is ice in the charge socket to avoid risk of damage to the socket or plug.

·
Registered
25 Posts
another Model S driver reporting a "freezing chargeport"...

Sorry for the late reply...

I got my Model S washed in freezing weather, and unsurprisingly found the ChargePoint cover was frozen shut. This is not the first time, and I've learned that unlocking the cover and then delivering a solid blow with the heel of your palm to the aft portion of the cover will work wonders.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Sorry for the late reply...

I got my Model S washed in freezing weather, and unsurprisingly found the ChargePoint cover was frozen shut. This is not the first time, and I've learned that unlocking the cover and then delivering a solid blow with the heel of your palm to the aft portion of the cover will work wonders.
Excellent tip!

The chargeport is only held closed by a magnet anyway - there's no actual "lock" involved* - so as long as you have some way to grip it (either by prising it with a plastic tool, or perhaps even using a suction cup of some sort) you can just pull it open. A powerful magnet might even override it.

* the very latest cars with motorised chargeport doors may be different

·
Registered
268 Posts
The 6.1 update allows you to open the charge port from the FOB so that may help with the opening process when frozen. Tons of snow/ice here but no frozen charge port yet thank goodness. They should have some kind of de-icer around it.
Fob Diagram.jpg

·
Registered
268 Posts
I take that last comment back. I managed to freeze my charge port the other day. A combination of the charge port holding on the fob with pressing along the edges to try to break the ice free got it open.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts