Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my Frunk fitted for about 8 weeks now and I really wouldn't be without it. It got the bigger one, that closes up to the bonnet and it's a much better place to store the charging cables and my breakdown bits and pieces than under the boot floor. The grey bag at the back has my 3-pin Granny Charger and all the tyre gunk in it. There is actually nothing at all under my boot floor now. I've moved everything into the front. It's so much easier to access.

I also have the gas strut bonnet lifters. They are also really good. And actually quite good value.

·
Registered
VW e-Up! 2020
106 Posts
This is how all cars should be by default. Storing cables under the boot floor is quite stupid - when you're carrying anything in the boot you can't get to them, and when you're not you might as well just have them thrown into the boot.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is how all cars should be by default. Storing cables under the boot floor is quite stupid - when you're carrying anything in the boot you can't get to them, and when you're not you might as well just have them thrown into the boot.
Agreed, and when you think where the charge port is, it makes even more sense to have the cables there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Where did you get that frunk and was it hard to install it? Looks great, I've been thinking for some time to get one.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Where did you get that frunk and was it hard to install it? Looks great, I've been thinking for some time to get one.
www.Frunk.at

It's literally 10 seconds to install it. It uses the engine cover mounting points so you pull the engine cover off and position the frunk on the rubber mounts and press down firmly. That's it.

It works best with the optional gas bonnet struts but you can use it with the standard manual strut.

·
Registered
618 Posts
This was my answer to a "froot" or "frunk". It did spark a debate about modification of the vehicle for insurance purposes and crumple zone safety.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wonder if they are still willing to ship to the UK? The table of shipping costs doesn't include the UK so I rather suspect they don't know about the new rules.
It was always like that. Previously we were under 'Rest of EU, incl. Switzerland'. If you e-mail info at frunk at they'll be happy to send you a frunk but you may now have to pay import duties once it lands in the UK. They ship to countries outside the EU all the time so the customs declaration thing is pretty normal for them.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This was my answer to a "froot" or "frunk". It did spark a debate about modification of the vehicle for insurance purposes and crumple zone safety.
I discussed the crumple zone and pedestrian impact thing with the rep from LV and he ran it past his Technical contact who said it was fine. Frunk can't sell it in Europe without running it past their local TueV and they've passed it. So it's been evaluated by someone as safe.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
It was always like that. Previously we were under 'Rest of EU, incl. Switzerland'. If you e-mail info at frunk at they'll be happy to send you a frunk but you may now have to pay import duties once it lands in the UK. They ship to countries outside the EU all the time so the customs declaration thing is pretty normal for them.
I was more concerned about the VAT, they probably won't have dealt with our new VAT system yet which I think means you'll have to pay UK VAT even though Austrian VAT was already paid, but it would be nice to know.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They'll ship it before VAT with a customs declaration form then you pay the UK VAT to the courier when it comes into the UK.

·
Registered
289 Posts
They'll ship it before VAT with a customs declaration form then you pay the UK VAT to the courier when it comes into the UK.
The UK-EU agreement requires any EU seller to collect the UK VAT and pay it to the UK government. Sellers have to pay to register before they can do that, so small sellers aren’t bothering.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
538 Posts
If you want to DIY then see my final frunk thread

·
Registered
EU base model with heat pump Sept '18
571 Posts
Just as an observation, every EV that has a factory-fitted frunk has trim covering and protecting the surrounding mechanicals from items that may happen to spill out. In this case those gloves and the radiator fan would be my main concern.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just as an observation, every EV that has a factory-fitted frunk has trim covering and protecting the surrounding mechanicals from items that may happen to spill out. In this case those gloves and the radiator fan would be my main concern.
you can’t see it but the Frunk VERY closely fits to the underside of the bonnet. Those gloves aren’t going anywhere.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
538 Posts
Mine has a lid.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts